Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 11:34 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The Topic title is misleading.

"He added that a family currently paying $20,000 for private insurance – in premiums and out-of-pocket expenses – would see that obligation eliminated. Instead, taxes would increase by $10,000.

“Is that a good deal? I think it’s a pretty good deal,” he said."

Sanders has the family paying $10K more in taxes, but also not needing to spend the $20K OOP for HC.

Isn't that a $10K gain for the family?

I wouldn't trust Sanders to accurately tell me what my cable bill will be much less my healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 11:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Just an FYI... The ten most profitable industries, by sector, and their net profit margins:

1. Accounting, Tax Preparation, Bookkeeping, and Payroll Services 19.8%
2. Legal Services 17.8%
3. Oil and Gas Extraction 16.4%
4. Commercial and Industrial Machinery and Equipment Rental and Leasing 16.4%
5. Offices of Dentists 14.9%
6. Lessors of Real Estate 14.1%
7. Offices of Physicians 14.1%
8. Offices of Real Estate Agents and Brokers 14.1%
9. Offices of other Health Practitioners 12.6%
10. Management of Companies and Enterprises 12.6%

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/feki.../#6b0474907a39

Note that insurance companies do not even make the top 15.
Note that Dentists have higher profit margins than Physicians, according to the link.

Dentistry prices have little to do with insurance reimbursements. Employers who offer a dental benefit typically self insure and pay an insurer to manage the benefit according to the highly variable employer’s plan.

Now let’s talk canine dental care, shall we. I spent $1500 last month to have one of my dog’s teeth cleaned and the extraction of 11 teeth. ( Dogs have 42 teeth).

And lastly, there’s cosmetic surgery. This is one of the best compensated/ most lucrative medical specialties. Most procedures are cosmetic and as a result, uninsured. Can’t blame government or insurance.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:37 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Ouch..yeah screw that. That's going to be a big nope from me.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Once ACA is dismantled cost should go down.
Crystal ball time?

Costs have been increasing since forever.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:46 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Note that Dentists have higher profit margins than Physicians, according to the link.

Dentistry prices have little to do with insurance reimbursements. Employers who offer a dental benefit typically self insure and pay an insurer to manage the benefit according to the highly variable employer’s plan.

Now let’s talk canine dental care, shall we. I spent $1500 last month to have one of my dog’s teeth cleaned and the extraction of 11 teeth. ( Dogs have 42 teeth).

And lastly, there’s cosmetic surgery. This is one of the best compensated/ most lucrative medical specialties. Most procedures are cosmetic and as a result, uninsured. Can’t blame government or insurance.
What's interesting to me is that neither insurance companies nor hospitals nor pharmaceutical companies made the top 15 most profitable list, only OFFICES of dentists, physicians, and other health practitioners did. Perhaps that's where cost-cutting efforts need to focus.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:46 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

you are correct that health care, especially in specialties such as dental, vet, and cosmetic are expensive

and M4A will not cover those...not ever....medicare doesn't even cover nursing homes for the elderly

medicare has many denials of service...as will M4A.... to include..."sorry we wont cover the better medicine of Nexium, but we will cover the more basic Prilosec for your severe heartburn/acid reflux"..."we don't care that you have Barrett's esophagus (severe burning and scaring of the esophagas)".....Tri-care just recently did that,,,and Tri-care is government care

Old 08-29-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
That will be much harder for companies when workers no longer are chained to the employer for health care. M4A boosts workers' power. If the employer currently pays $10 000 in insurance premiums and they instead have to pay $10 000 in M4A payroll taxes, you cant argue that workers will lose $10 000. If the M4A employer payroll tax is lower, its also likely that the employee portion would be lower than what the employee pays now in premiums, co-pays and deductibles. The evidence is overwhelming that a national health care system is good for ordinary people. Thats why every developed country has it.

While the terms are often used interchangeably, Universal HC is not National HC

At least 32 countries have Universal HC which means nearly everyone is COVERED by insurance, public or private or a combo.

Most countries with Universal Healthcare do not operate under a National HC model.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What happens with the elderly who "earned" their way to a $140 monthly premium (or something like that) by paying into Medicare for 40+ years? These are people who were banking on an affordable premium in their low, fixed-income years.

For example, let's say a new retiree has an income of $3,000 - $4,000 a month, before taxes. Factored into the decision to retire was the low monthly premium once he moved from Obamare ($900 a month) to Medicare ($140ish, plus a supplement of around $150). Raising the cost to $1000/month on retirees and near-retirees when they are no longer able to increase their income can spell financial disaster.
Why speculate those enrolled in traditional Medicare would be expected to pay into a Medicare for All scheme?

Why assume Congress will go along with a Medicare for All scheme, no matter who is elected?

Old 08-29-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
it was the government that did that, with the AMA and the hospital association

costs will never go down until we sever the hospital model...most of these other countries that have national health, left the hospital model for the clinic model
Labor shortages following WW2 compelled many employers to offer a hospitalization benefit.

I hear you about the hospital vs poly clinic thing. Makes no sense most births occur in hospitals that tend to be prepared for any trauma or infectious disease.

Having said this, rural healthcare is a global challenge, regardless of public or private insurance.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
IMO if Trump returns in 2020 above all he will want a famous lasting legacy. How better but to rename our HC system after him and erase Obama? Trump is no Pub or conservative. A lame duck Trump might put a totally new reality TV show!
Congress is far more likely to reform the ACA than it will embrace any Medicare for All scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies