Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Northam Resign?
Yes, he clearly has a problem and has lost credibility 98 71.53%
No, Democrat leaders in VA are right, he has a great current track record that speaks more than his past 39 28.47%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 12:55 PM

989 posts, read 456,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
So he just re-affirmed that he was not the one in the photo and has no idea where the nickname "coonman" came from. And his apology video is still up on his twitter page.
He stated that he doesn't know why he was given the name Coonman; however, he knows the two upper classmen who gave him that name and that it ended up in the yearbook.

I wonder if any of these classmates will come out in the next few weeks to talk about what they knew of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 01:10 PM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
He stated that he doesn't know why he was given the name Coonman; however, he knows the two upper classmen who gave him that name and that it ended up in the yearbook.

I wonder if any of these classmates will come out in the next few weeks to talk about what they knew of him.
I doubt it. They dont want to come out of the closet in their cushy lives.
I wish Kamalla Harris will denounce him, contrary to her huge support during his campaign.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:13 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
The goal of the "Politically correct" Democrat left here will be to "retain their credibility to ruin Republicans," as eloquently stated by Ann Althouse, below.
Should we try to understand Governor Northam or demand that he Al Franken himself?

Is the Democratic Party the party of no forgiveness? Does it need its own guy to kill himself because they want to be able to kill other people? Unquestionably, if a picture like this...

... had shown up from President Trump's old yearbook, Democrats would yell that he must resign. How can they retain their credibility to ruin Republicans if they don't destroy their own? I see Kamala Harris jumped right in to lead the pack. Harris is to Northam what Gillibrand was to Franken. Instant death. No pausing to reflect on human frailty. No empathy for the the imperfect judgment of young people. No contextualizing, even so soon after people misread what they saw in the photograph of the Covington Catholic boy and the Native American elder.

I get that many on the right are incensed by this kind of evil treatment of people that they politically support by the Democrat left, and that for some of these people on the right, their first instinct is to call for the Democrat leftists to be treated the same way when they are caught in similar, or in this case worse circumstances than what Republican right people accused have recently been treated.

This is a mistake. Instead, we must advocate for a better and wiser social standard for everyone in our society.

Also, if the Democrat left fails to apply the same standards to their political friends that it recently has to their political adversaries, this will severely undermine the credibility of their entire "Political correctness" and "Identity politics" agenda.

Yes, this path requires a bit of restraint and forbearance, but this is the path to eventually rid our society of this vile filth. It is the right thing to do here, not just for Governor Northam, but also for our society. And yes, even though the Democrat left consistently does not extend the same courtesy to its political adversaries, for example Justice Brett Kavanaugh. And no, you people on the left are not going to hear the end of that for many years to come and maybe never.

So please, if you lean right, do not advocate for the destruction or ruin of this man here. His behavior was not attractive, that is for sure. But the political death penalty for this? Does that sound right to you? If not, then let's stand against these sorts of media led lynch mob style type social purges.

This is not who we are and it is not who we want to be.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:21 PM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times
They need to focus on the infanticide issue. Thats the real problem people

Old 02-02-2019, 01:22 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
So he just re-affirmed that he was not the one in the photo and has no idea where the nickname "coonman" came from. And his apology video is still up on his twitter page.
Positively Trumpian!

Old 02-02-2019, 01:24 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,291,201 times
Dude was legit going to moonwalk right there on the stage. His wife saved his behind.

If nothing else, he should resign because of his poor judgement.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
I don't think he should resign, and I think the Dems better get a grip. They're going after people like a pack of wolves--Schultz, now Northam.

There is a sexual predator in the WH and White Supremacist sitting in the Senate. And then there was Sessions.

Give me a break. The alleged photo is 40 years old. He says it is not him--I believe him. Why should this guy lose his entire career over a photo he actually may not have been in 40 years ago? If we started digging up stuff Congress members did 40 years, half of them will have to resign.

Come back when Steve King and Trump resign.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:33 PM

9,686 posts, read 9,409,894 times
He said today that he was not in blackface in the photo, but that he put shoe polish on his face to enter a dance contest as
Michael Jackson. He also said he is not resigning. I would not want to visit being a black person if this type of behavior is condoned.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/02/polit...oto/index.html

Old 02-02-2019, 01:35 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The goal of the "Politically correct" Democrat left here will be to "retain their credibility to ruin Republicans," as eloquently stated by Ann Althouse, below.
Should we try to understand Governor Northam or demand that he Al Franken himself?

Is the Democratic Party the party of no forgiveness? Does it need its own guy to kill himself because they want to be able to kill other people? Unquestionably, if a picture like this...

... had shown up from President Trump's old yearbook, Democrats would yell that he must resign. How can they retain their credibility to ruin Republicans if they don't destroy their own? I see Kamala Harris jumped right in to lead the pack. Harris is to Northam what Gillibrand was to Franken. Instant death. No pausing to reflect on human frailty. No empathy for the the imperfect judgment of young people. No contextualizing, even so soon after people misread what they saw in the photograph of the Covington Catholic boy and the Native American elder.

I get that many on the right are incensed by this kind of evil treatment of people that they politically support by the Democrat left, and that for some of these people on the right, their first instinct is to call for the Democrat leftists to be treated the same way when they are caught in similar, or in this case worse circumstances than what Republican right people accused have recently been treated.

This is a mistake. Instead, we must advocate for a better and wiser social standard for everyone in our society.

Also, if the Democrat left fails to apply the same standards to their political friends that it recently has to their political adversaries, this will severely undermine the credibility of their entire "Political correctness" and "Identity politics" agenda.

Yes, this path requires a bit of restraint and forbearance, but this is the path to eventually rid our society of this vile filth. It is the right thing to do here, not just for Governor Northam, but also for our society. And yes, even though the Democrat left consistently does not extend the same courtesy to its political adversaries, for example Justice Brett Kavanaugh. And no, you people on the left are not going to hear the end of that for many years to come and maybe never.

So please, if you lean right, do not advocate for the destruction or ruin of this man here. His behavior was not attractive, that is for sure. But the political death penalty for this? Does that sound right to you? If not, then let's stand against these sorts of media led lynch mob style type social purges.

This is not who we are and it is not who we want to be.
There’s been plenty of times I think the “media led lynch mob” as you call it has been over the top and flat out wrong. In this case? Nope. He absolutely 100% deserves political death. This picture of him was in his twenties in 1984. I was just about to go into high school during that time and lived in Georgia and I can attest it was absolutely just as vile a thing to do then as now. Being in a KKK robe and dressing up black face? Nah, no one - absolutely no one - would have called that innocent fun back in 1984. It would have been perceived as horribly racist then as well as now. So he did this in a time and place where this was not considered acceptable at all. He did this as an adult. And then, he actually tried to paint his political opponents as racist. That takes some gall. He deserves everything he’s getting. So no, I disagree with you on this case. Strongly.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:39 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I don't think he should resign, and I think the Dems better get a grip. They're going after people like a pack of wolves--Schultz, now Northam.

There is a sexual predator in the WH and White Supremacist sitting in the Senate. And then there was Sessions.

Give me a break. The alleged photo is 40 years old. He says it is not him--I believe him. Why should this guy lose his entire career over a photo he actually may not have been in 40 years ago? If we started digging up stuff Congress members did 40 years, half of them will have to resign.

Come back when Steve King and Trump resign.
What a crock. Were you alive in 1984? If so, you know this was just as unacceptable then as now. Pssst, that photo. It’s racist in case you didn’t know and he was a grown damn adult in it. So, that weak argument of it being 40 years ago? Nah. Get out of here with that nonsense. And it was him. Hell, he already apologized for it before trying to walk it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies