Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 02:39 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why would you want more? What is the point? What are you getting out of it besides more land area and some place to travel to? What can you get from Greenland that you can't get from Alaska?
Lots of rare earth metals like thorium used in superconductor research for alternative energy and other elements used in computer manufacturing and strategic metals like barium.

Its actually very rich in natural resources. They'd be expensive to mine, and need a high degree of technology, but could be history changing with proper research and application of newly developed technologies that could come from having a good source of material available.

Having unfettered access to the ice sheet could also provide valuable information on cyclic climate changes that the earth has always gone through to compare with any modern natural fluctuations we may be going through. Having a full time permanent research facility with US funding could have wide ranging impact.

Not to mention the strategic importance for protecting the sea lanes between the US and Europe.

Greenland is much more than a frozen rock in the North Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 02:40 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,179,117 times
Quote:
What is there to get about Trump? Why else would a President think about buying a territory from another country, especially when the country involved isn't interested in selling?

I do get you. The unhappier so-called "libs" are, the happier you are. Prove me wrong.
You are aware that Truman also tried to purchase Greenland....right?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:40 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
The only thing I'll miss about Trump is his dotards twisting themselves into pretzels attempting to defend every moronic thing he does.

The bad thing is, when ever he is out. You wont be rid of him by long shot. He will be constantly tweeting his rhetoric on problems, how so and so handled something, calling people out and how he would of handled the issue. An erratic ego, a 70+ year old still trying to prove himself. Its sad really.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:46 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
In 1916, during World War 1, the US threatened to occupy the islands if Denmark didn't comply. Denmark preferred a peaceful transfer, so they agreed.

https://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/ho/time/wwi/107293.htm

Was that okay? Hmm. Well it was a different time.
One of the reasons we entered WWI was because of an intercepted offer from Germany trying to get Mexico to invade the US to keep us from entering the war on the side of France and England.
Also the US was worried Germany would annex Denmark and gain control of the strategically important islands becoming a threat in the event the US and Germany went to war, which did happen in 1917.
The US has been trying to acquire those island since the 1860s, at the same time we bought Alaska from the Russians. There was an agreement reached, but politics in the Senate scuttled the plan.

The Virgin Islands would have been strategically important in any war in the western hemisphere we may have become involved in.

Yeah, I would have supported buying those islands too.

Less bloodshed involved in purchasing instead of conquering.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 08-21-2019 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 02:48 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
The bad thing is, when ever he is out. You wont be rid of him by long shot. He will be constantly tweeting his rhetoric on problems, how so and so handled something, calling people out and how he would of handled the issue. An erratic ego, a 70+ year old still trying to prove himself. Its sad really.

He won't be propped up by FoxNews when he's out of office because he'll criticize the republican replacement (when that time comes) just as much as he will any Democrat. They won't stand for him tearing down their house. Anything that is a threat to his ego will be fair game. He won't play by team rules.

Side note- was in the USVI last week. Very glad the U.S. purchased them (and eventually turned a large portion of them into a national park). Beautiful spot.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Why would you want more? What is the point? What are you getting out of it besides more land area and some place to travel to? What can you get from Greenland that you can't get from Alaska?
Quote:
Those reasons are not good enough for this country. I don't care about what you want. It isn't about you.
then why did you ask in the first place?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:53 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Lots of rare earth metals like thorium used in superconductor research for alternative energy and other elements used in computer manufacturing and strategic metals like barium.

Its actually very rich in natural resources. They'd be expensive to mine, and need a high degree of technology, but could be history changing with proper research and application of newly developed technologies that could come from having a good source of material available.

Having unfettered access to the ice sheet could also provide valuable information on cyclic climate changes that the earth has always gone through to compare with any modern natural fluctuations we may be going through. Having a full time permanent research facility with US funding could have wide ranging impact.

Not to mention the strategic importance for protecting the sea lanes between the US and Europe.

Greenland is much more than a frozen rock in the North Atlantic.
I mentioned that there are mining resources in Greenland. I'm saying it isn't practical. The USA has resources. Rare earth metals are available in the USA. We can mine rare earth metals right here in America. The USA has far more thorium than Greenland. Besides, thorium is not in high demand.

Many of the minerals that can be found in Greenland, the USA has. We have iron, copper, platinum, thorium, uranium, aluminum, zinc, and titanium.

And I'm aware of scientific research being done in Greenland. Why would we need to buy Greenland to do that? We have a U.S. Air Force Base in Greenland.

This deal Trump is trying to work out, it isn't for practical reasons. And it isn't like Denmark is trying to sell it to anyone. This is for Trump's personal gain. I also suspect part of this is about trying to build an American Empire. And no one has asked this question: Do the residents of Greenland want to be part of the USA?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
then why did you ask in the first place?
I wanted that person to come up with a better answer than selfish reasons.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
You are aware that Truman also tried to purchase Greenland....right?
Yes, and he didn't get to buy it. Truman didn't react like a petulant brat when the deal fell through. And I wouldn't have been on board with Truman doing it.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:56 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
All this angst, chest beating and hair pulling, I doubt there was much notice when we bought the US Virgin Islands, (the Danish West Indies), from Denmark in 1917.
Not that I blame anyone for not following the ins and outs of an obscure episode in history, but the reality is, you couldn't be more wrong.

It was an absolute mess, ended up taking 50 years. The first attempts were made in 1867, and failed in the US Senate. Another deal was very close to being inked in 1902, but fell through due to political shenanigans in Denmark. The parties that had worked out the deal lost an election and immediately sabotaged their own deal, to make life harder for the new government.

It took an actual world war for the US and Denmark to get back to the table, and even then, Denmark's opposition parties hated on the deal and insisted that it could not go forward without either a lower-chamber election (Denmark had a bicameral parliament in these days) or a plebiscite. To make matters worse, women and servants had just been given the vote, so no one knew what the new lower-chamber would look like. To make matters even worse yet, Denmark was neutral and the deal had to be settled before the US entered WWI, in order to not anger Germany. It took the King's intervention, addition of opposition ministers in government, a research commission and finally a plebiscite to finally get the deal done. To give an impression of the tone of the arguments, here's a contemporary caricature of the commission working:

"angst, chest beating and hair pulling" doesn't even begin to cover it.

As a footnote, part of the treaty saw the US acknowledge full Danish control over - Greenland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies