Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 09:22 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And yet I have been vaping for over 10 years and no lung problems whereas theses kids were vaping for a few months and are having major lung problems. That alone tells me that they aren't vaping regular PG/VG nicotine and flavoring.
Or it's an allergic reaction caused by PG/VG, or flavoring.

If you expose 10M people to normally benign substances a few hundred having allergic reactions is to be expected.

That said, I'm still not even convinced it's an issue with PG/VG, flavorings and nicotine, because the only place these issues have surfaced in any numbers to be above background noise is the US. There's no similar issues emerging anywhere else.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:24 PM

10,491 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I recently quit smoking cigarettes by switching to vaping.

I started out with a high nicotine blend to assure I won't want to light a cig, and it has worked beyond my belief! I plan to gradually lessen the nicotine ratio to hopefully get to a point of why bother anymore.

There has been media hype lately demonizing vaping, right at the same time I chose to switch, so I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on the matter.

Thanks!
The media doesn't hark on something unless their elite bosses tell them to. I'm going to assume that somebody is losing money big due to the vaping trend, so they are trying to stop it in it's tracks now. Could it be big tobacco? Is the governments losing revenue due to less people smoking now? Either way, I smell an agenda, and it has nothing to do with protecting the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 10:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
Me reading 70% of your posts on this thread. But ok, I expected the percentage to be even higher.

1. It is not smoking. It is vaping. Smoking implies a combustible product. Nothing is combustible in vaping.

2. It is not tobacco. What you probably think by that is nicotine. However, you can vape e-liquid without any nicotine if you choose so. By the way that is exactly what I am doing while writing this.

3. Vaping itself has caused 0 deaths so far. What caused these 6 deaths was street THC with with who knows what else mixed in.

4. You will never hear the end of your overlords lying about it, of course, because killing the vaping industry is the best way to keep big tobacco, big pharma and big tax satisfied. The fact that vaping is saving many smokers doesn't matter to them.
Will you be serious? So the battery isn't combustible? Vape isn't a singular device though the Juul design is becoming a common design, even Blu which was the first of the major modern eCigs switch to a comparable design to the Juul. Some batteries blow for the same reason a cell phone or other batteries do, overheating. So vape do combust.

Vape may not be tobacco but that point is splitting hairs and you know it. Claiming it is only nicotine is like saying the Patriots only beat the Steelers by 20... Nicotine is the addictive part of tobacco, even if it is used for ways to stop smoking.

We cannot say what was in the vape of these dying vapers. We may quite frankly never know a link. My best guess: cheap product, fakes or they added something that was dangerous... It is just as possible that vaping too much as a teenager could cause nicotine poisoning. We just don't know.

I laugh at this notion that Bug Tobacco is going to crush vape. It is actually quite the contrary.. Big tobacco has moved into vape due to the declining cigarette market. Blu is owned by Imperial Brands, the fourth largest tobacco company today. Vuse is RJR's version. July is owned by Altaria, the former Phillip Morris. You are fooling yourself if you think Big Tobacco are spreading this to end vape. Why kill the cash cow?

Old 09-12-2019, 12:00 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Will you be serious? So the battery isn't combustible? Vape isn't a singular device though the Juul design is becoming a common design, even Blu which was the first of the major modern eCigs switch to a comparable design to the Juul. Some batteries blow for the same reason a cell phone or other batteries do, overheating. So vape do combust.

Vape may not be tobacco but that point is splitting hairs and you know it. Claiming it is only nicotine is like saying the Patriots only beat the Steelers by 20... Nicotine is the addictive part of tobacco, even if it is used for ways to stop smoking.

We cannot say what was in the vape of these dying vapers. We may quite frankly never know a link. My best guess: cheap product, fakes or they added something that was dangerous... It is just as possible that vaping too much as a teenager could cause nicotine poisoning. We just don't know.

I laugh at this notion that Bug Tobacco is going to crush vape. It is actually quite the contrary.. Big tobacco has moved into vape due to the declining cigarette market. Blu is owned by Imperial Brands, the fourth largest tobacco company today. Vuse is RJR's version. July is owned by Altaria, the former Phillip Morris. You are fooling yourself if you think Big Tobacco are spreading this to end vape. Why kill the cash cow?
You don't understand combustion, unless you consider boiling an egg the same as setting it on fire. Sure batteries fail, just like they do in cell phones. However chances are had that happened, we'd kind of know about it, and it can't happen for too long, because once a battery is on fire, pressing the button to deliver vape isn't going to achieve anything. Further the tank and battery are separate compartments, so sucking on your vape drip tip while the battery is on fire isn't going to expose you much more than just being in its vicinity to battery combustion products. Presuming of course that the user ignores the minor issue that the battery is on FIRE.

No it's not like saying the Patriots by 20, it's like saying the Yankees beat the Lakers by 9 runs.

Nicotine may be addictive, but is no more harmful than caffeine. 99.9% of the issues in smoking are the combustion products, the 0.1% is people with cardiovascular issues which are adversely affected by the increase in heart rate and BP caused by nicotine. An issue also present in your morning cup of leaded Joe.

Nicotine poisoning is an acute issue, it doesn't have a long enough biological half life to cause long term issues and accumulation.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:53 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
Vaping itself has caused 0 deaths so far. What caused these 6 deaths was street THC with with who knows what else mixed in.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!

This agenda of vaping bad is nothing but garbage. Recently we've seen a large increase so the question is why now? What's different?

Not nicotine vaping either. So why one and not the other? Improperly distilled essential oils?

Vitamin E oil in black market THC cartridge manufacturers. A thickening agent for vaporizing used in THC vaping and not nicotine vaping. if you add undistilled essential oils as well as or any other type of oil to the mixture you get trouble. It needs to be distilled. Some are saying don't use vitamin E at all as it's a topical and not to be inhaled.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 09-12-2019 at 01:02 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 12:58 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Thousand of gun deaths, but extremely strong lobbying effort by gun industry = Trump won’t touch with ten foot pole.

Six deaths by vaping but a minuscule lobbying effort by the vaping industry = Trump is all over it.

What a brave leader Trump is.
It's all about the big tobacco lobby. Trump doesn't do anything that is not about big money.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:14 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That is one theory that the Vitamin E oil used to 'thicken' the vape....is causing the damage.

But nothing has been proven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Or it's an allergic reaction caused by PG/VG, or flavoring.

If you expose 10M people to normally benign substances a few hundred having allergic reactions is to be expected.

That said, I'm still not even convinced it's an issue with PG/VG, flavorings and nicotine, because the only place these issues have surfaced in any numbers to be above background noise is the US. There's no similar issues emerging anywhere else.

"It’s also possible for chemists to create tocopherols without using plant matter. It’s commonly synthesized in three steps, using toxic petroleum-derived precursor chemicals—most significantly trimethylhydroquinone.

Hydroquinone is a controversial compound sold in the United States as a topical skin lightening agent. It’s used to get rid of dark spots or discolorations. The European Union has banned hydroquinone because of its potential carcinogenic effects. The FDA has expressed concern over the use of the compound but so far has not limited its sale in the United States. Inhaling residual hydroquinone aerosol from a cheap vitamin E oil would be problematic."

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/v...-oil-explained

Old 09-12-2019, 01:29 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
A product that people use to stop smoking all together isn't a cash cow...

* Vaping and E-cigs are one of the biggest market interrupters of recent history. There is a huge drop in sales of tobacco products.

* Cigarettes are far more addicting and has evolved to contain more addicting substances over the decades. They are specifically designed to keep customers coming back for a lifetime.

https://truthinitiative.org/research...more-addictive

The cash cow isn't vaping as many people use it as a vehicle to actually quit. Once the user quits there's no more profiting from that individual.

* e-juice manufacturing is a relatively low entry point. It is relatively simple to manufacture and requires little capital to get started. There are many individuals that create their own formulas of e-juice at home. This has resulted in 100s of small operations (I struggle to consider them as businesses) that sell e-juice. Tobacco companies may buy a stake and control the delivery systems but they know they cannot control the consumable portion of vaping.

Cigarettes have been around for decades and the vast majority of the consumable portion of smoking is controlled by a few of the big players of Big tobacco.

* They want to ban flavored vapes.. but not tobacco flavored? Hmmm..????

What we are witnessing here is essentially an industry's early move to buy out its competitors for greater control/influence over the industry that competes with it. This isn't a new strategy in business....

Old 09-12-2019, 02:52 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,823,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I recently quit smoking cigarettes by switching to vaping.

I started out with a high nicotine blend to assure I won't want to light a cig, and it has worked beyond my belief! I plan to gradually lessen the nicotine ratio to hopefully get to a point of why bother anymore.

There has been media hype lately demonizing vaping, right at the same time I chose to switch, so I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on the matter.

Thanks!

Vaping is like drinking water in that too much can kill you.

Vaping has been proven safe for years. So what has happened recently to cause differences in the vaping community, up to and including death? First off, I think the greater push toward cloud chasing products including higher voltage mods especially specialty temperature control metals in coils and the more elaborate coils and coil building with these specialty metals and a combination of different alloys in a specific coil are suspect. Finally we should consider the most recent nearly nationwide availability of CBD oils, including those with THC as a possibility as being a part of the problem, although I think that part is further down the list of culprits.

Let's take these one at a time. You want to quit smoking so you walk into your local or nearby vape shop. While in there they MAY point you toward a simple starter kit, and probably even have similar units your can demo in their shop. Now while these may seem ok, you also notice that none of the folks in that shop are vaping those. They are vaping more advanced mods with a RBA (either a RDA, RTA or RDTA combo) atomizers and most have advanced coils. You sit there and see what you're putting out on your starter kit, then see them on their cloud chasing mods and atomizers, knowing you're definitely planning to quit, and the next thing you know, you have an advanced mod, and hopefully an atomizer that takes pre-built coils, but even with those there are Kanthal, NiChrome, Stainless Steel, Nickel, and Titanium wire and your advanced mod will likely have advanced settings for these coils except for maybe the Titanium.

To start off, I would NEVER use NiChrome or Nickel as both contain nickel and it off gasses at a fairly low temperature. Deadly gasses are the product of that off gassing. It is why nickel is prohibited in ALL cooking pots, pans, etc. That means if you select the wrong temperature control setting (TC) for NiCh or Ni or maybe even have your mod set to wattage mode even though you have an advanced metal coil. Do you KNOW the difference? If not, stick to a starter kit.

Then there are the specialty competition coils which use multiple metals in the coil building process. I recommend you stay away from these.

Then there is the wick material used. People experiment but I recommend sticking with the tried and true products.

Now for the mixture of VG/PG. Stick with a VG max blend as it will give the best results regardless of the mod or coil setup you have.

Then there is the nicotine amount. The best bet is to go with the lowest nicotine level you can while still getting results from having nicotine introduced into your system. One way to know you've got the nic level too high is if each puff makes you cough. A lower nic level will remove that reaction, just like an unfiltered Camel will make you cough but a medium, mild or ultralight filtered cigarette won't. That's just common sense, or at least it is to me.

My best guess is the recent deaths have come from newer vapers or people experimenting with settings and coil builds they don't know or understand. Vaping has a 15 year track record of being safe... certainly far safer than smoking. To be perfectly honest, I would not out it past the tobacco industry to be using lobbying to push incidents where they know the vaper had little to no experience, using advanced vaping, just to get the FDA to regulate the vaping market with draconian regulation measures because vaping is cutting into their profits.

But then again, the above is just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Last edited by KS_Referee; 09-12-2019 at 03:13 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 02:54 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Obviously you all need to offer your expert services to the federal govt/health organizations because you all seem to have all the facts.

While health officials have confirmed there is not 'one product' and they have not identified one common factor yet....you all have diagnosed the cause of the illnesses/deaths....get in there. They need you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies