Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Maryann White right about her concerns about 'leggings', as discussed below?
Yes 27 25.96%
No 77 74.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 07:01 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
This is the kind of kitchen table issue that could take food off the table for millions of citizens.

Good catch OP !!!

I'm going to keep an eye out for long sleeves and their impact now too.
What???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 07:05 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh geez, she wants them to stop wearing leggings, because guys cannot control themselves?! i got news for her, guys are going to be ogling these girls even if they are wearing jeans.

They wear these super tight leggings that outline the very parts that they know these young guys who are "at that age" desire.
Yes, young men need to be taught self control at an early age. Females need to learn self control as well and use some when dressing, aborting babies to get them out of the way, getting drunk and in compromised positions where they have unprotected sex then cry rape.

Edited to add the y on the first word to make the-they.

Last edited by 4dognight; 03-29-2019 at 08:31 AM..

Old 03-29-2019, 07:23 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
The wear these super tight leggings that outline the very parts that they know these young guys who are "at that age" desire.
Yes, young men need to be taught self control at an early age. Females need to learn self control as well and use some when dressing, aborting babies to get them out of the way, getting drunk and in compromised positions where they have unprotected sex then cry rape.
Are you suggesting wearing leggings results in drunkenness and abortions?

So how about all the tribes who spend their entire life nude? They don't seem to have a problem with body parts, drink, compromised positions and abortion. How is it those women can walk around totally nude and the men are capable of self control?

Old 03-29-2019, 07:28 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Nobody is proposing the banning of leggings. So let's just get that out of the way right from the start.

But can they reasonably be regarded as immodest and as possibly helping to promote a view of women as a body and not as a person, as many feminists might in other circumstances insist is important for women?

Maryann White seems to think so:

It seems to me that these are kind of trashy looking. Of course if you are an student of anatomy and are interested in examining the women wearing these garments from that perspective, perhaps that makes some sort of sense.

Is the word "modesty" now rejected and despised by the purveyors of the Democrat left "Political correctness" mandatory thought and speech codes? They can take those and stick them, well, you know where, at least as far as I am concerned. If the very suggestion that some modicum of modesty is desirable is considered objectionable by these people, that is really a sad and undesirable state of affairs.

Women, you do better than this. Can't you?
I'd be considerably more impressed with the quoted pleas about what offended Maryann White at mass if she had expressed a greater concern for those thousands of youngsters who are sodomized and raped in a religious environment with no evidence that leggings are part of the problem.

As for the OP's concern about "a sad and undesirable state of affairs", leggings are hardly the worst of it.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:33 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
The leggings they sell and wear now are not the leggings I grew up wearing. And they usually don't wear a long top with them that covers the butt. The woman who wrote the letter stated the girls were wearing "painted on" leggings with cropped tops at mass. Of course that is inappropriate, yeesh. Some leggings now are like tights and just as sheer. Ours used to be thick and even then there were specific very long tops designed to be worn with them like an outfit.

Also there is the issue of the underwear outline showing, or wearing none. I have seen women's entire bare cracks under sheer leggings and when they bent over, could see their genitalia. Young people like to push boundaries and they want the cool leggings, not the old fashioned opaque ones for old people.

There is a reason they have been disallowed from dress codes at some schools. They were fine when I was in school because we wore them properly, as legwear, not pants. The woman should not be bashed for merely bringing up the subject.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:40 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
How has this gotten to 14 pages? Some kook complains about leggings, big deal. Then the puritans show up & start body shaming women & blaming leggings on rape or harassment. Seriously, some of you people are hopeless.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:44 AM

13,967 posts, read 5,630,295 times
She's going about it all wrong. Just have a doctor say leggings are bad somehow.

Then you can make wearing leggings a felony...because a doctor said you shouldn't, and we have to do whatever doctors tell us OR ELSE!

She needs to find an MD to back her play.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:44 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
How has this gotten to 14 pages? Some kook complains about leggings, big deal. Then the puritans show up & start body shaming women & blaming leggings on rape or harassment. Seriously, some of you people are hopeless.
A long thread and discussion about a posted topic, can't have that.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:45 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
Imagine caring enough about this to crusade against it, smh.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:50 AM

393 posts, read 409,638 times
Please post pictures for examples. College females only so I can get a better perspective of what this debate is all about. I must be objective, thus the more photographic evidence the better. Then I will comment on my findings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies