Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 08:44 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,377,353 times

Advertisements

we live in the land of sensationalized freakout and Cancel Culture dominates.

the fact is 6 or 7 people have died very recently. vaping has been around for nearly a decade.

We are talking about how we can end this entire industry.
we aren't talking about what changed?
What are the commonalities between the vape used by those who died or have gotten sick.

we aren't talking about why now? why not 5 years ago?

it seems to me we are more interested in freaking out and canceling some group we decide are just evil.

all the while, the big tobacco companies are pushing cancer sticks into the hands of millions of people who are dying at a rate of hundreds of thousands every year...

the law of proportionality needs to be applied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If Nicotine is only addicting, then what exactly in tobacco causes the cancers? Have we figured out what exactly causes the cancers related to tobacco use? I'm not asking for saying you're wrong but clarification.
Yes we did that decades ago.

Cancer causing agents in tobacco are predominantly polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons [PAH] (benzene and derivatives), tobacco specific nitrosamines [TSNA], various aldehydes like Formaldehyde, Arsenic, Nickle, hexavalent Chromium, Cadmium, Lead. Obviously quantities of these and relative ratios vary because of the botanical nature of tobacco.

You're falling into the fallacy that the drug is the primary risk, in fact the delivery mechanism of the drug is the primary risk.

There is no combustion in vape. There's a heating coil, that's it, there is no oxidation that drives the operation. Now does that mean that the content of the tank is solely evaporated, no I cannot say that it's only evaporated, there may be slight thermal breakdown of the components of the liquid, however, as a substitute for tobacco it's an entirely different ball park, one is like sucking on a car exhaust, the other walking by the side of the road.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:56 AM

42,841 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The manufacturers of vapes have been very good at suggesting that the 'deaths' and illnesses are all related to the 'illegal' vapes....but that's not necessarily FACT.......

There is no common factor YET but some theories. Just remember to not fall victim to the 'rumors' the manufacturers will put out there to justify selling their product.
Vaping has been around for what, 12-15 years? There have never been any significant numbers of illnesses, now in the matter of a few weeks there are hundreds of sick people and 6 deaths and most if not all are linked to vaping THC? Vaping consists of 3 components, nicotine, vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol - both of the latter have been used without harm in nebulizers for decades.

There are tougher regulations on vaping in Europe and zero reports of illness or death. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e...andmark-review

Old 09-12-2019, 09:06 AM

42,841 posts, read 26,253,950 times
When I hear about attempts to ban or limit vaping I wonder if the patents that Phillip Morris has filed for vaping devices and marijuana vape pens & their new "heat not burn" cigarettes plays into this.
Quote:
On Tuesday, the FDA announced that limited sales of the heat-not-burn tobacco device IQOS would be allowed, though with strict marketing restrictions designed to prevent uptake by children and teens. The products authorized for sale will be sold by Philip Morris International (PMI) through an exclusive license with Altria Group. They include IQOS, Marlboro Heatsticks, Marlboro Smooth Menthol Heatsticks, and Marlboro Fresh Menthol Heatsticks. https://www.medpagetoday.com/primarycare/smoking/79555
Quote:
Altria, the parent company of tobacco giant Philip Morris whose $1.8 billion investment in a cannabis company was announced Friday, has over the past five years quietly patented dozens of devices that could be used to consume marijuana, a review of public documents at the US Patent and Trademark Office shows. https://www.leafly.com/news/industry...uana-vape-pens

Old 09-12-2019, 09:57 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Vaping has been around for what, 12-15 years? There have never been any significant numbers of illnesses, now in the matter of a few weeks there are hundreds of sick people and 6 deaths and most if not all are linked to vaping THC? Vaping consists of 3 components, nicotine, vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol - both of the latter have been used without harm in nebulizers for decades.

There are tougher regulations on vaping in Europe and zero reports of illness or death. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e...andmark-review
I think it's the cheaper newer cartridge type vapes that are the problem as they suffer from contaminants sometimes.

The volcano (dry herb vape) came out for vaping weed in 2000 and I've used that for many years with zero problems.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:59 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

Yeah, but my lungs & nose don't want it. So any place that is "smoke free", also means that it's vape free as well.
Smoke free isn't everywhere. You might have it indoors but you will still have to experience it outdoors. I wish more would vape. It'd be a lot safer.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:04 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!

This agenda of vaping bad is nothing but garbage. Recently we've seen a large increase so the question is why now? What's different?

Not nicotine vaping either. So why one and not the other? Improperly distilled essential oils?

Vitamin E oil in black market THC cartridge manufacturers. A thickening agent for vaporizing used in THC vaping and not nicotine vaping. if you add undistilled essential oils as well as or any other type of oil to the mixture you get trouble. It needs to be distilled. Some are saying don't use vitamin E at all as it's a topical and not to be inhaled.
You never vape oil. No vape liquid sold by a reputable manufacturer contains any oil distilled or not. They contain PG (not an oil) VG (not an oil) Nicotine (not an oil) and flavoring that is not oil based.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:13 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

Yeah, real viable. Why not just try nicotine gum?

If not go old school with the user friendly kind.
https://www.oldtimecandy.com/collect...ndy-cigarettes

That's the marketing BS the companies tell these people.

On the outside it may be "safer", but this leads people to smoke more than they would regular cigarettes.

Yeah, but my lungs & nose don't want it. So any place that is "smoke free", also means that it's vape free as well.

Probably not, but they're smoking more than you are.
I vape all day, seriously all day unless I am somewhere that doesn't allow it.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:16 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Nicotine is a terrible addictive substance.

I do vape with weed though. Much better and less addictive substance.
The weed ones are what's killing people if they have Vitamin E in it. There are so many counterfeit ones out there and even the ones from the store you don't know what's in them. The regs are way too loose.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:19 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I think it's the cheaper newer cartridge type vapes that are the problem as they suffer from contaminants sometimes.

The volcano (dry herb vape) came out for vaping weed in 2000 and I've used that for many years with zero problems.
That's completely different. The problem is there is no FDA regulations on the THC oil so you never know what's in it or not. Then you have the counterfeit and homemade ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies