Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 07:04 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,950,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Human rights???
This is about buying some land not people.

In 1917 there was language in the treaty protecting the inhabitants of the Virgin Islands so they didn't lose any private property or their status as Danish citizens if they chose.

Human rights aren't at issue here.
It's like Trump asking the Queen of England if he can buy Canada or Australia. Does that sound normal?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 07:06 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,522 times
Quote:
Buying a piece of property from a friend doesn't change your friendship, no different from buying a couch or a car from a friend.
Buying from them doesn't cancel the friendship or else the US and Denmark would have stopped speaking after we bought the Virgin Islands in 1917, but instead we drove the nazis out of Denmark in 1944-45. Something a friend would do for a friend.

Trying to make it sound like this is the first time one country bought land from another only makes you sound uninformed at best.

France may not have been happy to sell the Louisiana territory, but a mutually agreed upon price was reached and the sale went through. I'll agree when counties exchange real estate it's more complicated than a private sale between individuals, but except for scale and complexity, that's all this is.

Same as when Truman first floated the idea when he was in office.

Not that big of a deal unless the sale goes through of course.
Lets say you live in Oklahoma and Putin start talking about buying your state. My guess is as a resident you are going to be none too happy.

Remember. This hits the news when there was zero talks with Denmark.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:08 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yeah, unlike Trump, I have never bankrupted others in my real estate deals, and actually pay my contractors. And actually have more equity in properties than banks and Russian oligarchs have. I ain't Putin on the ritz.
Good for you, so what?

If this sale goes through, it's not President Trump buying it, it's the United States, so the treaty would have to be approved by the US Senate and the money would have to be approved by the US House.

President Trump's history in real estate has nothing to do with paying Denmark if the deal went through.
Irrelevant argument to the substance of the issue.

What would be germane would be to question if we could afford the purchase, but I guess that isn't as important as bashing the President for his audacity in proposing the deal in the first place.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
It's like Trump asking the Queen of England if he can buy Canada or Australia. Does that sound normal?
Why not? I like Canada better, but Australia has some good points.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Lets say you live in Oklahoma and Putin start talking about buying your state. My guess is as a resident you are going to be none too happy.

There will never be talks with Denmark about buying Greenland. It's like the states thinking they can have a talk with the Queen of England about buying Canada. It is absurd. There's no other word for what Trump has said and done. The days of fiefdom and serfdom are long gone.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Why not? I like Canada better, but Australia has some good points.
Have at it. It's best for Trump to repeat the same strategy. He can ask the Prime Minister of Australia if he can buy Canada. They might go for it.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post

How much are they offering? Maybe a trade for Siberia?? Lots of resources there, could be a good trade.

Just because an offer is tended doesn't mean it will be accepted. Denmark isn't obligated to sell, but you don't know until you ask.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
This whole business is absurd nonsense.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Have at it. It's best for Trump to repeat the same strategy. He can ask the Prime Minister of Australia if he can buy Canada. They might go for it.
Never know until you ask.

However he'd have to talk to Queen Elizabeth. Prime ministers wouldn't have that authority especially for another country in the commonwealth. The Queen as sovereign would need to approve such a transaction.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:18 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,522 times
Quote:
How much are they offering? Maybe a trade for Siberia?? Lots of resources there, could be a good trade.

Just because an offer is tended doesn't mean it will be accepted. Denmark isn't obligated to sell, but you don't know until you ask.
So you have that must disrespect for americans in Oklahoma? Its ok to sell their land out from under them? Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies