Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 10:22 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post

Diversity and racism is like oil and water. Racism poisons the well of diversity.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 10-10-2019 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 10:34 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This is what I got from the link too lol.

FWIW to the OP and those who agree with the participants in this study (I'd also be interested in actually reading the study versus a media summary with a skewed opinion - don't want to register with the website though to view it) they need to go back to whatever European country the majority of their ancestors are from. I think that the indigenous population of America also doesn't socially trust or like you being here .

From the link within the link it showed that the study was about "social trust" and not really about diversity and it being a strength. Most people who have an issue with people not like them are prejudiced people and just don't like "others" around because they don't see those "others" as people.
I notice that the persons who agree with this the most are descended from those who came here from somewhere else.

As for social trust, I think about this. I have plenty of experience with being the person who never fit in. Social trust has a different meaning to me. I've learned that I could be taken advantage of anyone. Just because someone looks like me doesn't mean I trust them more. I've ran into plenty of people I couldn't trust, regardless of race. That affects my social trust.

As for prejudice, I've experienced prejudice from people who don't look like me, and some that did look like me. And thing about prejudice, some people will look for any reason to justify it.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:44 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
And while on the subject of social trust, the Pew Research Center has a poll for this. It's a very dated poll (2007), but it could provide some insight to who is more trusting vs who is less trusting, and why.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2007...where-and-why/

Old 10-10-2019, 10:49 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Of course diversity is NOT a strength. Look at the Balkan region of Europe as proof. The most socially healthy societies are very NON-diverse: Japan, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Denmark, etc. Diversity inevitably leads to conflict.

There is one caveat: diversity certainly DOES strengthen aristocratic elites, since diversity keeps the common folk fighting against themselves based on racial and cultural differences.

The “Diversity is our Strength” meme is nothing more than a slogan pushed by those who are likely to benefit from a working class divided against itself.
I wouldn't qualify Japan as being a very socially healthy place. By all accounts socially Japan can be a very miserable place and its sky high suicide rate would lend credence to that.

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Denmark are socially healthy places but this has more to do with the fact that the governments in those nations actually looks after and take care of its people. The residence in those nations are economically far more equal and society is much more equal. They get access to healthcare, lots of time off, etc.

North Korea, Belarus, Saudi Arabia, Haiti and Bangladesh are very NON-diverse countries. None of those nations seem very healthy to me. Having a high degree of homogeneity doesn't equal a socially healthy nation.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:56 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I wouldn't qualify Japan as being a very socially healthy place. By all accounts socially Japan can be a very miserable place and its sky high suicide rate would lend credence to that.

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Denmark are socially healthy places but this has more to do with the fact that the governments in those nations actually looks after and take care of its people. The residence in those nations are economically far more equal and society is much more equal. They get access to healthcare, lots of time off, etc.

North Korea, Belarus, Saudi Arabia, Haiti and Bangladesh are very NON-diverse countries. None of those nations seem very healthy to me. Having a high degree of homogeneity doesn't equal a socially healthy nation.
It’s true that a homogeneous society doesn’t guarantee a healthy society. But there aren’t many diverse societies that are healthy.

I’m not advocating genocide. The USA is a diverse place and will continue to be so. I just hope that “we the 99.9%” can unite against our 0.1% oppressors regardless of our skin color, religion, and culture. Based on current trends, however, I am not optimistic. The USA will probably become like Brazil and South Africa: highly diverse, highly corrupt, and highly unequal.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:03 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,879 times
I don't think diversity is the problem that needs to be addressed. It's the lack of trust that's the problem.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:05 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times
Quote:
It’s true that a homogeneous society doesn’t guarantee a healthy society. But there aren’t many diverse societies that are healthy.

I’m not advocating genocide. The USA is a diverse place and will continue to be so. I just hope that “we the 99.9%” can unite against our 0.1% oppressors regardless of our skin color, religion, and culture. Based on current trends, however, I am not optimistic. The USA will probably become like Brazil and South Africa: highly diverse, highly corrupt, and highly unequal.
If there is a kind of homogeneous society I do with to promote its of one of the economic nature. Want to reduce corruption and inequality? Lets tackle the the elephant in the room, the emergence of neo-feudalist society where 0.1% of the population essentially owns and controls the vast majority of earths resources and wealth.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:15 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Of course diversity is NOT a strength. Look at the Balkan region of Europe as proof. The most socially healthy societies are very NON-diverse: Japan, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Denmark, etc. Diversity inevitably leads to conflict.

There is one caveat: diversity certainly DOES strengthen aristocratic elites, since diversity keeps the common folk fighting against themselves based on racial and cultural differences.

The “Diversity is our Strength” meme is nothing more than a slogan pushed by those who are likely to benefit from a working class divided against itself.
All so true. My wife grew up in a small town in Michigan that was 95% white and Polish. There was little crime and a sense of belonging. There were no cultural clashes. It was very peaceful but not boring according to her. Diversity is our strength is a myth when it comes to cultural differences. Racial mixing can make us stronger genetically but that's about it.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:17 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post

Wow, thanks for that information ! We better send your ancestors back to wherever they came from because of this shocking news.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:19 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,239,391 times
I don't understand the point of this thread. It does not pertain to the United States as all. Even the White Population in the USA does not apply to this paper.

White folk in the USA are not ethnically the same or come from similar backgrounds for starters. Italians, Germans, Norwegian, Swiss, Spanish (Spain), Portuguese, and Italians among others are not all the same ethnically.

Additionally the USA is different than the study cited because there is no "FORCED" diversity. You can live in the whitest part of the country with no black or Hispanic people for 100 miles if you like. Or you can move to NYC and live in a Global community. Heck you can live in most suburbs and just don't talk to "Others" as well, no one forcing your hand.

If seeing another Ethnic group triggers you, then you need to get your head checked.

I don't know why all White folk want to be lumped into the same pot anyway, Hispanic and black populations are going to opposite way and don't want all the lumping in. Most just want to be seen individually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies