Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 03:19 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times

Advertisements

I mean additionally, any safety impacts of vaping cant be taken in a vacuum, they have to be contrasted with the harmful effects of actually just smoking (whatever) their non vape alternative is...

If vaping kills 100 people a year and smoking cigs kills 100,000 then vaping is helping lessen the greater harm.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 09-11-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 03:30 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
It won't really help you get off the nicotine. You can do the same thing with cigarettes, just smoke less. By far the most effective strategy is the oldest and simplest. You want to quit smoking? Quit smoking. Regardless of what method you use you're going to go through withdrawals and you're either willing to or you're not. You can taper with cigarettes, vaping, gum but all you're really doing is trading a longer withdrawal period for less severe withdrawal.

If you want to quit smoking it's okay for that. It's probably better than smoking even with the latest scare of people getting hospitalized. No one really knows what is causing that. Might be related to THC, most but not all used THC products as well as nicotine. Might be related to buying from non-reputable sources. Stick to larger companies, particular ones that publish lab results for their products. Nobody really knows though. I would say the best option to taper off of is a combination of patch/gum rather than vaping, but there's the psychological aspect as well as the nicotine dependence and vaping works there where they do not. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper than smoking or especially gum/patch. Half a pack/day habit vaping was about $20/month plus cotton/wire for coils which are negligible. If you don't want to walk around with a stupid looking brick that leaks in your pocket the pod systems (Juul and imitations) are much more expensive but still cheaper than gum.

So yeah, I found it great for quitting smoking. Didn't do a damn for the nicotine addiction. Just tossed the stuff one day and was a jerk for a few weeks. If you want to exchange one type of nicotine in take for another though, vaping is probably quite a bit better than smoking.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-11-2019 at 03:39 PM..

Old 09-11-2019, 04:09 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Nice to have a President who tries to solve tough problems. The last one would have done nothing.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:12 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don’t smoke but I know that vaping has helped people quit cigarettes. Vaping weed is burning people’s lungs. I don’t recommend doing either.
Seniors in Florida have been vaping medical marijuana for a number of years now--big time. Lots of them. It is good for arthritis and other age-related medical issues. The dispensaries even give them senior discounts.

Have not heard of anyone at all getting ill from this, and older people should be affected if there is something carcinogenic in the vape cartridges.

Something else is going on here. Either a new additive has been introduced or something--but it certainly would have been picked up by now. Retirees have been buying tons of vape cartridges without serious health issues being reported.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:13 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Seniors in Florida have been vaping medical marijuana for a number of years now--big time. Lots of them. It is good for arthritis and other age-related medical issues. The dispensaries even give them senior discounts.

Have not heard of anyone at all getting ill from this, and older people should be affected if there is something carcinogenic in the vape cartridges.

Something else is going on here. Either a new additive has been introduced or something--but it certainly would have been picked up by now. Retirees are buying tons of vape cartridges without serious health issues being reported.
There is basically no oversight so some kind of tainted supply is probably the most likely case.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:15 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Make it illegal for any youth teen etc. The illness that do come from infections of the lungs are devastating. The droplets are some how really bad on the lungs. Is it the item used or the drug I don’t know. But find out!
Yes, make it illegal then find out.

*sigh*

Old 09-11-2019, 04:30 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,393,123 times
Well, two and a half weeks in, and I'm SO GLAD I don't smoke cigs anymore!

I'm just about done with 12 MG Nicotine, and switching to 6MG (already have it), 3 after that.

Hopefully saved by Zero.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:39 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Nice to have a President who tries to solve tough problems. The last one would have done nothing.
If he was really trying he would ban cancer sticks not their substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Nasty habit, same as smoking. All the nonsense about this list of chemicals to inhale being better than that other list of chemicals to inhale...stop it. You're still inhaling a bunch of unnecessary crap into your body's cardiopulmonary system and screwing with the natural balance. Be intellectually honest about it, and don't try to make vaping sound like a solid way to train for running marathons and extended free diving. Vapers sound so freaking stupid with their "healthy smoke" foolishness.

That said, if you dig it, do it. If you don't dig it, then don't do it. Simple. I won't stand in your way, nor should anyone else, particularly Leviathan. Always and forever a champion of self-ownership.

PS - I smoked for 15 years. I quit cold turkey and never looked back almost 25 years ago. At no point did I delude myself on what my habit was, how destructive and costly it was, etc. Vapers should try that intellectual honesty...seriously.

It is healthier. What gets put out is just vapor. A spray of Lysol bothers me more than that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Why is Trump banning e-cigarettes?

Isn't that a Nanny State move?

Not to mention there are things much more dangerous than vaping, like guns and real cigarettes.

I know. They care nothing about us bystanders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

As for those who are vaping all the time - I don't care. It's vapor. No one can even whine about "the smell", (which potheads like to do about cigarette smoke but never realize how disgusting they reek), because there isn't one.

I still don't understand why the smell would bother you. I mean I guess there is always that possibility because everyone is different but if it doesn't bother me it likely isn't going to bother all those people.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:40 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Great point! The long term data is not in yet!

That's why I want to use this option to ween myself from being a nicotine junkie, lol.

The ingredient Propolyne Glycol gives me pause, but damn cigs are loaded with proven carcinogens.

I'm striving to quite altogether, and this road seems viable, and is working for me.
Propylene glycol is an additive in many foods, cosmetics, and is used as a carrier in breathing treatments. It's found in beer, theatrical fog machines, and is used for air sanitization in hospitals.

The recent rash of lung issues link back to black market THC carts that have vitamin e acetate in them.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:43 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,403,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
There is basically no oversight so some kind of tainted supply is probably the most likely case.
Perhaps a first lady Melania overreacting due to having a teenage son?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies