Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 10:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This whole subject is full of confusion for me. It seems like we're inundated with varying information from that the costs won't go up much to this thing will cost the average tax payer 10k more in taxes. Every time this subject comes up on various cable news shows you've got all of the talking heads saying this and that and there seems to be a lot of noise about just how much this will cost and how great/bad it will be.

I just wished that there was some kind of unbiased economic based study done to give the real costs. It's all over the place and I end up feeling more confused and bewildered about what it really will take to fix the healthcare system because both sides can make some sense at times but there's real cognitive dissonance when you start trying to reconcile things out.

My gut is telling me that unless you curb and cap the illegals into the country and drastically cut military spending that how in the world is this not going to cost the middle class and up a lot more money. Again, my gut isn't a true metric here so what the hell do I know??
one of the problems is sanders and his lack of math skills

he went from saying 3.2trillion per year...to 4 trillion per year..to just recently "I cant say how much it will cost"

there are only 150 million tax filers...of those 45% have a zero or negative tax liability (means they get everything back..ie the pay zero in federal income tax)

which means you have only about 85 million (82.5 actually) taxpayers

4 trillion divided by 85 million is..... 47k average to each taxpayer....so his 10k is a bold faced lie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 10:42 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You have to consider the total cost of your health insurance, not just the part you personally pay. Just like the taxes refer to the total taxes paid by both employer and employee. If you pay $200 a month in Medicare for all taxes and the employer pays $800 a month, that's a thousand dollars a month you are paying.

Employers reduce wages in order to "pay for your healthcare". Thats true for both insurance and payroll taxes.
Please, do you actually believe employers will give employees all an $800 a month raise if we went to Medicare for All?

What will happen is the employee will pay more and the employer will pay less. It will screw the working man.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Will the elderly be exempt from paying the Medicare tax? My parents paid in for nearly 40 years. Should Mom now pay $1000 a month (Dad is deceased, may he RIP) on her modest fixed income?
The conceptual Medicare Tax would be imposed on those not eligible for traditional Medicare.

Again, I have no idea why anyone thinks Medicare for All would become a reality, regardless of who is elected.

I also don’t understand why Trump’s base was OK with Trump’s campaign promises to “take care of everybody and the government is going to pay for it”. Is this not the epitome of socialized medicine that Trump’s base claims Medicare for all, is?

Closer to Election Day, the Trump promise changed to better healthcare at a fraction of the cost.

He had no plan.

He had no plan.

He had no plan.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
We are also the fattest country in the developed world. No surprise we pay more.

not only are we one of the fattest countries but also

and let's not forget: Obesity rates among OECD nations increased in recent years, with the highest rate in the U.S. at 34.3% -- which means one in 3 Americans is by definition obese.

number of americans getting cancer (new cases) per year 1.8 million for a total of 19 million people being treated (fighting) each year...each year at least 570,000 die from cancer

number of americans with heart desease: 26.2 million and of those
((Number of visits with heart disease as primary diagnosis: 16 million ))
((Number of discharges with heart disease as first-listed diagnosis: 4.2 million))
number of americans in nursing homes: 2 million
More than 25 million Americans have significant vision loss.
(((hmmm more than 25 million americans are blind or going blind.....that's more than norway,finland, denmark,switzerland,and austria COMBINED TOTAL population....)))

number of americans with diabetes: 26 million
mumber of americans with asthma: 20 million....Each day 11 Americans die from asthma.

while some of those may overlap...look at those numbers 19,26,25,26,20...that's 116 million with MAJOR health problem,,costly problems......we will ALWAYS be the largest spender in the world...we have the 3rd hightest population in the world (next to china and india) and we have more people (total, not a percentage) with major problems than any other country in europe.....I just showed you at least 116 million people with cancer,heart,blindness, diabetes, asthma.......that's more than france and great britian COMBINED for their total populations.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:45 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Agree, tax reform will need to go hand-in-hand with healthcare reform. Eliminating so-called individual and corporate loopholes would also help. Employer contributions plus a more robust tax base and clear tax rates would help fund a public option healthcare.
There can be no more wage earners paying zero or negative federal income and payroll tax rates. EVERYONE has to pay. A flat tax rate is best as it's directly proportionate to one's wages. Earn more = pay more. Earn less = pay less.

The problem with increasing the corporate tax rate is that corporations don't actually pay them. The cost of corporate taxes is passed on to the end users/consumers as taxes are included in the category of overhead in the pricing formula. If everyone is good with that, OK.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:46 AM

1,186 posts, read 967,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That is mostly due to certain populations.

https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/b...lvl=4&lvlid=25

Is it a cultural thing? What gives?

There's a strong correlation between poverty and obesity.

Fresh fruits and veg are more expensive than crappy processed food - this is by design.
Why does a 2 liter of Coke cost more than a head of broccoli? Because corn syrup is subsidized and broccoli is not?

Read up on food deserts - there are many rural places in the US that don't have access to fresh food because it isn't profitable for a store to operate there. And whatever stores are there primarily store non-perishable (read: processed) foods.

It's not a cultural thing.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:46 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
one of the problems is sanders and his lack of math skills

he went from saying 3.2trillion per year...to 4 trillion per year..to just recently "I cant say how much it will cost"

there are only 150 million tax filers...of those 45% have a zero or negative tax liability (means they get everything back..ie the pay zero in federal income tax)

which means you have only about 85 million (82.5 actually) taxpayers

4 trillion divided by 85 million is..... 47k average to each taxpayer....so his 10k is a bold faced lie
He's betting on the masses to have no sense of arithmetic. And he could win that bet.

Reminds me of a joke. (We have room for levity here, don't we?) When Stevenson was running for president in the 50's, a supporter said, "don't worry, Adlai.....every thinking American will vote for you," to which Adlai responded, "yeah, but I need a majority."

Old 08-29-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Please, do you actually believe employers will give employees all an $800 a month raise if we went to Medicare for All?

What will happen is the employee will pay more and the employer will pay less. It will screw the working man.
liberals have been trying to kill the middleclass since at least the 70's

liberals dream of two classes...the rich liberal elite masters...and the poor serfs surviving on the crumbs of welfare

Old 08-29-2019, 10:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
It takes a special kind of stupid to believe the federal government is capable of competently managing everyone's health care. No thanks.
While no fan of the Medicare for All pitch, it is not management of healthcare.

Most healthcare is provided by the private sector. No MD is forced to accept a Medicare reimbursement. No MD is forced to accept a private insurer’s reimbursement.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:49 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
There's a strong correlation between poverty and obesity.

Fresh fruits and veg are more expensive than crappy processed food - this is by design.
False. For example, a 13 ounce bag of chips costs $3.89. A one pound bag of baby carrots costs $1.49.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies