Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 04:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

This single issue will sink Sanders' chances.

Liberals were in support of Obamacare because most of them get employer-based insurance, which they ciuld keep - and thus the impact of giving health insurance to everyone was minimal to them. But now that Sanders is proposing to eliminate private insurance, most of the liberals under employer insurance will balk - and not vote for himin the primary.

https://www.nepr.net/post/sanders-ke...-back#stream/0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 05:19 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh but they are lower.

The tax rate for a married couple with one income and two kids in the U.S. is 12 times as high as the tax rate on the same family in Canada.No, that’s not a typo.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...cd_a_23426460/

and how easy is it to immigrate illegally to Canada?

Old 08-30-2019, 05:35 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Ok, someone remind me again why employers paying $17,000-$20,000 per year on behalf of an employee is a bad thing and the employee paying this $17,000-$20,000 per year out of his or her own pocket is a good thing.
I doubt anyone will address your question. Neither will Sanders define what is considered to be "middle class".

Old 08-30-2019, 05:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I doubt anyone will address your question. Neither will Sanders define what is considered to be "middle class".
Has he said whether seniors already on Medicare will be exempt from this big tax hike? It will be a killer for elderly people like my mother, living in a senior facility with a fixed income that barely covers her expenses as it is.

Sanders won't get the nod. Neither will Biden, who is too old, plagued by past racist comments, and showing significant signs of cognitive decline. The nominee will be Warren.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:06 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Has he said whether seniors already on Medicare will be exempt from this big tax hike? It will be a killer for elderly people like my mother, living in a senior facility with a fixed income that barely covers her expenses as it is.

Sanders won't get the nod. Neither will Biden, who is too old, plagued by past racist comments, and showing significant signs of cognitive decline. The nominee will be Warren.
Interesting prediction. You may be right. Old White guys are not very well regarded by Democrats these days. You can't be WOKE and be a straight, White Male. Your White Privilege, and Toxic Masculinity can't be cured.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:07 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:

The race imposter, Ă  la Rachel Dolezal? Really? The woman who whines about student debt but was paid $350,000/year to teach ONE class at Harvard Law? She'll go down in flames.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:11 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
It has already been addressed. To sum it up, people misunderstand how the taxes will be implemented. People think they'll get a $10 000 increase of their income taxes, when in reality a Medicare-for-all employer payroll tax will replace the premiums that employers pay now. The media just refers to this as "your taxes you have to pay" and deliberately deceive people because they're fighting for the status quo.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:13 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Has he said whether seniors already on Medicare will be exempt from this big tax hike?
You've already gotten the answer to this. They'll be exempt and will get more comprehensive care than now.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:27 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
It has already been addressed. To sum it up, people misunderstand how the taxes will be implemented. People think they'll get a $10 000 increase of their income taxes, when in reality a Medicare-for-all employer payroll tax will replace the premiums that employers pay now. The media just refers to this as "your taxes you have to pay" and deliberately deceive people because they're fighting for the status quo.

I don't recall anyone saying that this is how it will be paid. Just because you think a M4A payroll tax on employer sounds like a good way to pay for it doesn't mean that's what they intend to do. What is needed is a comprehensive nuts-and-bolts plan that is published but no one will put that much money and effort into it.

What's odd is that corporate America doesn't seem to be pushing M4A. Seems if they stood to save money they would be pushing it hard, and corporate America usually gets whatever they want.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Look at people like me - still working mainly for the health insurance. I would be more than happy to free up my good paying job for a younger person. But at age 58 - I can't. I'm too young to qualify for Medicare; make too much money to qualify for Medicaid or to get any kind of decent Obamacare premium.

I would LOVE for there to be a way to decouple health insurance from employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies