Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,142,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Please note that in your link an officer in that area said that that particular Kroger store has no more theft than any other stores in that area.

Which simply means that this particular Kroger, like most retailers, doesn't catch most people who steal, which means no police report, which is all the officer can speak to. Lack of arrests does not equal lack of thefts. Most retail thieves are not caught generally speaking, but that doesn't mean certain stores don't have a comparatively outsized problem with items coming up missing from inventory when counts are done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
When cases of high end Kitchen Aid mixers go missing from Kohl’s, they know someone in receiving is working with an outside partner. Most receiving areas of larger stores are under 24/7 surveillance.

Retail Loss Prevention is a fascinating field.
I agree with the bold.

FWIW I have a couple family members that work in loss prevention. One at Kroger in Ohio and one at Walmart in metro Atlanta.

For both of them they have shared, surprisingly, that the majority of thefts and losses occur at suburban stores in wealthier white areas versus poorer, more minority districts.

The one who works at Walmart used to work at Publix and I remember the store that was closest to me (which is now a Walmart) was closed and "theft" was cited as the reason but my cousin told me that it was closed because of low sale revenue and that they didn't have any more losses than the average store in metro Atlanta. They ended up opening another store not too far from that neighborhood in a new development and they made more money there and had the same rates of theft/loss.

IMO they are testing this out to try to stop shop lifting in general and did it in that particular store because it wouldn't be allowed in a nicer area and poor people are less likely to complain since they don't want to lose their neighborhood store.

Here in Ohio, I know that one of our nicer Kroger's in a suburban community built a brand new liquor/wine section and made it it's own store because of the white people there (it is about 90% white population) stealing wine lol. But it is interesting they didn't put the wine aisle in a glass box to make them feel like they were caged up in wine prison. They built a beautiful store with their own cashier and a chime/alarm that goes off when anyone enters/exits that section.

At the Walmart I shop at, which is also in a majority white area (my SIL is one of the managers of the store), the white people steal a lot of lotion, laundry pods, perfume, etc., and so they have encased cabinets with these particular items. They had my mom's perfume a few weeks ago and we had to wait about 20 minutes for the clerks to find a manager to open the glass case for us since a couple people with keys who usually worked in that area had called off.

There are a lot of other options employed to prevent theft versus creating in-store prisons for people who shop. And for those saying that the people who are stealing are complaining, you are full of yourselves. As noted, I'd not even shop there anymore. One of the things I do love about Atlanta black folks who aren't stuck in a black inferiority complex, is that they will call the media in a hot second on you when you do anything that wreaks of prejudice. I honestly feel if they keep up the pressure Kroger will remove that and just put in some glass cases like they have at almost all the stores here in Ohio.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 10-10-2019 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-10-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Which simply means that this particular Kroger, like most retailers, doesn't catch most people who steal, which means no police report, which is all the officer can speak to. Lack of arrests does not equal lack of thefts. Most retail thieves are not caught generally speaking, but that doesn't mean certain stores don't have a comparatively outsized problem with items coming up missing from inventory when counts are done.
See post above. There are other options versus putting in an enclosed jail-like area. Also I don't believe they steal more at that store. Without evidence stating as such in comparison to other stores, including nearby ones in wealthier black neighborhoods (where they would never stand for something like this) then it is just heresay IMO and it is believable by most of you folks in the thread because you all just are highly likely to think poor black people are criminals. On theft in particular, I've experienced every type of person trying to commit theft and shop lifting and fraud and most of them were not poor people and are usually well off so I never believe these statements since they are generic and are just said because the populace is highly likely to believe them based on prejudice against poor and black people.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:42 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
When I first read this, I wondered how the hell would that guy know how much theft goes on at Kroger?

That so any keep repeating it as gospel is a sad commentary on the ability to think and reason.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The Manager wasn't even quoted or cited in any way. How is he racist?
Because he/she agreed to put in the store in a majority black and lower income area. The action in an of itself implies that the population of the store itself is inferior to other shoppers so require a different "handling" in regards to the methods to prevent so-called theft.

And FWIW I bet the manager wasn't the one who made the ultimate decision, but IMO he/she should have advised against it. Something like that being put up in metro Atlanta in a black, poorer neighborhood automatically will make the news and paint them as being racist. That is the way it is in Atlanta. The manager going along with it IMO is racist by association.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:45 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Many stores do monthly inventories with teams who come in at night. It is likely that Kroger's knows exactly how much of each type of item is missing every month.

Why would they go to all the trouble and expense of putting certain items in a more secure situation if it was the same at all the stores?

Old 10-10-2019, 09:48 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Many Big Cities now have Policies where Police do not even respond to minor complaints such as shoplifting unless it's over $900.

No prosecution, no jail time.

So these stores are on their own to prevent the loss.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:55 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I know some who live in Kenosha, Wisconsin area who commute 50 + miles to a variety of Costco’s in Illinois and start work at 4:00 AM, 6 hours before opening. They know the receiving area and parking lot are under surveillance.

I also know some who commute daily from Illinois to Wisconsin for annual seasonal work at the Amazon warehouses. Talk about security.

Big businesses like Kroger and Walmart don’t invest in caging products vulnerable to shoplifting unless they know how much unpaid for inventory is moving out the front door.

Professional shoplifters are highly mobile.

I choose to not make racial or ethnic assumptions about people.
BS on the travelling 50+ miles each way for a minimum wage job. Plus, I never mentioned race or ethnicity in any of my posts in this thread. You're making assumptions which actually point to YOU being a racist.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In this instance, that manager at Kroger is racist IMO.

FWIW I lived in metro Atlanta for nearly 20 years. I've been to that store. Atlanta in particular in a pretty racist area and it was one of the reasons I wanted to leave the metro and FWIW it is not always white against black racism since I know you are sensitive lol. IMO most of the racists in Atlanta were black people who were racist against other black people - they have embraced a white supremacy sort of mindset and they impart it on the black population there. It actually wouldn't surprise me if the manager who made this decision was black.

I'd never shop at that store again. I stopped going to one in the West End in the City of Atlanta (on Ralph David Abernathy Blvd) because once I went there and there were 2 lines open full of people, mostly older black people because it was around 10-11am. There was some even going on at one of the arenas downtown that day and there was a white woman in line in front of me with her 2 daughters. When one of the assistant managers saw her, she opened another line and invited the white woman to come over to buy some sodas and chips they had in their hands. When she opened the line, I got behind the white woman/girls. The assistant manager was super sweet to them and asked where they were going and thanked them for shopping and watched them walk away. Then she turned to me (this was a black woman BTW) and said "this line closed!" And she closed the line. I asked her why she opened it up for the white woman/girls. And she said "because they had somewhere to go." I told her everyone in the dam store has somewhere to go and she only did that to impress the white woman because she was racist against her own people. She got, understandably upset about it. I asked for a manager. She said she was a manager. I told her I could read and it said "asssitant manager" on her vest and for her to get XYZ manager's name (his picture and name was on the wall) so I could speak to him about her horrible, prejudiced customer service to customers who come to that store frequently. She called security on me. I left and wrote to Kroger corporate office (I'm from Ohio BTW and know that Kroger actually does have great corporate customer service - theya re based in Ohio). The corporate office got back to me within 2 days. They gave me a $50 credit for my groceries. I also met with the manager and he fired the woman who did that as they reviewed the tape in the store and verified what I said was true and he apologized to me.

So Kroger as a corporation is not "racist" but they do hire racist people who do stupid s**t at the stores, like cage in black people in certain aisle.

Please note that in your link an officer in that area said that that particular Kroger store has no more theft than any other stores in that area.
Not likely the store GM made the decision to cage inventory most vulnerable to shoplifting. It’s a corporate pilot operation being installed in some stores, likely the stores that experience the most shrinkage.

Shoplifting is likely one of the most underreported crimes. It’s the rare shoplifter who is caught in the act. When a store has 127 cans of baby formula on the shelf at opening and 52 remain at closing, receipts should show 75 sales, right? When receipts show only 42 sales, it’s obvious 33 units were lifted.

Shoplifting is not an insurable risk so there is no Police Report unless a shoplifter is caught in the act.

Local Police don't know what they don’t know. Know what I mean?

This is an interesting ( to me) article about getting to the root causes of shrinkage.

https://cb4.com/blog/grocery-shrinkage-in-retail/

Old 10-10-2019, 10:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
BS on the travelling 50+ miles each way for a minimum wage job. Plus, I never mentioned race or ethnicity in any of my posts in this thread. You're making assumptions which actually point to YOU being a racist.
Why assume these are minimum wage jobs?

An experienced receiver/ fork lifter at Costco in my neck of the woods may be making $25-37/hr, depending on day of week. This puts them in the middle economic class. Sure beats working for $7.25/ hr in Wisconsin.

One does not need to mention race/ ethnicity to assume/ imply such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies