Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 04:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times

Advertisements

The Police Association has issued a statement. I guess the cop now knows what the underside of a bus looks like.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...7-fff6e3690f5d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 04:31 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Maybe in these "boom towns" the unemployment rate is low and its hard to really find quality people who want to do police work. I mean.....it is a tough job and it does get a bad rap. Why would you want such a job if there are thousands of other jobs you can have? There is a certain personality type, I believe, that are attracted to policing....and its sometimes not a good personality trait for policing.

I think police should be paid more, especially in big cities with high crime rates, and put through greater filters for service.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:41 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,464,776 times
I don't know details. Did the police officer follow protocol in doing a welfare check? Was Atatiana Jefferson pointing a gun at the officer?

Old 10-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Maybe in these "boom towns" the unemployment rate is low and its hard to really find quality people who want to do police work. I mean.....it is a tough job and it does get a bad rap. Why would you want such a job if there are thousands of other jobs you can have? There is a certain personality type, I believe, that are attracted to policing....and its sometimes not a good personality trait for policing.

I think police should be paid more, especially in big cities with high crime rates, and put through greater filters for service.
I agree with what you said, but I'm surprised at his decision making process.

(Not the shooting part, the way he approached a "check welfare call").

Why would you approach it that way? Seems really odd - surely his training didn't support that kind of investigation - in the dark - in response to a "check welfare" call.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I don't know details. Did the police officer follow protocol in doing a welfare check? Was Atatiana Jefferson pointing a gun at the officer?
That's sort of what I just posted about.

I can't IMAGINE that's protocol for a "check welfare" call. I've made those calls, on an elderly relative when she wasn't answering her phone for a couple days, and I'm certain they went up to the door and knocked, didn't creep around the property and look in with a flashlight.

I don't know if she was holding a gun - but I certainly wouldn't blame her if she was. Outside it was dark, and what she must have seen was someone pointing a flashlight into the back of her home at 2:30 a.m.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:51 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,712,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What a tragedy.. And that poor nephew, who had to see it.

But what does this have to do with politics? There are about 2 million citizen-police encounters a year in which they save thousands of lives.. I applaud them for doing a dangerous and thankless job, particularly since they are being demonized by the left, but it really isn't a politics issue.
"But what does this have to do with politics?....I applaud police....particularly since they are being demonized by the left....it really isn't a politics issue"

Says the partisan poster as she inserts politics into the thread

Old 10-13-2019, 04:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,464,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's sort of what I just posted about.

I can't IMAGINE that's protocol for a "check welfare" call. I've made those calls, on an elderly relative when she wasn't answering her phone for a couple days, and I'm certain they went up to the door and knocked, didn't creep around the property and look in with a flashlight.

I don't know if she was holding a gun - but I certainly wouldn't blame her if she was. Outside it was dark, and what she must have seen was someone pointing a flashlight into the back of her home at 2:30 a.m.
Unedited body cam video will be helpful in this case. I think police officers know to announce that they are police officers.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Not the best example. This woman might be still alive had she not had a gun.
Has it been in any article that she had a gun? I've seen this repeated a couple of times in the thread but don't remember reading it.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What a tragedy.. And that poor nephew, who had to see it.

But what does this have to do with politics? There are about 2 million citizen-police encounters a year in which they save thousands of lives.. I applaud them for doing a dangerous and thankless job, particularly since they are being demonized by the left, but it really isn't a politics issue.
People always forget that the forum is Politics and Other Controversies.

The way people are being *policed* these days is quite controversial. Would you agree?

Old 10-13-2019, 05:06 PM

Something else that needs to be discussed, after all the dust settles.

It seems Dallas/Fort Worth Police are so afraid of young black people that they feel threatened enough - by their very presence if it's unexpected - to shoot them.

That's a discussion that needs to happen. I don't know what the solution would be - these two were in their own homes and didn't even have a chance to react before they were shot.

We've had the public discussions and education about how to act non-threatening around cops, how to comply so no one gets hurt, but what do we do here?

What is clear - to me - is these two were terrified by the nonthreatening presence of a young black adult when they were startled to see one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies