Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2019, 04:50 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Comey shared classified information with Daniel Richman, a law professor at Columbia University who then leaked it to the press on Comey's orders. Comey has acknowledged that he asked Richman to share the contents of a Feb. 14, 2017, memo with the New York Times and other Of the seven memos, four now bear classification markings: two are marked "confidential" the lowest classification level and two are marked "secret." A Washington Post analysis noted the classification appears to have been made by a top official in the FBI’s Counterintelligence Division.

Trump had plenty of reasons to fired Comey and the Constitution backs him.

Again, you are way off. Read the memo from Deputy AG when he named Mueller as Special Prosecutor to investigate the Russian collusion in the 2016 election and the Trump Campaign. Nowhere in the memo, it gives orders to Mueller to stay away from Trump.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...r-special.html

Read the C section: If the Special Prosecutor believes it necessary and appropiate, the Special Counsel to prosecute Federal Crimes arising from the investigation of these matters.

Nowhere in the memo, it says he has to report to Congress or get Congress permission to indict the President for federal crimes and recommend impeachment. Nowhere in the memo, it tells Mueller he has to report to Congress or punt the ball to them so they can decide of his findings.

The power Mueller had to investigate and prosecute came from the DOJ, not Congress.

Try again.

More nonsense, the memo that Comey shared with Richman and the NY Times was not classified nor were the others, if you have a source from DOJ lets see it.

I"m not questioning that Trump has the constitutional right to fire Comey, just pointing out that was one of actions that helped buy a SP.

The choice to impeach or not impeach is the call of the SP, just pointing out that he may have left that up to congress.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:24 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Every word of this is nonsense.

Barr won't be ruined for life. All those involved in the Watergate coverup went on to get jobs. None of them ended up in a homeless shelter.

Surely, you remember John Mitchell, Nixon's AG. He served a couple years in prison, was let out early for health reasons, one went on to work as a consultant and live a quiet life.

This constant crowing is ridiculous. But see the report.
Agreeing here, of course it's nonsensical, & still calling bs on it.

It's a false analogy to compare the ending of Mr. Mueller's investigations to being misled by 'weapons of mass destruction'. Those continuing to harp on this false analogy most likely failed to read Matt Taibbi's follow-up clarifications here:

Quote:
Last weekend, I published a book chapter criticizing the Russiagate narrative, claiming it was a years-long press error on the scale of the WMD affair heading into the Iraq war.

Obviously (and I said this in detail), the WMD fiasco had a far greater real-world impact, with hundreds of thousands of lives lost and trillions in treasure wasted. Still, I thought Russiagate would do more to damage the reputation of the national news media in the end.

...So I had no illusions about Trump. The Russia story bothered me for other reasons, mostly having to do a general sense of the public being misled, and not even about Russia.

The problem lay with the precursor tale to Russiagate, i.e. how Trump even got to be president in the first place.

The 2016 campaign season brought to the surface awesome levels of political discontent. After the election, instead of wondering where that anger came from, most of the press quickly pivoted to a new tale about a Russian plot to attack our Democracy. This conveyed the impression that the election season we’d just lived through had been an aberration, thrown off the rails by an extraordinary espionage conspiracy between Trump and a cabal of evil foreigners.
Taibbi: On Russiagate and Our Refusal to Face Why Trump Won

Faulty coverage of Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign later made foreign espionage a more plausible explanation for his ascent to power

The real hoax, the biggest scam & con job is ... how Trump even got to be president in the first place.

"It turns out we let our electoral process devolve into something so fake and dysfunctional that any half-bright con man with the stones to try it could walk right through the front door and tear it to shreds on the first go."

If we had a 'do-over' election tomorrow, same scenarios, same circumstances, & same candidates running, he would win again.

This is how dysfunctional we still are.

On a brighter note, we aren't going to have a 'do-over' election tomorrow, & we still have time to become a healthy & functional democracy, there's always time to learn from past mistakes.

In case anyone hasn't seen it ~ this is Mr. Barr's second letter to Congress re: Mr. Mueller's reporting:

https://assets.bwbx.io/documents/use...RvFmza4j8V0/v0

Old 04-08-2019, 06:00 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Dysfunctional, I should say.

All you have to do is read this thread. The title is an out and out lie. Despite the capitalization, the report still has not been released to Congress.

That it would take nearly a month to redact all the necessary information before releasing it to the public is a stretch. But the Judiciary and Intelligence committees as well as the Gang of Eight should be getting the entire report. How can they fulfill their oversight responsibilities if they can't see the information?

There are a lot off people getting left behind these days and they are angry about it. Trump tapped into that anger, inflamed it, and directed it at Mexicans, Muslims, the media...

Russians assisted in this endeavor. They'll do it again next year. What's stopping them?

Old 04-08-2019, 06:10 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,028,155 times
Quote:

All you have to do is read this thread. The title is an out and out lie. Despite the capitalization, the report still has not been released to Congress.

That it would take nearly a month to redact all the necessary information before releasing it to the public is a stretch. But the Judiciary and Intelligence committees as well as the Gang of Eight should be getting the entire report. How can they fulfill their oversight responsibilities if they can't see the information?

There are a lot off people getting left behind these days and they are angry about it. Trump tapped into that anger, inflamed it, and directed it at Mexicans, Muslims, the media...

Russians assisted in this endeavor. They'll do it again next year. What's stopping them?
Obama certainly didn't. He knew what Russia was up to back in 2014.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:

I get what you're saying here.

A big issue is people are apparently confused about what is ethical & functional as opposed to what is barely legal &/or cannot be classified as a crime.

Like here:

Under partisan fire, Adam Schiff presents his case without apology | MSNBC

Too many are 'ok' with what Mr. Schiff is saying 'not ok'.

Is it that some Americans do not feel they're somehow good enough to have a healthy & functioning democracy?

It's baffling.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:19 AM

Mr. Barr's 'job interview' aka why Mr. Trump hired him:

http://liblog.law.stanford.edu/wp-co...n-8Jun2018.pdf

Spoiler alert: he places " " around Obstruction, as in Mueller's "Obstruction" Theory.

Cogent commentary on above:

Bill Barr’s Very Strange Memo on Obstruction of Justice

https://www.lawfareblog.com/bill-bar...uction-justice

Old 04-08-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Forgot to comment on the bold: some of these lapdog legislators seemingly prefer to shirk their fiduciary responsibilities to the American people.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:36 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I get what you're saying here.

A big issue is people are apparently confused about what is ethical & functional as opposed to what is barely legal &/or cannot be classified as a crime.

Like here:

Under partisan fire, Adam Schiff presents his case without apology | MSNBC

Too many are 'ok' with what Mr. Schiff is saying 'not ok'.

Is it that some Americans do not feel they're somehow good enough to have a healthy & functioning democracy?

It's baffling.
The world is changing at an ever increasing pace. A lot of people are getting left behind through no fault of their own. The decent paying jobs with benefits and pensions their fathers had are long gone but the yearning for the good life is not. They are hurt and angry.

Trump turned their hurt, and anger against Mexicans and Muslims. They're the ones that did this to you. Stealing all the good jobs. Then he promised that he could bring back coal, manufacturing, ... the decent paying jobs with benefits and pensions.

That he is lying to them does not seem to register. Coal is not coming back. Natural gas is cheaper and cleaner and renewable energy is the future.

Automation and computers means that the decent jobs of the future will involve higher level of training and skills than most folks have. Switch careers when necessary. Move to where the jobs are. ... all of this is beyond what many people are capable of.

Retail and service industry jobs were never great paying, but at least you could support a family on one. Not so much now. Also, many of these jobs are being replaced by technology. When was the last time you called a company and got anything but a voice mail with several options and recorded messages? No one is stamping prices on canned goods these days. Online retail is gobbling up brick and mortar stores.

These folks are still going to be voting in 2020. Most don't give a damn about democracy. They want decent jobs.

Mueller's report could lay out evidence that Trump is a traitor handing over classified information to Putin and they wouldn't care.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:54 AM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Admit it. That won't satisfy you. We'll get the redacted version of the report. It won't be good enough for you because it won't give you anything solid. Just a whole lot of rumors and hints and unsubstantiated guesses that led nowhere. And when the Mueller report gives you nothing, you'll call him a traitor and insist that it's all lies. You will refuse to disbelieve because this is your religion now. That's how conspiracy theories work. They offer proof of nothing but demand absolute proof from everyone opposing them. The whole reason conspiracy theories work is because it's damn near impossible to prove a negative, no matter how ridiculous.

Case in point: You might as well just admit it. You're a space alien masquerading as a human, here to eat human children's brains. Okay now, prove me wrong. I mean really and truly, beyond a shadow of a doubt, prove me wrong. And I don't mean prove me wrong to your satisfaction. You have to prove me wrong to my satisfaction. Think you can do it?

Mueller could get up there and read the report word for word (not redacted) and they would still call him a liar, lackey, etc.....

Old 04-08-2019, 08:21 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
More nonsense, the memo that Comey shared with Richman and the NY Times was not classified nor were the others, if you have a source from DOJ lets see it.

I"m not questioning that Trump has the constitutional right to fire Comey, just pointing out that was one of actions that helped buy a SP.

The choice to impeach or not impeach is the call of the SP, just pointing out that he may have left that up to congress.
let time decide if what Comey was leaking was classified but the fact is Comey was leaking to the press to undermine the President and that added to the other valid reasons to fired him.

Mueller doesn't report to Congress, he reports to the DOJ. If Mueller found that Trump broke the law he would have recommended impeachment in the report. The fact is there are no more indictments and no impeachment recommendation and for some reason you don't accept that and hope that somewhere in the report they find an impeachment summary that somehow Barr and Rosenstein missed or like you are alleging here for days that they blocked and lied on purpose.....that is just wishful thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies