Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 09:45 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
Yeah, but why did she call police after he entered his apartment?
That's kind of weird. Yeah.

she should have left him alone at that point. Maybe she just found it odd that he refused to show her his keypad? I think at that moment, (he refused to show the keypad), her mind was made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I absolutely agree with you. For me though, I just let anybody in because I don't want to make enemies. (bad, I know.)

I used to live in a secured apt complex when I was in college. The leasing manager aka the realtors also live in that building. They had a office downstairs and one of the ladies told me very kindly that I shouldn't let anybody without a keypad enter the building. If I enjoyed the extra security of living in the building, then I need to do my part. I think she was right.

This woman in the story is a realtor, I highly doubt a realtor can afford a "racist" label. I believe 'racial profiling" label the media gave her is awfully unfair.

I'd say that "race relationship" (whatever that means) was the worst thing to have been blown out of proportion in the 21st century America. It is getting old and ridiculous.

I don't think this woman deserves to be fired nor do I think she is a racist of any kind (well, based on the video at least). I think she "thought" she was doing her job as a responsible resident living in that building. Then again, I also believe employers can fire her for whatever the reasons. Is it fair? No, but it is what it is.
Do I think she should forever be labeled as a racist? Oh, no, it is not fair to her.

This seems to be a blind spot for some people.

You see someone you think doesn't belong because they don't look the part - based on their gender and/or race. Such assumptions are part of our day-to-day existence and are negative stereotypes - which are by their very nature discriminatory (which if applied because of race IS racism). We all do it, including minorities but that doesn't make it acceptable.

Personally, I think this woman has reaped what she sowed.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
This seems to be a blind spot for some people.

You see someone you think doesn't belong because they don't look the part - based on their gender and/or race. Such assumptions are part of our day-to-day existence and are negative stereotypes - which are by their very nature discriminatory (which if applied because of race IS racism). We all do it, including minorities but that doesn't make it acceptable.

Personally, I think this woman has reaped what she sowed.
This is the thing: Based on the video, I don't get the "she saw somebody she thought didn't belong.." part.

I think she saw somebody without a keypad, that is all.

I watched the video twice, it looks like she was asking him, "Do you have something like this (showing him her keypad)" The man refused to show her his keypad. No more no less.

She is a realtor, I highly doubt she didn't know black pepople do live in one of those buildings. lol

Plus, that building is nowhere near "luxury apartment building", it is average or slightly above average at best. Media only call that luxury apt building to lead audiences to make the "privileged white woman against minority" conclusion.

Plus, we have no ideas what she would do in this situation if the person without the keypad was a white man or a white woman.

My parents lived in a security community, when my friends came to visit me while I was living with my folks, the security guards never let them in. One of my friends said, "I drive a $160,000 car, they would let me in." No, they didn't. Some people follow the rules, some people don't. I don't know the woman's intention, so I'd refrain from giving her any label that will potentially ruin her entire career and life. Like I said, I'd let anybody in with or without a keypad, but come to think of it, I really should have done my job as a resident living there.

If I saw something, would I say something?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-17-2018 at 10:01 AM..

Old 10-17-2018, 09:53 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Give her a break.
She is a Democrat.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:00 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
Yeah, but why did she call police after he entered his apartment?
She was carrying this to extremes, yes. And probably isn't someone I'd choose to spend time with. For what it's worth, her ex-husband to be (whose African American) placed a video on FB where he said his sympathies were with the guy.

Still, the first talk of "police involvement" came from the man. After he pushed through her, she loudly objected and he said she could call the police if she didn't like that. She followed him up on the elevator, and at times appeared to try to be more conciliatory. He wasn't having any of it, probably understandably. As he shut his door, he said something (not going back again) about how horrible she was.

I do think he consistently refused to use the key fob. And so she continued on her path of refusing to back down. The whole thing is stupid, yes. The man said that he showed the video to the police - where she's not accusing him of attacking her, she doesn't seem to overplay the pushing although maybe she did later to the police?

The woman wanted to escalate her version (calling the police); the man wanted to escalate his version (placing the video on Facebook).

Both seek validation, and want the other labelled in the wrong. Lots of feuds start this way.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:02 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
She would have been snatched bald if she had accosted a black woman tenant like that.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post

I do think he consistently refused to use the key fob. And so she continued on her path of refusing to back down. The whole thing is stupid, yes. The man said that he showed the video to the police - where she's not accusing him of attacking her, she doesn't seem to overplay the pushing although maybe she did later to the police?

The woman wanted to escalate her version (calling the police); the man wanted to escalate his version (placing the video on Facebook).

Both seek validation, and want the other labelled in the wrong. Lots of feuds start this way.
Yes absolutely.

A simple community has gone wrong. One woman got fired and now became a media star.

Maybe it is just me, but this woman doesn't deserve what she got. I can't really honestly say she was in the wrong. Her career and life is now ruined. so not worth it.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:06 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes absolutely.

A simple community has gone wrong. One woman got fired and now became a media star.

Maybe it is just me, but this woman doesn't deserve what she got. I can't really honestly say she was in the wrong. Her career and life is now ruined. so not worth it.
Self Employed people don't have these problems.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Self Employed people don't have these problems.
well, I hope she could be able to rebuild her life. Not like she is a child molester here, but in this country, once being labeled a racist, your life is pretty much over.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:10 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
She would have been snatched bald if she had accosted a black woman tenant like that.
There's a stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies