Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 10:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
My wife and i currently self insure, it is roughly $8k a year. While it sucks to have to pay that, we deal with it. It is going to be a hard sell to charge me another $2k a year , probably more by the time it is all done , for insurance that I know won't be the same level.

And if it is run anything like it is in AU, those that make above a certain salary are encouraged to buy their own insurance, and if they don't they get penalized by more taxes. Right there tells you the system is crap, and won't sustain itself.
Curious.By self insure, do you mean you pay out of pocket for healthcare or do you mean you have an Individual, non subsidized plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 10:51 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,239,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Only the free market will ever bring down healthcare costs. Let that one sink in. Anything else that is tried may be good for redistributing money, but it won't work at controlling costs.
Agreed. Problem is free market principles only apply to non-emergent care. Perhaps there is a place for Government run hospital care insurance. And free market outpatient care (primary care ect.) where market forces can put pressure on cost.

As long as both emergent care and outpatient care are tied together, cost will be uncontrollable due to hospital losses.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:53 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
There's a strong correlation between poverty and obesity.

Fresh fruits and veg are more expensive than crappy processed food - this is by design.
Why does a 2 liter of Coke cost more than a head of broccoli? Because corn syrup is subsidized and broccoli is not?

Read up on food deserts - there are many rural places in the US that don't have access to fresh food because it isn't profitable for a store to operate there. And whatever stores are there primarily store non-perishable (read: processed) foods.

It's not a cultural thing.
My relatives who live in rural areas simply take that weekly hour drive to the grocery store. It ain’t that difficult.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:53 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
While no fan of the Medicare for All pitch, it is not management of healthcare.

Most healthcare is provided by the private sector. No MD is forced to accept a Medicare reimbursement. No MD is forced to accept a private insurer’s reimbursement.
Of course few discuss MD reimbursement under such a scheme. It will quickly become obvious that if the docs are not adequately reimbursed, then they will as a group drag their feet, think less, pawn off more patients, be less available and such. And this of course does not improve the quality of care, but does make it more expensive.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:56 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
While no fan of the Medicare for All pitch, it is not management of healthcare.

Most healthcare is provided by the private sector. No MD is forced to accept a Medicare reimbursement. No MD is forced to accept a private insurer’s reimbursement.
Yes, but under Medicare for All it would be economically difficult to not accept Medicare.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:59 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, but under Medicare for All it would be economically difficult to not accept Medicare.
More reasons docs will not be in favor. Not only should patients have choices in their HC, so should docs have choices in patients and plans to accept.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:01 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, my jaw dropped when I heard her say that. Jeezuz these pinheads running things are a joke. Could you imagine private businesses being ran and doing things like the way the government does???

I have a co-worker that loves and wants the government to control and run everything. In the next breath he complains about how bad the DMV is. I'm like you can't have it both ways dude.
The left won’t admit what an utter failure Obama’s signature healthcare policy was. And they want to mimic another government run healthcare. Washington can’t even balance the budget, what makes them think they can afford healthcare to the world.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:06 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My relatives who live in rural areas simply take that weekly hour drive to the grocery store. It ain’t that difficult.
Not only that, those who live in rural areas have enough land to grow their own fruits and vegetables, chickens and eggs, goat milk and cheese, etc.

Besides that point, the highest poverty rates are in cities, not in rural areas. Cities have plenty of access to grocery stores.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:07 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Of course few discuss MD reimbursement under such a scheme. It will quickly become obvious that if the docs are not adequately reimbursed, then they will as a group drag their feet, think less, pawn off more patients, be less available and such. And this of course does not improve the quality of care, but does make it more expensive.
Agree, and Ii also think we will have a shortage of doctors. My cousin is a Director of Admissions in charge of recruitment for a major university. She has told me that a concern already being expressed by future med students is the Medicare For All scenario. The students are concerned going in to this field maybe not be lucrative or frankly, worth all the invested work and years.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Feds won't manage your healthcare with M4A any more than Medicare manages mine now. All it does is pay for it. It is up to me to choose doctors, treatments, pharmacies, etc. I just never see a bill. My Medicare payments are set up for autopay. I never have to argue about co-pays or what is covered. It is really easy.
No MD is forced to accept a Medicare reimbursement. While most do, most limit the number of Medicare patients. Depending on geography, it can be very challenging to find a medical practice accepting new patients, unless the patient is willing to buy into a concierge program, with annual fees typically in the $1000-5000 range.

As you know, Medicare does not cover everything. For this reason, many have supplemental plans or opt into Advantage Plans with narrow networks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies