Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:14 AM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And we all know the weather in Montana, Colorado N. Dakota not to mention Alaska just to name a few states is far different than the picture you're trying to paint also.

Since you were critical of "generalizations"; who was it calling Canada a frozen tundra again?
What "picture was [i] trying to paint"? I did no such thing. You are confused. All I did was point out your fellow Canadian's claim that winter was so mild. Of course, she lives in southern BC.

Who did call Canada a frozen tundra? I wasn't the one who did so.

Get your facts straight.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:36 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You are confused. All I did was point out your fellow Canadian's claim that winter was so mild. Of course, she lives in southern BC.
The Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island tend to be milder than the rest of the country. But for the vast majority of Canadians elsewhere in the country, winter is certainly do-able. There are some very nasty cold winter days, but only a few. Of course, to us who were raised in such a climate, the rest of winter is pretty normal--to people from Florida and California and Hawaii, a Canadian winter must seem like it is abysmally cold, but a Vermonter or a Montanan or a Minnesotan probably wouldn't find it any different than the winters they experience.

As for Colorado--my ex-wife came from there. She liked it here in southern Alberta, because as she put it, "It's just like Colorado!" Weather-wise, of course. She found that southern Ontario was too humid, but when we moved to Alberta, it was a dry climate (like Colorado), there was lots of sunshine (like Colorado), and it had four seasons (like Colorado). She could happily produce a fine garden of flowers and vegetables in the summer months, and she was no stranger to shovelling snow (or playing in it, as, while shovelling snow, I always had to be alert to snowballs thrown by her when I wasn't looking) in the winter months. I'm sure that climatology data may show a slight difference in climates between Colorado and southern Alberta, but any such difference was apparently so negligible that she didn't notice it.

Winter in much of Canada is not mild, but it is certainly not the impossibly-cold deep freeze many Americans (and in fairness, others from various parts of the world) think it is from September until May. And the nice thing about being as far north as we are--well, at least to me, in my location--is that I can get a full 18 holes of golf in after work in the summer, the sun sets so late.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:39 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
White libeverals love Canada, theres a lot less people of color there.

Liberals would move there tomorrow if Canada didn’t have laws and borders to keep illegal immigrates out like every country, including America.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:17 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
The Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island tend to be milder than the rest of the country. But for the vast majority of Canadians elsewhere in the country, winter is certainly do-able. There are some very nasty cold winter days, but only a few. Of course, to us who were raised in such a climate, the rest of winter is pretty normal--to people from Florida and California and Hawaii, a Canadian winter must seem like it is abysmally cold, but a Vermonter or a Montanan or a Minnesotan probably wouldn't find it any different than the winters they experience.

As for Colorado--my ex-wife came from there. She liked it here in southern Alberta, because as she put it, "It's just like Colorado!" Weather-wise, of course. She found that southern Ontario was too humid, but when we moved to Alberta, it was a dry climate (like Colorado), there was lots of sunshine (like Colorado), and it had four seasons (like Colorado). She could happily produce a fine garden of flowers and vegetables in the summer months, and she was no stranger to shovelling snow (or playing in it, as, while shovelling snow, I always had to be alert to snowballs thrown by her when I wasn't looking) in the winter months. I'm sure that climatology data may show a slight difference in climates between Colorado and southern Alberta, but any such difference was apparently so negligible that she didn't notice it.

Winter in much of Canada is not mild, but it is certainly not the impossibly-cold deep freeze many Americans (and in fairness, others from various parts of the world) think it is from September until May. And the nice thing about being as far north as we are--well, at least to me, in my location--is that I can get a full 18 holes of golf in after work in the summer, the sun sets so late.
I remember one conference I was at in Whitehorse, Yukon that occurred over the summer solstice. Feature activity was teeing off on the golf course at midnight, and finishing off fly fishing at 3 in the morning. Yeah, land of the midnight sun. (actually, fishing was in dusk as the true midnight sun is a few degrees further north).

Old 01-06-2019, 04:19 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
White libeverals love Canada, theres a lot less people of color there.

Liberals would move there tomorrow if Canada didn’t have laws and borders to keep illegal immigrates out like every country, including America.
Why do conservatives so often have difficulties with spelling? Happens in the US as well as Canada. Or do they think they are being "cute"?

Old 01-06-2019, 04:38 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I've seen those shows, and I can't stand the people on them.

They all want these giant 2500sf McMansions with a 3 car garage, master bedrooms the size of a basketball court, two sinks in the master bath, open floor plan, ridiculously big and fancy kitchen they're never going to actually use, no sharing a yard with neighbors, and many other forms of wanton excess.

So yes, no surprise they're going to spend millions. What do you expect?
Do you really begrudge people who don't want to share a yard? And 2500 is not that big. Y

Old 01-06-2019, 04:43 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Why do conservatives so often have difficulties with spelling? Happens in the US as well as Canada. Or do they think they are being "cute"?
They can spell "America," clearly a country that native born liberals obsessively hate.

I can see the world giving a collective yawn when citizens of the richest country on earth whine about something.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:57 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Do you really begrudge people who don't want to share a yard? And 2500 is not that big. Y
No house in my neighborhood is so small or have only a 3 car garage.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:39 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Who wants to move to a frozen wasteland?
You live in Alaska. You should know better than to make such a silly comment.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:43 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And you find nothing questionable about getting your real-estate information from an entertainment motivated TV show?

That's like saying I know all about the U.S because I watch the Disney Channel. Well...then again....
Right? I also enjoy HGTV, but I do not base my version of reality on any program where a "fixer-upper" lists for half a million dollars before it's even been fixed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies