Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 04:25 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times

Advertisements

Just so we get this straight, people in this thread think she died because she was in the care of BP for ONLY 8 hours...

Old 12-15-2018, 04:28 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Since you are clearly the expert here, what is the protocol for CBP agents when they apprehend people in the desert.

It seems they ask if the people they apprehend if are medically okay and have them sign a form attesting to that. This likely works best if there is a common language and the people can read.

I'm assuming there is no taking of pulse, or temperature. Or is this included in the agent's questioning?

What else is standard procedure?

Is it standard procedure to give everyone water?
You are assuming he doesn’t speak Spanish. I’m sure he does since he lives in Guatemala, and managed to join this caravan with mostly Spanish speakers.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:29 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
The problem with even the best news reports is that they aren't well written. I took the Lordsburg "paramedic" comments that "she hadn't had food or water in several days" to either be a summary of the desert conditions and/or her functional status given that and the subsequent vomiting. Not literally that no one was willing to give her water.

There clearly is water available at Antelope Wells. Last night I stumbled across an immigrant site that complained about the "water delivery system" - they attached a photo of a combo toilet / sink that they alleged was inadequate and a source of possible contamination. Turns out that the photo was from some other location entirely (Russia?). At a minimum, the father had to have offered her water.

As for the medical "exam," there is none to be offered at Antelope Wells. The CPB has a checklist that minimally trained agents complete that include some basic observational items. This was done for the child. That's the checklist that the father initialed. Whether there should be a more comprehensive evaluation right at the border certainly is worth considering with the larger numbers of children arriving whose health status can be much less stable than that of adult.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:29 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,599,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Just so we get this straight, people in this thread think she died because she was in the care of BP for ONLY 8 hours...
the troll in this thread will ignore this and ask if she was offered water by the BP since he(Yes I did assume gender here) has an an anti-Trump agenda to push.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:30 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why do you never respond to my posts?

Is it, you cannot? Because you would have to be honest, when responding?

I'm thinking so.

The post you have provided in this thread are extremely sad, even for a anti trump hater such as you.
Did you miss the Kavanaugh thread?

Old 12-15-2018, 04:32 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What stopped her father from going to a legal port of entry and asking for asylum and then waiting in Mexico as the others in the caravan have done where there is food, water and shelter and I'm sure emergency medical care? The only viable reason to claim asylum is persecution in one's own country, not economic hardship and not even feeling endangered. Once they were in Mexico they were no longer in danger so you have no valid points.
Actually, they were half a mile west from the Antelope Wells Port of Entry.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/15/us/gu...-st=1544909805

We have no idea if he was persecuted or endangered in his own country.

It has been reported that he is from an indigenous group. Whether he is part the indigenous population in Guatemala that is being forceable displaced by military violence has yet to be determined.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
the troll in this thread will ignore this and ask if she was offered water by the BP since he(Yes I did assume gender here) has an an anti-Trump agenda to push.
So once we get past the insults and diversions, was water provided?

Old 12-15-2018, 04:36 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,599,470 times
Quote:
So once we get past the insults and diversions, was water provided?
certainly not by the father.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You are assuming he doesn’t speak Spanish. I’m sure he does since he lives in Guatemala, and managed to join this caravan with mostly Spanish speakers.
Nope, it was reported that he speaks an indigenous language.

As one person pointed out early on in this thread, one need not speak the same language to communicate about basic things such as food and water.

However, in trying to track down things, I ran across an article that stated most men in his village know Spanish as well as their native Mayan Q'eqchi' language.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:38 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
Quote:
Since you are clearly the expert here, what is the protocol for CBP agents when they apprehend people in the desert.

It seems they ask if the people they apprehend if are medically okay and have them sign a form attesting to that. This likely works best if there is a common language and the people can read.

I'm assuming there is no taking of pulse, or temperature. Or is this included in the agent's questioning?

What else is standard procedure?

Is it standard procedure to give everyone water?
Standard procedure is to keep yourself safe first before we provide basic first aid to the migrants.

Once we get to the CBP station for processing, we can use a national hotline number for translation if the migrant doesn’t speak Spanish or English.

No, we do not take pulse or temperature because we are not nurses or doctors. If the migrant needs medical care then we will call in local paramedics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies