Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
Not for nothing, you sound like someone who has lived a very sheltered life.
Not quite, I've lived in the inner city by choice for 6 years now, and have worked construction and now a truck driver, both industries are majority Hispanic around here, and have worked with ex cons in both industries. I don't consider that sheltered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Really. Why would you immediately talk about someone Latino as "Mexican". I know some Latinos that would jump you for saying that to their face.
The vast majority of Latinos here are Mexican American. There are a few Salvadorans and Guatemalans, but not enough to make a difference. And no one has ever had a problem with that here

Old 10-10-2019, 08:59 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The vast majority of Latinos here are Mexican American. There are a few Salvadorans and Guatemalans, but not enough to make a difference. And no one has ever had a problem with that here
Just from your perspective (African-American here who has never been to Phoenix), how to African-Americans get along relative to the rest of the population in Phoenix?

Old 10-10-2019, 09:06 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Shocker! Racists don't like foreigners -- who knew?
This is what I got from the link too lol.

FWIW to the OP and those who agree with the participants in this study (I'd also be interested in actually reading the study versus a media summary with a skewed opinion - don't want to register with the website though to view it) they need to go back to whatever European country the majority of their ancestors are from. I think that the indigenous population of America also doesn't socially trust or like you being here .

From the link within the link it showed that the study was about "social trust" and not really about diversity and it being a strength. Most people who have an issue with people not like them are prejudiced people and just don't like "others" around because they don't see those "others" as people.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
Why do liberals always need a study for what the rest of us know as common sense from exposure to life and life experiences?
I am going to say this, not as a liberal or conservative, but from my own experience. This has been my life experience. I'm someone who has had alot of issues fitting in. I don't see diversity as a weakness or a strength. From my own experience, homogeneity doesn't always mean squat either. I went to a predominantly White high school (about 80% White). I caught alot of crap from both Whites and Blacks. I had a hard time fitting in with many of the Black students because I was "lame" and "nerdy". I was the Black kid who "wasn't Black enough". Some of the White kids bullied me as well, and some were flat out racist towards me. I learned that "being around your own kind" won't stop you from having problems. My lesson was that I sought out whomever would accept me, regardless of race. That peer reviewed paper doesn't take into account things I've been through. And what you have been through isn't the same as what I've been through.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Just from your perspective (African-American here who has never been to Phoenix), how to African-Americans get along relative to the rest of the population in Phoenix?
It used to be bad until about the 70s (before my time), there was red lining here, so almost all the African American population here used to live in South Phoenix. Scottsdale PD would pull people over for DWB (Driving While Black) and had areas that were unofficially called NNZ's (No N-word Zones).

Since I've lived here and red lining ended, things are much better. South Phoenix is now majority hispanic, and African Americans live throughout the metro area now. I actually see them get less discrimination than Latinos receive around here these days

Old 10-10-2019, 10:07 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I shall explain for those of you that do not keep up with the news.

Japan has long prevented immigration to their islands. However, the birth rate in Japan has fallen markedly over the years:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/08/asia/...cli/index.html

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...rnment-survey/

Recall, Japan was an ally with Hitler's Germany. Japan wanted to keep their blood pure.

Japan now has a crises. The old people markedly out number the young, and the birthrate has fallen to historic levels.

Japan's system for care of the elderly is being devastated by this fact.

Immigrants (as we know here in the United States) bring fresh blood to the table, fresh talent, fresh beginnings. Oh, and they are usually younger, and pay taxes.

Trump is a nitwit.
You are misinformed. There is no crisis of demographics in Japan. Residents of the country, including myself, continue to enjoy an increasingly comfortable standard of living. And that should continue going forward as medical advances make older people more productive and robots and AI do more of he heavy lifting to power the economy.

Japan is about 2% non-Japanese today. If Japan wanted to "solve" it's declining population issue by importing huge numbers of immigrants and replacing it's own people, it could easily do so. Tens of millions of the world's poor would gladly move there to improve their standard of living. But Japan chooses not to go down this road.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It used to be bad until about the 70s (before my time), there was red lining here, so almost all the African American population here used to live in South Phoenix. Scottsdale PD would pull people over for DWB (Driving While Black) and had areas that were unofficially called NNZ's (No N-word Zones).

Since I've lived here and red lining ended, things are much better. South Phoenix is now majority hispanic, and African Americans live throughout the metro area now. I actually see them get less discrimination than Latinos receive around here these days
I heard it was bad up to that decade. I think about this. Places where other groups have done alright, Blacks have not. I've heard that there is a migration of Blacks going to Phoenix. Not a large one, but one nonetheless. I'm the type of persons that likes being cool with everyone.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I heard it was bad up to that decade. I think about this. Places where other groups have done alright, Blacks have not. I've heard that there is a migration of Blacks going to Phoenix. Not a large one, but one nonetheless. I'm the type of persons that likes being cool with everyone.
Quite a few African Americans have moved here in the recent decade from Louisiana and Texas after Katrina, Ike, and Harvey did their damage

Old 10-10-2019, 10:21 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Of course diversity is NOT a strength. Look at the Balkan region of Europe as proof. The most socially healthy societies are very NON-diverse: Japan, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Denmark, etc. Diversity inevitably leads to conflict.

There is one caveat: diversity certainly DOES strengthen aristocratic elites, since diversity keeps the common folk fighting against themselves based on racial and cultural differences.

The “Diversity is our Strength” meme is nothing more than a slogan pushed by those who are likely to benefit from a working class divided against itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies