Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What say you?
Treason 45 31.69%
Obstruction 71 50.00%
Acceptable 25 17.61%
Not sure 1 0.70%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 02:34 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Are saying it would increase their phone bill.. I wonder which part of Sanctuary cities' budget goes in jailing illegal aliens for crimes they commit over and over again and/or free health care/education as compared to their phone bill.
No I'm saying that the Constitution matters. More than just the second amendment. Do you think it does?

Quote:
Didn't the mayor of Oakland already do that?
I won't defend that sort of behavior. But that is not what sanctuary city/state means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 02:37 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Wait, what? You’re advocating for the Federal gov’t to prosecute marijuana in states where recreational use has been deemed legal? Really??? Why may I ask? Most Americans, including myself, would strongly disagree.
Absolutely, but not the topic of this thread.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:48 PM

24,008 posts, read 15,100,850 times
If local law enforcement has an illegal in jail in my town, before releasing them for the reason they were jailed, ICE wants the illegal held until they can pick him up. Sometimes that takes days. It cost the taxpayers money for jail, jail employees and feeding the illegals while waiting for ICE. It takes a while to get that money back from the feds.

Houston just said we are not doing that anymore. Now it is a sanctuary city.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:22 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is going on in liberal areas and in NJ. Our AG told county sheriffs and local law enforcement not to work with ICE. Is this treason? Obstruction of justice? Or is it acceptable?
It's obviously obstruction. Do you have a quote from the AG? I don't doubt he said something, but what exactly did he say, because I know of towns in NJ that are making money holding illegal aliens in their jails when they have excess capacity, and from what I hear, it's very profitable.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:02 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is going on in liberal areas and in NJ. Our AG told county sheriffs and local law enforcement not to work with ICE. Is this treason? Obstruction of justice? Or is it acceptable?
No it is not treason. Treason is defined in the Constitution (Article 3 section 3) as:

Quote:
reason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.
It is an undermining of rule of law, and these politicians should be voted out of office on that basis. I imagine the US congress could pass legislation to put a stop to it, but that won't happen with AOC running the house.

A bunch of county sheriffs in my state have announced refusal to enforce a package of gun laws that was passed by voters last year. Liberals, be careful what you wish for when you trash 'rule of law.'

Old 07-12-2019, 04:06 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
It's obviously obstruction. Do you have a quote from the AG? I don't doubt he said something, but what exactly did he say, because I know of towns in NJ that are making money holding illegal aliens in their jails when they have excess capacity, and from what I hear, it's very profitable.
It's only obstruction if some prosecutor decides to go after it. The whole concept of 'obstruction' seems to be incredibly vague, as any who followed the Mueller report knows.

Seattle police used to routinely charge people with 'obstruction' for what amounted to 'contempt of cop.' That was years ago, and I don't think they're allowed to do that anymore. Come to think of it, Seattle cops aren't allowed to do much of anything anymore.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 PM

662 posts, read 313,715 times
They are obstructing, following the example of our president. Laws only matter when they like them.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:20 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
I can't imagine that the same crowd who have been chanting "local control" and "no big government" for a couple decades would possibly consider yet another Federal Agency as Supreme.

As the Houston PD Chief noted - we arrest crooks, not cooks.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:11 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
No it's certainly not. It's a 10th amendment issue.
Did you read the law I posted?

Old 07-13-2019, 05:16 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
What a Sanctuary city/state does is simply not investigate whether they are citizens to begin with. Which is not their job. Nor can the feds compel them to. 10th amendment.
"What a Sanctuary city/state does is simply not investigate whether they are citizens to begin with."

B.S., and we all know it.

sanctuary city

noun
noun: sanctuary city; plural noun: sanctuary cities

1. (in North America) a city whose municipal laws tend to protect undocumented immigrants from deportation or prosecution, despite federal immigration law.
    "mayors in those cities reaffirmed their status as sanctuary cities"
And it is obvious you did NOT read the LAW I posted.

Just one of the sections., "Encouraging/Inducing -- Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv) makes it an offense for any person who -- encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law.

And your "source" is jut a bunch of lawyers giving THEIR OPINIONS, whereas I posted the law itself. Maybe it is too hard for you to comprehend what it states.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 07-13-2019 at 05:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies