Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is the thing: Based on the video, I don't get the "she saw somebody she thought didn't belong.." part.

I think she saw somebody without a keypad, that is all.

I watched the video twice, it looks like she was asking him, "Do you have something like this (showing him her keypad)" The man refused to show her his keypad. No more no less.

She is a realtor, I highly doubt she didn't know black pepople do live in one of those buildings. lol

Plus, that building is nowhere near "luxury apartment building", it is average or slightly above average at best. Media only call that luxury apt building to lead audiences to make the "privileged white woman against minority" conclusion.

Plus, we have no ideas what she would do in this situation if the person without the keypad was a white man or a white woman.

My parents lived in a security community, when my friends came to visit me while I was living with my folks, the security guards never let them in. One of my friends said, "I drive a $160,000 car, they would let me in." No, they didn't. Some people follow the rules, some people don't. I don't know the woman's intention, so I'd refrain from giving her any label that will potentially ruin her entire career and life. Like I said, I'd let anybody in with or without a keypad, but come to think of it, I really should have done my job as a resident living there.

If I saw something, would I say something?

I watched it too, the video picks up after the initial contact. The man says something like I already showed you my key - in any case she is not security and that is not her job to challenge entrants. She wants to call security then that would be an appropriate response to her concerns.

As it was she tried to block him then followed him all the way to his unit still questioning him and after she watched him enter with a key, she still called the police. Imagine if you were that dude and some busybody got it in their head to do that to you. How would you react ? Probably more aggressively than he did.

By whatever reasonable standard you want to apply her behavior was way over the top and karma was quickly forthcoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I watched it too, the video picks up after the initial contact. The man says something like I already showed you my key -.
I didn't see this part. Maybe I missed it.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,091,368 times
Quote:
Maybe it is just me, but this woman doesn't deserve what she got. I can't really honestly say she was in the wrong. Her career and life is now ruined. so not worth it.
I am somewhat torn after sleeping on this issue. As soon as I saw the video, I was disgusted by her actions and glad she got what happened to her (fired from her job, humiliated before all her family and friends).

However, after watching it again today, I'm still glad about what happened to her. I think it's the way she went about it. If she would have handled it differently, the entire situation could've gone a lot smoother.

But she was very aggressive. She physically blocked his path and prevented him from entering his home. She was condescending and rude. Some of those gun-toting crazy people in this country probably would've pulled out a gun and blown her away, claiming self defense.

She kept saying "I'm not being rude, I'm not being disrespectful" yet she somehow saw herself as some kind of authority figure or property manager, demanding that he show her proof that he lives there? That is absolute madness! He doesn't owe her a damn thing and doesn't have to show her anything. I would have been furious.

She then got off the elevator on his floor and followed him to his apartment. She was EXTREMELY condescending and rude. I am happy she's been fired and I hope everybody she knows...family, friends, coworkers, classmates, are disappointed in her.

I am so proud of the young man for handling himself properly and taking the high road and let her embarrass herself without being rude to her.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:

As it was she tried to block him then followed him all the way to his unit still questioning him and after she watched him enter with a key, she still called the police. Imagine if you were that dude and some busybody got it in their head to do that to you. How would you react ? Probably more aggressively than he did.

I'd show her the key, if she still blocked me from entering, I'd call the cops on her. Simple for me.

However, based on the video, I didn't see him showing her the key, maybe I missed that part. To me, showing the key is an important part of the entire story.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:21 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There's a stereotype.
Perhaps any other woman would have perceived her using her body as a bulwark as a physical challenge. A man would not perceive her body as a physical challenge.
I think two men or two women in this scenario would have resulted in a physical altercation. If I used my body as a bulwark against another man I would be physically challenging him like a body guard or bouncer is paid to do. That might be why her employer thought her judgement might not be consistent with the company's reputation.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I am somewhat torn after sleeping on this issue. As soon as I saw the video, I was disgusted by her actions and glad she got what happened to her (fired from her job, humiliated before all her family and friends).

However, after watching it again today, I'm still glad about what happened to her. I think it's the way she went about it. If she would have handled it differently, the entire situation could've gone a lot smoother.

But she was very aggressive. She physically blocked his path and prevented him from entering his home. She was condescending and rude. Some of those gun-toting crazy people in this country probably would've pulled out a gun and blown her away, claiming self defense.

She kept saying "I'm not being rude, I'm not being disrespectful" yet she somehow saw herself as some kind of authority figure or property manager, demanding that he show her proof that he lives there? That is absolute madness! He doesn't owe her a damn thing and doesn't have to show her anything. I would have been furious.

She then got off the elevator on his floor and followed him to his apartment. She was EXTREMELY condescending and rude. I am happy she's been fired and I hope everybody she knows...family, friends, coworkers, classmates, are disappointed in her.

I am so proud of the young man for handling himself properly and taking the high road and let her embarrass herself without being rude to her.
well, that is fine.

I think she "thought" she was doing what she was supposed to be doing as a resident living there. She didn't see the man's key, neither did I (based on the video) In real life situation, I'd let him in, I'd let anybody in. But I understand not everybody think or act like I do. Some people are extra careful.

She was a bit annoying, but being annoying is not a reason enough for me to call her a racist.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:26 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
I watched it too, the video picks up after the initial contact. The man says something like I already showed you my key - in any case she is not security and that is not her job to challenge entrants. She wants to call security then that would be an appropriate response to her concerns.

By whatever reasonable standard you want to apply her behavior was way over the top and karma was quickly forthcoming.
He did not but consistently refused. What the man said was that he'd buzzed in ... she sounding quite surprised loudly denied that ... the video seems to confirm the door had been open all along so he wouldn't have been able to buzz in ... he then seems to concede the point, saying it "doesn't matter."

I'm really trying not to defend the woman ... she was over the top, and most would have let it go.

But I don't think she thought he was some sort of racist threat. On the contrary, for who would confront someone like if he was a physical danger.

Rather I took her words that she was "uncomfortable" to mean that she was uncomfortable with letting someone thru a door with her responsible particularly since she'd been holding it open for the dog (pretty sure that's the case).

That he totally misunderstood, casting it as her personal issue. And so off they battled, both convinced they were right.

The world can be a complicated place these days. If there's any hope, it lies in clarity (where possible).

Old 10-17-2018, 10:27 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree that they both made it a bigger deal than it was. She should have just closed/not opened the door and he would have been forced to use his key fob, at which point her suspicion would have been a mute point. He was under no obligation to show him her key fob, but it is literally on his key and would have taken 1 second to flash it, which would have also ended it. Both were letting their pride take over when this could have been a non issue.
But he DID show her the key fob. He held it up in the beginning and she said "so you have that, okay, well," or something like that.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
He did not but consistently refused. What the man said was that he'd buzzed in ... she sounding quite surprised loudly denied that ... the video seems to confirm the door had been open all along so he wouldn't have ben able to buzz in ... he then seems to concede the point, saying it "doesn't matter."

I'm really trying not to defend the woman ... she was over the top, and most would have let it go.

But I don't think she thought he was some sort of racist threat. On the contrary, for who would confront someone like if he was a physical danger.

Rather I took her words that she was "uncomfortable" to mean that she was uncomfortable with letting someone thru a door with her responsible particularly since she'd been holding it open for the dog (pretty sure that's the case).

That he totally misunderstood, casting it as her personal issue. And so off they battled, both convinced they were right.

The world can be a complicated place these days. If there's any hope, it lies in clarity (where possible).
Absolutely! agree with you 100%

Regarding the pink, I think the possible scenario is that the man buzzed in at the same time she walked out. So she was not convinced that he "buzzed in." since he refused to show her the key, she was convinced that he did not live in that building. Her mind was made.

She could have handled situation a lot better. She did sound a bit annoying, but like I said earlier, being annoying is not reason enough for me to call her a racist.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:31 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
Quote:
I'd show her the key, if she still blocked me from entering, I'd call the cops on her. Simple for me.

However, based on the video, I didn't see him showing her the key, maybe I missed that part. To me, showing the key is an important part of the entire story.
Agree. I don’t remember him showing her a key fob either. That would change a lot. But I am with you; I would have just told her to close the door so I could buzz myself in, and if she didn’t, I would call the cops.

I also agree that she was coming off as very rude, and a different approach from her may have de escalate the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies