Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 10:56 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
This is called "The left eating itself"
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 11:00 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I absolutely agree with you. For me though, I just let anybody in because I don't want to make enemies. (bad, I know.)

I used to live in a secured apt complex when I was in college. The leasing manager aka the realtors also live in that building. They had a office downstairs and one of the ladies told me very kindly that I shouldn't let anybody without a keypad enter the building. If I enjoyed the extra security of living in the building, then I need to do my part. I think she was right.

This woman in the story is a realtor, I highly doubt a realtor can afford a "racist" label. I believe 'racial profiling" label the media gave her is awfully unfair.

I'd say that "race relationship" (whatever that means) was the worst thing to have been blown out of proportion in the 21st century America. It is getting old and ridiculous.

I don't think this woman deserves to be fired nor do I think she is a racist of any kind (well, based on the video at least). I think she "thought" she was doing her job as a responsible resident living in that building. Then again, I also believe employers can fire her for whatever the reasons. Is it fair? No, but it is what it is.
Do I think she should forever be labeled as a racist? Oh, no, it is not fair to her.
So you think she "thought" she was doing her job as a responsible resident by harassing the man who showed her his key and then following him to his apartment and then calling the police AFTER he let himself into the apartment with his key?

I can agree that she is not necessarily a racist. But she is a lunatic a-hole and it's her own stupid fault that she lost her job. If she worked for me and acted as the face of my company, I'd fire her immediately. No company wants to deal with someone dumb enough to get themselves caught acting like a deranged idiot on a viral video.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
So you think she "thought" she was doing her job as a responsible resident by harassing the man who showed her his key and then following him to his apartment and then calling the police AFTER he let himself into the apartment with his key?

I can agree that she is not necessarily a racist. But she is a lunatic a-hole and it's her own stupid fault that she lost her job. If she worked for me and acted as the face of my company, I'd fire her immediately. No company wants to deal with someone dumb enough to get themselves caught acting like a deranged idiot on a viral video.
well, didn't I just say I think companies have the right to fire her? Do I think it is fair? absolutely not.

I don't believe the "racist" label some people gave her is fair, that is all.

I don't call annoying people racist, I call them annoying. Plus I still didn't see the part where he showed her the key (watched the video for the third time.)

Like I posted earlier, the possible scenario is that the man buzzed in at the same time she walked out. So she was convinced that he did not "buzz in." Her mind was made. She could try a different approach. Close the door and let the man "buzz in" again. Problem solved. She certainly didn't have to act like the CIA to do her own Interrogation, but sheesh, let's not pretend we are dealing with a racist here.

She is just The kind of person you just want to stay away from for being so darn annoying.But let her be, no need to call her a racist or anything.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Yes, you said that they *could* fire her but you didn't think it was fair. I think it was more than fair. As a business owner, I have to be aware of what and who is representing my brand. I would hire nobody who gave me the impression that they would show up on a viral video harassing someone of any color. And if someone I hired did act that way, they'd be canned in a red-hot second.

You also stated that maybe she thought she was doing her job. Um, no. Anyone who thinks their job is to bother the police with, "hello, a man just used his own key to enter his own apartment, but he was uppity and would not give the the information I demanded about where he lives," is just a moron.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:09 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
He shows her the key right around the one minute mark.

Her: You don't have a key fob.
Him: (jingles the keys.)
Her: Well, if you have that, then... okay.

And yet she continued to block the door.
This is becoming an exercise in memory! I could not find the the last statement although it somehow sounds familiar? When the keys were held up and jingled (and I do think they were his keys) ... what I hear is:

Him: "I've already buzzed in." With the bunch of keys seeming "proof."
Her: "You did not (said emphatically)."
Him: "It does not even matter. Can you get out of my way."
Her: "No. Can you show me the key pad."
Him: "I'm not showing you anything."

And then almost immediately he pushed through. If the key pad was on the ring it would have taken 2 seconds.

In an interview she explained that since she did not know him personally she chose to ask for the key fob to comply with the condo memos that folks not known to be residents not be allowed to enter.

I can see why he misinterpreted her insistence, particularly since she already had the door open waiting for the dog (I think). She couldn't quickly close the door and breeze pass him with a "sorry," which is how most would handle this scenario.

That she got into that whole interchange is her fault; there would have been NO need for her to interrogate - even under her own rationale - if she hadn't been holding that door open. Me, I hate it when folks let their dogs tingle right by the front door for the uric acid kills the bushes.

The man explained in an interview that he started videoing because he was worried that he might face some sort of accusation. Frankly, this I don't quite get if he'd been willing to ask her to get the dog inside, close the door, then use his key fop. She pointed to pad at one point and seemingly would have cooperated it its use.

But while it was his responsibility to key himself in IF that was complicated by her holding the door open for the dog well then her defense that she needed to ask for proof of residency is weakened. That was an imposition that she was placing on him for her own convenience (the dog). And for that he deserved explanations and apologies for any enforcement of the "rules."

So maybe she was a pissy *****. The woman started this but being videotaped may have played some role in her refusal to back down.

Edited to add: I'm sure assuming here that the key fob is electronic and it is almost certainly different from an apartment key. She showed him her fob at one point, as an example. Again, both could have ended this. They guy clearly wasn't a threat as this conversation went on ... she could have let the "rules" go but chose not to. He could have showed her the fob OR ignored her completely (as was his right) and simply closed the door and keyed himself in.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:15 AM

I assumed the "key pad" was perhaps where people hit the numbers if they don't have their fob out or if the reader doesn't read their fob for some reason. So I think he probably walked past the reader with his fob in hand and since she was blocking the door, it didn't do anything. She was asking him to punch the code into the keypad. He definitely jingled his keys at her, and that's where the key fob would be, so she saw it. She was asking for additional steps because she had appointed herself Keeper of the Open Door so Fluffy could pee on or near the sidewalk where everyone had to walk. Because that's being a good neighbor, LOL.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
This is becoming an exercise in memory! I could not find the the last statement although it somehow sounds familiar? When the keys were held up and jingled (and I do think they were his keys) ... what I hear is:

Him: "I've already buzzed in." With the bunch of keys seeming "proof."
Her: "You did not (said emphatically)."
Him: "It does not even matter. Can you get out of my way."
Her: "No. Can you show me the key pad."
Him: "I'm not showing you anything."

And then almost immediately he pushed through. If the key pad was on the ring it would have taken 2 seconds.

In an interview she explained that since she did not know him personally she chose to ask for the key fob to comply with the condo memos that folks not known to be residents not be allowed to enter.

I can see why he misinterpreted her insistence, particularly since she already had the door open waiting for the dog (I think). She couldn't quickly close the door and breeze pass him with a "sorry," which is how most would handle this scenario.

That she got into that whole interchange is her fault; there would have been NO need for her to interrogate - even under her own rationale - if she hadn't been holding that door open. Me, I hate it when folks let their dogs tingle right by the front door for the uric acid kills the bushes.

The man explained in an interview that he started videoing because he was worried that he might face some sort of accusation. Frankly, this I don't quite get if he'd been willing to ask her to get the dog inside, close the door, then use his key fop. She pointed to pad at one point and seemingly would have cooperated it its use.

But while it was his responsibility to key himself in IF that was complicated by her holding the door open for the dog well then her defense that she needed to ask for proof of residency is weakened. That was an imposition that she was placing on him for her own convenience (the dog). And for that he deserved explanations and apologies for any enforcement of the "rules."

So maybe she was a pissy *****. The woman started this but being videotaped may have played some role in her refusal to back down.
lol Yes! She could have tried a different approach.

Be polite, close the door and let the man "buzz in " again, not hard to do.

This kind of people is generally viewed as liability of a company, so I don't blame the company for firing her. However, I certainly believe the "racist" label has been given the woman is NOT an accurate label.

She doesn't sound very calm or balanced, but video did not show she is a racist. Based on the bold, yes, I do believe she "thought" she was doing what she was supposed to be doing as a resident living there.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:31 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
lol
LOL? Yeah that's what I thought

Old 10-17-2018, 11:53 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
I assumed the "key pad" was perhaps where people hit the numbers if they don't have their fob out or if the reader doesn't read their fob for some reason. So I think he probably walked past the reader with his fob in hand and since she was blocking the door, it didn't do anything. She was asking him to punch the code into the keypad. He definitely jingled his keys at her, and that's where the key fob would be, so she saw it. She was asking for additional steps because she had appointed herself Keeper of the Open Door so Fluffy could pee on or near the sidewalk where everyone had to walk. Because that's being a good neighbor, LOL.
The problem is that the video started once both were mad and went downhill from there. She may well be sort of entitled, with the dog pee zone an example for I hate the resulting smells and dead grass, too. However, she handled it would be an imposition - either having to wait while she dragged the dog in for the door to be shut OR submit to a show-and-tell. So, yes, a lot of self-focus.

The man struck me as offended and hurt and angry, which is understandable for racism exists. He appeared to not want to cooperate out of pride, and did refuse to show her the fob right after he jingled the keys in her face. But I actually think he misjudged kooky for racist. Keepers of the Rules under All Circumstances tend to like to apply them across the board or when the mood strikes them.

It was not her role to interrogate but if she HAD to enforce security (which is legitimate) explain, apologize and politely close the door he could key in. The time to introduce herself to a new neighbor was at that front door not later up stairs in the hallway. And maybe that was the reason for the questions; that information would mean she "knew" him." But had she no empathy to realize how he heard it.

For heaven's sake, she'd been married to an African-American; how could she not "get" his indignation? Maybe the funny part (or not, this isn't funny) is that she may well have seen him just as a person and, self-focused, didn't key in to his probable interpretation. Hard to guess. It was strange. She did seem honestly indignant when he pushed his way by her.

And her ex-husband-to-be sure isn't fond of her.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I guess this is how men handle conflict now, run like a little girl to social media.
Yes, expose these people. Incidents like these are taken place way too often across this country. Then if he had acted all belligerent with her, what would you be saying then. Thank God for todays technology, otherwise hardly anyone would believe these incidents are going on in this country today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies