Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 06:14 PM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Immigration and diversity are obviously related but really two separate matters. There are many other threads having to do with immigration. I am definitely in favor of metering immigration in order to ensure assimilation.

But this thread is more about the impact of diversity, which I believe is mostly positive. See post #1.
Well since most immigrants coming here today are not of our culture I would say that's a diversity matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well since most immigrants coming here today are not of our culture I would say that's a diversity matter.
You're a little hard to pin down, Oldglory.

What, exactly is OUR (by that, I mean the US's culture, not your own specific family heritage) culture, and were the Chinese and Polish Immigrants "Our Culture" in the last century?

And a follow up question. We annexed Alaska and Hawaii, in the mid 1900's, were they, and are they now, "our culture"? We chose to annex them. They didn't come here looking for help, we appropriated them into our United States.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'll take the case of cuisine.

There is NOTHING like cuisine that crosses cultures. You take the best of each culture, mix it up, and you get Tex Mex. American Chinese food. American Italian food. Korean Barbecue.

Some of the most delicious food there is comes from a circle of food trucks, and it's all a mixture of cultures.
How do you think cuisines like Mexican, Cuban, Filipino, Cajun, and Spanish cuisines have the foods they have? Foods crossed cultures. Paella, a Spanish dish, is partly influenced by the Moors, which started rice cultivation in Spain. And the Spanish also influenced Cajun cuisine in Louisiana. Jambalaya is basically a variant of paella, with some African, French, and Native American influences. Cuban cuisine is a mix of Spanish and African influences. Mexican food is a mix of Indigenous and Spanish influences, and in some regions, African influence. Flipino food has local influences along with Spanish, Chinese, Malay, and Indonesian influences.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:07 PM

8,332 posts, read 2,962,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'll play

New York City=ethnically diverse=world's most powerful city and cultural mecca

North Platte, Nebraska=93% white=not exactly lighting the world on fire to put it mildly. Most people probably couldn't even point to it on a map, despite being the third biggest metro in Nebraska
NYC to many people is a hellhole they purposely avoid. Being the world’s most powerful city and cultural Mecca doesn’t make it a great place to live.

I would bet a bundle that the people of North Platte like it that most people couldn’t point it out on a map. I lived in Leona Valley, Ca. for about 16 years. It’s a small town in northern L.A. County and most people in the county have never heard of it. We liked it that way. No crime to speak of and about 95% white.

Last edited by Leona Valley; 10-10-2019 at 07:17 PM..

Old 10-10-2019, 07:08 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Idaho is calling you. Montana also...or Poland.

Or, a far out gated burb in NC or SC...somewhere. Vive La Difference.

Liberals cannot face the facts. "Diversity" weakens nations- that can be seen around the world. Those nations that are the least ethnically diverse have the best economies, lowest crime, and highest intelligence. It is not surprising that you appear to hate some parts of the US that are great places to live. Have you ever been to North Carolina? I would assume the answer is "no", as it is assuredly 10X better than the place you live with regard to higher education, quality of living, and scenery.

And no.............. a nation which has individuals from three adjacent Asian nations and a European nation that has greater than 90% white citizens from adjacent nations are not "diverse".

Look at the nations in Africa which have MULTIPLE tribes of different languages, religions, and customs if you want "diversity".

Old 10-10-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
NYC to many people is a hellhole they purposely avoid. Being the world’s most powerful city and cultural Mecca doesn’t make it a great place to live.
And for many more, it's a place to go to make a name for yourself, a place to compete. It is said "if you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere". I couldn't live there myself, but it's not the worst place you could live.

Consider this. Most people don't choose to live in North Platte,NE. You might want to consider why that is. Why do more people want to go to NYC, in spite of the difficulties of living there, and not North Platte?

Old 10-10-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post

I would bet a bundle that the people of North Platte like it that most people couldn’t point it out on a map. I lived in Leona Valley, Ca. for about 16 years. It’s a small town in northern L.A. County and most people in the county have never heard of it. We liked it that way. No crime to speak of and about 95% white.
I know plenty of places in Northern California, and not just Leona Valley. As someone who has studied geography (and it's long been my favorite subject in school), there are plenty of places this Black guy knows about. Places like Ferndale,CA;Crescent City,CA;Alturas,CA;Ontario,OR;Sun Valley,ID;Kuna,ID;etc.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:21 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Well, for those who can’t handle it, nothing is stopping you from returning to you country of origin or somewhere you feel the people are more like you.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Well, for those who can’t handle it, nothing is stopping you from returning to you country of origin or somewhere you feel the people are more like you.
Well, many people can do that. Some can't because they don't know where they come from.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How do you think cuisines like Mexican, Cuban, Filipino, Cajun, and Spanish cuisines have the foods they have? Foods crossed cultures. Paella, a Spanish dish, is partly influenced by the Moors, which started rice cultivation in Spain. And the Spanish also influenced Cajun cuisine in Louisiana. Jambalaya is basically a variant of paella, with some African, French, and Native American influences. Cuban cuisine is a mix of Spanish and African influences. Mexican food is a mix of Indigenous and Spanish influences, and in some regions, African influence. Flipino food has local influences along with Spanish, Chinese, Malay, and Indonesian influences.
Um, that's exactly what I was saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies