Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 12:35 PM

19,709 posts, read 12,279,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The commonsense way to approach not having health insurance is to simply live in the healthiest and safest manner possible. So that would mean no cigarette smoking and no overeating... just for a start.

For myself, as I get older, I am eating less sugar and salt. I walk more. And when it snows, I am careful about avoiding icy pavement.

I see no reason for "society" to have to pay for taking care of people with an unhealthy lifestyle.
Biggest risk factor for illness is simply aging. You can do everything right but over 55 is when genetics plays a big role. It is also when they start laying people off to get them off employer health insurance, individual health insurance premiums skyrocket, and you hope for the best until SS age. I call it the danger zone or the throwaway years. Some people are better off to be disabled at that age so they have access to SS disability insurance or Medicaid, should they lose their jobs and be unable to acquire a new job which has insurance benefits.

I tend to feel more concern about this issue than giving free childcare to younger working people. Priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 12:58 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,647,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Social security is an insurance paid by employers and employees

Unemployment is an insurance paid in by employers, midicare paid by employees.......

Nothing is free.

WTH are you talking about.
nobody has claimed anything is "FREE" that is you making up a strawman because you lack a thought out rebuttal.

285 democrats voted YES for Social Security.
15 Republicans voted YES for Social Security.

Republicans HATED IT, yet decades later Republicans defend it as if they came up with the idea.
So get off your bs high horse about who pays into it. Your Republican party is against everything we later believe to be good.

Republicans fought medicare the same way they hate it and voted almost exactly the same.
Democrats 237 YES 48 NO
Republicans 70 YES 68 NO

Yet now you guys have the gall to act like you invented it and it is "good" cause we pay in..

In every case it is Republicans saying NO NO NO , then later pretending it never happened. If republicans won you would have NOTHING. We would have mass scale begging in the streets and the USA would be much more like a 3rd world nation....

but maybe that is what you guys actually want, warlords, billionaires and everyone else cutting each other's throats for scraps...

There is a two fold argument for these programs.

1 it turns out providing a sense of security , knowing you will not die in utter poverty allows us to take risks and helps our economy. Universal healthcare, education , childcare etc are part of that. It frees us up , it makes corps more competitive globally.

2 it is also the right thing to do, and we don't need jesus or the spaghetti monster to tell that.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:01 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,832,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Free childcare is a Godsend for families that don't have non-working relatives readily available and willing, because obtaining it otherwise is so effin' expensive.
Republicans are so insistent that every pregnancy is brought to term, but don't want to give parents the resources to care for their children once they are born. I guess this is just one more thing that exposes the true agenda of the GOP; their belief that women belong in the home and in the kitchen.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:01 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,647,637 times
Quote:
No it isnt. Its about free universal childcare (daycare/preschool) to persons/families with incomes of $50K or less.

There are already various programs that provide free or subsidized daycare/preschool for those who financially need help and generous child care tax credits.
I see, lacking a point you want to split hairs on how I phrased it. well done you, i guess you win the thread .

Meanwhile not one of you have made a strong point beyond stamping your feet and saying you don't want to give those "people" any money.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:39 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,387,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I think she just has a thing about people being in the us illegally....

Americans from coast to coast for decade after decade are living on the edge of poverty. millions and millions and millions of them and it is getting worse not better.

Conservatives believe in a darwinin USA, but they don't understand that "fittest for the situation" is not actually the best way for a population to succeed in a globally competitive world.....not even close.

A mere 330 million Americans in a world of over 7,000 million people. And Republicans want to avoid uplifting all of our players, they are so worried about somebody else getting a free ride that they would rather the US have to import our talent from india, china and Europe...

Or maybe they were too busy learning scripture to learn basic econ.

They would rather the US become 2nd tier nation than compete on a level field / uplift those who face a harder path. the short termism we see from the right wing is simply stunning, just like the racism, bigotry and sectarianism. It is almost as if they think the US exists in splendid isolation from the greater world.
Republicans only want billionaires to get a free ride. Free rides for anyone else is out of the question.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:59 PM

36,623 posts, read 30,945,456 times
Quote:
WTH are you talking about.
nobody has claimed anything is "FREE" that is you making up a strawman because you lack a thought out rebuttal.
"Honestly what is it with you guys, you are so wrapped up in the idea that some other guy is going to get something for free, that you are willing to deprive your own kids of a secure and happy future."
Quote:
There is a two fold argument for these programs.

1 it turns out providing a sense of security , knowing you will not die in utter poverty allows us to take risks and helps our economy. Universal healthcare, education , childcare etc are part of that. It frees us up , it makes corps more competitive globally.

2 it is also the right thing to do, and we don't need jesus or the spaghetti monster to tell that.
I didnt address this as a partisan issue so I'm not commenting on Democratic vs. Republican vote on issues. That has nothing to do with this thread. It is about campaign promises of free childcare for those making 50K or less.
50K is not utter poverty and those making 50K should be able to afford childcare if not dont have kids or give up some of your perks.

Why is taking from one who has sacrificed and made better choices to give to another who has not the right thing to do. I have not suggested doing away with programs to help the truly needy, this is not one of them.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I see, lacking a point you want to split hairs on how I phrased it. well done you, i guess you win the thread .

Meanwhile not one of you have made a strong point beyond stamping your feet and saying you don't want to give those "people" any money.
No as I said this is not about providing childcare for everyone who needs it. You were trying to twist the issue.

I think there have been several good points against it.

There are already free and subsidized child care programs for low income homes as well as child care tax credits.

Where is the funding coming from.

Having children is a choice. Why should we reward people for making bad financial choices or refusing to make sacrifices and adjustments to support their choices.

Fifty thousand/year income is sufficient to pay for child care. If its not, don't have children, you cant afford them.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republicans are so insistent that every pregnancy is brought to term, but don't want to give parents the resources to care for their children once they are born. I guess this is just one more thing that exposes the true agenda of the GOP; their belief that women belong in the home and in the kitchen.
Not all republicans but you've got a point. I'm totally against the republican stance on abortion.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:13 PM

52,349 posts, read 52,799,906 times
Quote:
No as I said this is not about providing childcare for everyone who needs it. You were trying to twist the issue.

I think there have been several good points against it.

There are already free and subsidized child care programs for low income homes as well as child care tax credits.

Where is the funding coming from.

Having children is a choice. Why should we reward people for making bad financial choices or refusing to make sacrifices and adjustments to support their choices.

Fifty thousand/year income is sufficient to pay for child care. If its not, don't have children, you cant afford them.
LOL, I see your trying to use logic, reason and basic common sense and the lefty's don't seem to get it. Facts are like kryptonite to a lefty.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:27 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, I see your trying to use logic, reason and basic common sense and the lefty's don't seem to get it. Facts are like kryptonite to a lefty.
Our wars have been wars of choice........when are you going to demand we start paying for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies