Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 07:35 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Canada has 1/10th the population of the United States, and considerably more than half of the people pay taxes, unlike here.

Canada's taxes are NOT lower than here, that's a joke.
Oh but they are lower.

The tax rate for a married couple with one income and two kids in the U.S. is 12 times as high as the tax rate on the same family in Canada.No, that’s not a typo.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...cd_a_23426460/

Last edited by sanspeur; 08-29-2019 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 07:36 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
My biggest concern with Medicare for All is reimbursement for health services.

Private insurance reimburses health services more than Medicare.

What will happen with Healthcare Facilities losing money? Also how will the economy be affected with more taxes taken out of individuals outcome?
These are big deals. Most HC related entities expect to make less profit moving forward toward more UHC. So by and large they are not enamored with the idea and will not support most of it from the outset. For instance docs also want choices. Choices of which plans and patients to take on.

The trick will be to take less middle class tax and still provide adequate care. And that will require more new money creation moving forward.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:40 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't understand why the USA cannot find a way to finance a single payer health plan without huge tax increases when Canada does it and has lower taxes than the US.....Perhaps your money is being spent in the wrong places? Having a 22 trillion dollar debt doesn't help, I guess.
We need to start thinking out of the box with our fiat money when it concerns huge and broad social programs like infrastructure, HC and the Military.

If China Can Fund infrastructure with Its Own Credit, So Can*We: Ellen Brown ~ Mike Norman Economics

Old 08-29-2019, 07:51 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
LOL. A leftist huffpost article? I'm supposed to believe that?

Canadians pay way more in taxes, how the hell do you think they pay for free healthcare for the whole population? I know Canadians, they plainly admit the taxes are high. Canadians on these boards plainly admit taxes are higher. Things also cost more there.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:18 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
I’ll give Bernie SOME credit here. At least he’s being honest about who will pay for all the government he wants here. Unlike Kamala Harris for example. Most of the left regularly lie about who will pay for all the government they want. For example, the top 1% last year earned about 19% of the total taxable income, that leaves 81%! for the rest of us to cover. A lot of taxable income lies within our large upper middle class(over 40%) but most of those people reside in high cost, already high tax coastal areas where their expendable after tax purchasing power is about on par with the working middle class is living in middle America.

Truth is in order to fund all this government they will need to turn the IRS into the mob going after everyone including regular working people, even poor people. For example I have a friend who lives in Denmark he only makes about 20k a year, he failed to report a bunch of income for the past few years(because he can’t afford the 40% tax on it) so the IRS there garnished his bank account, he is being threatened with jail time for back taxes that he can not afford to pay. This is someone who is legitimately poor.

Last edited by cttransplant85; 08-29-2019 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-29-2019, 09:53 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Oh but they are lower.

The tax rate for a married couple with one income and two kids in the U.S. is 12 times as high as the tax rate on the same family in Canada.No, that’s not a typo.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...cd_a_23426460/
I think not.. depends on income brackets and deductions

one income family, 4 kids here...earn 75k...pay zero in federal income taxes (get everything back in April)

but...

pay (owe) in state income tax… and pay hefty in local property tax (15k property tax is 20% if my gross income)

and

pay ~756/month for government FEHB (Aetna)

Old 08-30-2019, 12:56 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
What about Canadian sales taxes?

But let’s be honest here we spend more on both military and healthcare which along with old age pensions drive the budget. Let’s also be honest and state universal health care won’t save us money.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:15 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, and Obama did NOTHING to contain costs. All it did was shift them more into the middle class.

Example: I just went to the in-network dermatologist because I had two tiny (less than 1/4 inch) rough patches on my shoulder, about 1/2 inch apart. She told me they were nothing, but she could zap them off with a freezing solution that would take a few seconds, which she advised.

The cost? It was $125 for the 20-second exam to say hello and look at them, $220 for the first 3-second "zap," and $220 for the second 3-second "zap" immediately adjacent. Total of almost $600 for a few minutes with the doctor, and of course Obamacare paid nothing - after close to $900/month premium.
And Jonathan Gruber's speech at the University of Rhode Island in 2012 proves that, but the University of Rhode Island has now pulled that video from the web, and claims that Gruber won't let them repost it. Gruber is running with his tail between his legs rather than standing up and facing the music.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:37 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,498 times
My mediocre Kaiser plan for my wife and kid (1!) costs literally 25k a year. Of that I pay about 7k out of pocket.

If I had a 10k a month medicare plan and my employer covered a similar percentage amount Id be *way*, *way* better off. Even if they were cheap and only covered half Id still be better off. If they paid none and gave me a measly 5k raise after they pushed the entire cost of health insurance onto me I'd still be better off.

If you crunch the numbers you will see this benefits most families.

I lived in Australia for a bit and there healthcare was so much better than ours it was laughable. They spend less per capita too because 30% of the taxes to pay healthcare don't go to health insurance company "administrative fees."

Old 08-30-2019, 04:05 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
LOL. A leftist huffpost article? I'm supposed to believe that?

Canadians pay way more in taxes, how the hell do you think they pay for free healthcare for the whole population?
Canadians pay about $3500 in taxes per person for health care while we pay about $5500 per person. Thats more than 50% higher health care taxes in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies