Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 10:31 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
No,he just yelled for her to put her hands up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Correct. The cop did NOT identify himself. He just yelled "put your hands up" and immediately opened fire.

I would mention as well--and maybe cops are never taught this in their training--but the average person, not being a criminal, is going to be flustered when suddenly yelled at in a normal, relaxed situation.

If the average person is sitting on his sofa and suddenly the police burst through the door with "hands up!" that person is going to be surprised and flustered and his brain won't even process the "hands up!" He's likely to leap up and make any range of unthinking movements before it ever registers that he's been targeted by a police officer as a threat.

The only people who will automatically respond properly to a sudden "hands up" are people who are accustomed to being arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 10:34 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Lesson -never leave your door open or ajar in Texas. Always check three times. Not because burglars and criminals, because police might kill you for this oversight.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:43 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Lesson -never leave your door open or ajar in Texas. Always check three times. Not because burglars and criminals, because police might kill you for this oversight.

More importantly, people need to get it through their heads that calling the police raises every situation to a life-and-death situation.

Don't call the police unless it's a situation in which someone's death (maybe yours) is an acceptable outcome.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:19 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Okay, gun control advocates -- are you sure you want a world in which only the police have guns?

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 10-13-2019 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-13-2019, 11:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Lightbulb Fort Worth cop shoots woman in her home after being called to do a "welfare check"

So...

You're in your home, doing nothing wrong.

Some cop trespasses on your property and starts shouting orders at you.

Then he shoots and kills you in your home.

Some of the worst criminals wear badges.

Both of my brothers are cops. They have tales to tell.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:30 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is not new. This has been the case for as long as I can remember.

We're not sending them our best a whole lot of the time.

Not sure how to change it.
Remember that story about a Connecticut city that refuses to hire cops if they are smart? How crazy is that?

Old 10-13-2019, 11:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Will you change your story IF it is found out to NOT be true?
Will I change my story? Do you mean will I change my opinion?

Yes, I will. If it turns out the story in the media is completely wrong, and the body cam video is not the actual body cam video from the event, then I'll change my opinion to reflect the truer description of the incident.

Note: I do have my questions about the motivation of the neighbor. Did he truly call the cops out of a genuine concern for her safety, or did he call to them to come harass her? Because that does happen.

I find it unusual that a fit youngish man would call the cops when he sees a door open, screen door closed, lights on, both familiar cars in the driveway, 2 a.m. of his neighbor. I would suspect he was trying to get some kind of revenge.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:44 AM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
Very unusual that the neighbor didn't check on her. Most people in Fort Worth would go over there and yell, hey is everything alright?

Old 10-13-2019, 11:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Very unusual that the neighbor didn't check on her. Most people in Fort Worth would go over there and yell, hey is everything alright?
That's exactly what I'm thinking.

In my neighborhood, I could see a woman who was alone at home making that call to the cops, but a man would go check it out.

I do find it suspicious that the man called the cops.

I personally wouldn't think a thing of it if I saw my neighbor's door was open, screen door shut, on a lovely evening, both typical cars in the driveway. It wouldn't occur to me to call the cops unless I saw or heard something concerning.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:55 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
If I saw someone flashing a light in my yard (back) damn straight I'm gonna be armed and they aren't going to get the drop on me. Of course I'd be going to jail for shooting that cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies