Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 10:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Is university enrollment down? Have any universities gone out of business? Less foreign students means less illegal visa overstays.
Enrollment is down. Not sure if some have gone out of business, but it might be just a matter of time. It is not common for international students to overstay. You might as well shut down tourism too if that is a main concern.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Enrollment is down. Not sure if some have gone out of business, but it might be just a matter of time. It is not common for international students to overstay. You might as well shut down tourism too if that is a main concern.

Not common? The 3.73% visa overstay rate for foreign students is nearly double the next highest category of 2% for Non-VWP business or tourist category. Granted, the absolute number of business and tourist overstays is much higher because the expected departures is 8x greater. The lowest category at 0.4% is business or tourists from VWP (Bisa Waiver Program) countries.

See FY 2018 Overstay Rate Summary, page 13.
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...tay_report.pdf

It's not a primary concern of mine but visa overstays are always thrown out there as the greater problem by those defending illegal migrants trying to thwart border control.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:44 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If you think USA is racist, it shows you have never traveled internationally, except to maybe Canada and some parts of western Europe.
I've been to Europe, Asia, Latin America, Oceania in addition to Canada.

The US's blue states are not racist for the most part. But the red states..... oh boy.

During my travel, many people I encountered would asked me about Trump, usually in the form of, "WTF is wrong with your country? Is it safe for me to travel there?" I tried to make them aware that places that support Trump are usually backwoods craphole that they would never go to. It's still safe to visit places they want to visit - San Francisco, Los Angeles, NYC, etc.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:45 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Not common? The 3.73% visa overstay rate for foreign students is nearly double the next highest category of 2% for Non-VWP business or tourist category. Granted, the absolute number of business and tourist overstays is much higher because the expected departures is 8x greater. The lowest category at 0.4% is business or tourists from VWP (Bisa Waiver Program) countries.

See FY 2018 Overstay Rate Summary, page 13.
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...tay_report.pdf

It's not a primary concern of mine but visa overstays are always thrown out there as the greater problem by those defending illegal migrants trying to thwart border control.
you stop it with those facts!!

Old 11-20-2019, 11:49 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Hmm. I wonder how much of that was impacted by the political rhetoric during the 2016 campaign? For example, according to Wikipedia:

On December 7, 2015, as a candidate for president, Donald Trump called for "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on."

I could see parents being a bit concerned about that sort of talk by the selected Republican candidate. People have to plan ahead for their kids education, and this would plant a huge seed of doubt.
How can that be. Hillary was in a lock to win. Were they afraid of that?

Old 11-20-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
when they would have signed on for the fall 2016 semester, Hillary's Presidency was a foregone conclusion.

others are free to google Rachel Banks NAFSA and see this isn't the first time she's blamed Trump for the 10% decrease in foreign students. I believe someone put the number at 30,000 decrease? Among 50 states and perhaps 1,000 colleges and universities. And why in heck would foreign students - other than Canadians - come to a community college in Washington state?

Not in the countries I visited in 2016. Foreign media don't report polls, it's boring. They report sensational stuff when it comes to the US and Trump dominated the headlines about America. There are those who didn't know who he was running against - all they knew was that this racist, crazy, lying, foreigners hating old man was the nominee.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:52 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

The US's blue states are not racist for the most part. But the red states..... oh boy.

During my travel, many people I encountered would asked me about Trump, usually in the form of, "WTF is wrong with your country? Is it safe for me to travel there?" I tried to make them aware that places that support Trump are usually backwoods craphole that they would never go to. It's still safe to visit places they want to visit - San Francisco, Los Angeles, NYC, etc.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:59 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Did you ask a follow up during your trips to Asia, say China, and ask them WTF is wrong with their government? Or to Thailand and ask WTF is wrong with their king and why do they still have one?

Old 11-20-2019, 12:00 PM

Why do right-wingers keep posting this fake map that has been debunked multiple times??

Old 11-20-2019, 12:02 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Looks like most of the USA is a backwoods craphole no one wants to go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies