Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 05:50 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Any subsequent executive administration can overturn it. So, you would be looking at 2033 for next potential overturn.
I’m hoping fundamentalist Christian extremists aren’t still ruling this country in 2033 and we can all get on with a society based on facts and reason instead of fear and superstition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 05:50 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Pride parades rock! Myself a sports professional and ally to the community have walked in pride parades in DC, Calgary and the latest one held in NYC. NYC had a large sports contingent that included representation from all 5 major sports leagues along with the UFC. We all had a blast and the streets were packed with wall to wall people. Also a lot of representation from Corporate America.
And lets not forget big sports played a big role in getting the North Carolina Bathroom bill over-turned and also getting a proposed bathroom bill in Texas voted down.
Beautiful corporations! We progressives love corporations! Well, at least the ones that think the right way!

Old 10-24-2018, 06:49 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Yep, that's a major problem. Anyone got the numbers on what percentage of the American public falls into that category? I think the percentage of hermaphrodites is almost exactly the percentage of native blood Elizabeth Warren has pulsating through her veins.
It is around 1% from what I have read. I saw it twice in two different jobs and states. Just because it is rare that does not mean these people should be discriminated against.

Then we get into the subject of gays and lesbians, which is already being discussed on this thread. A male can only be attracted to a female? Female to a male? Absolutely never to BOTH. Government gets to decide that as well? That would clearly throw out gay marriage. What is the percentage of gays and lesbians? 10%? Not the majority, so they lose out as well?

Does government get to decide the race of a person based purely on physical appearance? A person is either black or white? Elizabeth Warren and 1%? Obama and Megan Merkel. Each has a white parent and a black parent, yet do they both have exactly the same racial traits? Should each of them have their DNA tests done with percentages to show which race dominates so they tell the government what race they are?

No, we do not want to go down this slippery slope and open a Pandora's Box. You are getting into Third Reich mentality with this.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:54 AM

736 posts, read 456,478 times
I don't what the big deal is. If someone has deep seated issues with thier body and is happier having sex reassignment surgery let them. Doesn't bother me any. We only live once so reach for all the happiness you can.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:56 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
What happens to people with penises who have ovaries? What about the ones with vaginas who have testicles?

External genitalia may not match chromosomal gender.

That actually happened to a friend of mine. It took them nearly a week to determine if she had delivered a boy or a girl.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:59 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-...=hp_lista_pos3

Can't believe it took this long for the federal government to state the obvious, under the law you are male or female. Seems we've been adding a letter to the LGBTABCDEF123456@%^%@...etc etc nonsense pretty much every day.
The consequences, after closing insane asylums. It is what it is.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:00 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Now maybe we can stop enabling mental illness and get these people the help they need.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:04 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I’m hoping fundamentalist Christian extremists aren’t still ruling this country in 2033 and we can all get on with a society based on facts and reason instead of fear and superstition.
If you think Donald Trump is a christian fundamentalist then you’re going to be in for a big shock if a real christian fundamentalist gets in office. Maybe Mike Pence will run after Trump.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
You know what's weird? I've been trying to educate myself on gender/transgender issues for years, and I have never run across that idea! It sounds like a good idea to me. It might be problematic in ways that I haven't considered, of course, but it's a start, if nothing else.
I just think a person can wear whatever clothing they want, do whatever they want with whatever surgeries they want, date whoever they want...

But, if you want a descriptor that is purely scientific, there it is.

We always forget that men used to wear skirts and high heels. And makeup. It's all really just a social construct, the stuff we use to establish gender.

But, biology is biology and social gender is something else entirely.

If the feds want to identify gender, they have to remove the social construct and deal with the biology only.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
To appease the new left, why not simply do away with race too, while we are at it? This way it won't matter, whatever skin color, race, or ethnicity a person wants to be. Just put human on the ID card and be done with it
If the fed wants to classify race, that's a whole other story and far more complicated than chromosomal gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies