Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times

Advertisements

Well, anytime the phrase "shoved down our throats" appears within an article about diversity, you can know right there this isn't going to be an academic discussion to thoughtfully discuss the issue.

Secondly, the article notes that diversity breeds "distrust" but doesn't go on to say diversity isn't, overall, a very healthy thing.

If you're a farmer you know diversity isn't only positive, it's absolutely essential to survival.

Just because one group doesn't trust the other group as much as they trust members of their own community, that doesn't mean it's a complete negative.

And um, sorry to shove that down your throat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 04:07 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Of course you believe Volobjectarian is full of it, Blue loyalist.

You run the forced association wing of the government for the most part. You don't want to admit you have that power nor do you want to give it up. Megalomania is one strong mentality to break.

Red only wants to run it, not end it, so they are no better but don't let it go to your head.
You say that like it's a problem? You don't want forced association, go live in the woods. No one will bother you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Economically successful societies attract immigrants, and may become "diverse". But the belief that diversity, as an initial condition, leads to economic success, is entirely unsupported.
Nah. Studies show immigrants are more likely to start businesses than native-born. Studies show immigrants are more likely to be high academic achievers (that goes for Black & Brown immigrants) than native-born. Studies show immigrants are help grow and expand economic zones ie YOU aren't opening up a laundromat in a shady area.

So yeah... immigrants CONTRIBUTE and LEAD to economic success and growth. I haven't looked at it, but I'd put $ on a high correlation between economic growth and immigration policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Is that all you care about? The economy? Is that all we are at the end of the day...just part of a big economic machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
You remind me of the people on the below thread in the Economics forum who are all about letting in more immigrants because they want MOAR "economic growth"

//www.city-data.com/forum/econo...nomy-will.html
Wow... based on the you two, it looks like we found the one thing that trumps Conservative worship of profit: the glory of living out your racist utopia. That's amazing.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:12 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
*knows that steel is made by REMOVING impurities and LOWERING the carbon content of iron, thus PURIFYING the metal*

*realizes Eddie doesn't know much about refining.*

Iron - diversity = steel
So you know where we can find naturally-occurring steel ore? B/c your point was that changing the natural version of things invariably weakens it... So you must know a place where you can find iron ore at that ratio w/ carbon that we normally have to create for steel...

Old 10-10-2019, 04:13 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I am in favor of segregation. I am non-white. I have seen no positive benefits long-term in forcing people to get along in situations where they are in constant pressure to bend and blend against their nature just to fit in with others very much unlike themselves. For example, white men and black women are the least likely to get along and this is very obvious in our world, yet there is the ongoing pressure from society for these two very opposite groups to meet at some sort of common ground when that should not be necessary for either side to succeed in life.

I am not in favor of killing people just because they are non-white, or those in positions of authority claiming that a someone appears to be threatening in some way just for being non-white. I am not in favor of people being turned away from restaurants, hotels, and bathroom because they are non-white.

I am in favor people of those who genuinely want integration to work out. I am also in favor of those living in their own communities making their own communities and people better off. But of course, that never happens in the real world because many of those who claim to want integration are the first to become angered when integration doesn't work for them, and those who claim to want segregation become highly upset when people self-segregate.
I'm not in favor of segregation. At least, I'm not in favor of bringing segregation back. When it comes to people being together, this is what I've dealt with. I have struggled to fit in, in many aspects. I never thought "I want to be around my own kind". I could hang with anyone so long as they treated my right and I could relate to them. And I had my issues. Growing up a nerdy, bookish Black kid in a predominantly White (and in some cases, kind of redneck-ish) suburb 45 minutes from Atlanta, I could bring up many things I dealt with. Being around my own kind wouldn't have necessarily solved those problems. I caught flack from some of the White kids, some of it was racially motivated. And them I had trouble relating some of the Black kids (my high school was 80% White, 15-18% Black. In addition to middle class subdivisions, my high school drew from some working class and poor areas). I wasn't "Black enough" or I was "lame" or "weird". And when some White kids describe you as "you talk White", well, you can draw your own conclusions from that.

Basically, I had issues with fitting. And because I was someone who didn't do any of that self-segregation, because I wasn't about "you're Black, you sit with the Black kids", I sought out whomever would love and respect me. My sister had her own problems. Black girls made fun of her because she wasn't "ghetto" or she "talked like a white girl". For individuals like me and my sister, we just had to find wherever we could fit in.

Now, as for stuff like restrooms, schools, restaurants, housing,etc, I'm glad that Jim Crow is over. I like being able to live wherever I want and go wherever I want. Same access for everyone.

I don't run away from integration. I have no reason to.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:21 PM

8,342 posts, read 2,967,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, anytime the phrase "shoved down our throats" appears within an article about diversity, you can know right there this isn't going to be an academic discussion to thoughtfully discuss the issue.

Secondly, the article notes that diversity breeds "distrust" but doesn't go on to say diversity isn't, overall, a very healthy thing.

If you're a farmer you know diversity isn't only positive, it's absolutely essential to survival.

Just because one group doesn't trust the other group as much as they trust members of their own community, that doesn't mean it's a complete negative.

And um, sorry to shove that down your throat.
Yes. It’s an academic discussion from the diversity is the only way, homogeneity is racist side. It’s a common sense, logic and facts discussion from the diversity if you like, homogeneity if you like side.

Plenty of farming communities in the U.S. and elsewhere operating just fine without diversity.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:25 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Same wagon you’re circling. I said specifically. Which diverse societies produced which better art, science, literature, cuisine, music, sports, etc. than which homogeneous society? Which inventions, medicines, technologies, languages? Which diverse governments produced better programs, systems, schools than which homogeneous societies.

Can you even name one?!
Well what music from a homogeneous society do you listen to? Almost every form of music around is from a diverse society or was influenced by a diverse society. Swedish Black Metal? even that wouldn't exist if Brits didn't invent heavy metal. Which would not have happened if Americans did not invent rock and roll. Which would never have happened if African Americans did not start using European instruments to play the blues which has origins in Africa. Europeans would not have used the guitar if they were not introduced to the Oud by the Arabs. And so on and so on. Essentially Swedish people could not be making Black Metal if it was not for the interactions of various races, ethnicities, languages and peoples spanning hundreds of years.

Cuisine: Mexican, French, Italian, Middle Eastern, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Caribbean, American BBQ are all from diverse places. You want homogeneous food, you can eat Irish food, and even then the potato was domesticated by the Native Americans and brought over to Ireland. There is no such thing as homogeneous food only diverse food.

Sports: Diverse nations almost always do better across the board in sports then homogeneous nations. With the exception of massive differences in population size. Compare the US and Brazil in sports to Japan and Korea. Look how many great athletes come from Cuba for such a small diverse country.

Science: Cern would not be possible if not for the incredible diversity of science. 23 member nations, 16,000 scientist from 100 different nationalities. Homogeneity could never have achieved such a thing.

The US dominated science because it was not homogeneous and allowed people from around the world to come and practice science. Compare that to science in North Korea or Saudi Arabia.

You are arguing for a world that has never existed and never will.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:25 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

Quote:
Yes. It’s an academic discussion from the diversity is the only way, homogeneity is racist side. It’s a common sense, logic and facts discussion from the diversity if you like, homogeneity if you like side.

Plenty of farming communities in the U.S. and elsewhere operating just fine without diversity.
Just to be clear, the article posted is discussing a study on diversity in academia, and has posted a very very one-sided review of it.

Similar, really, to the way some fake christians quote the Bible.

The article being discussed does note that members of communities often don't trust members of other communities, but that doesn't mean it's a 100 per cent done deal that diversity is negative.

And when I'm looking for a thoughtful discussion, and see "shoved down our throats", I know I'm not going to get one. Time to move on.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Same wagon you’re circling. I said specifically. Which diverse societies produced which better art, science, literature, cuisine, music, sports, etc. than which homogeneous society? Which inventions, medicines, technologies, languages? Which diverse governments produced better programs, systems, schools than which homogeneous societies.

Can you even name one?!
I'll take the case of cuisine.

There is NOTHING like cuisine that crosses cultures. You take the best of each culture, mix it up, and you get Tex Mex. American Chinese food. American Italian food. Korean Barbecue.

Some of the most delicious food there is comes from a circle of food trucks, and it's all a mixture of cultures.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:

You have to have diversity in farming. I think we all learned that from the Irish Potato famine.

Or maybe, I guess I should say some of us learned it.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:38 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
'Diversity' has destroyed this nation. At least the form of diversity that has been shoved down America's throats the last several decades.

It's not about celebrating diversity and more about heightened animosities and tensions as each tribe is pitted against another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies