Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 04:36 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Who said that it happening? This is resulting in empty seats, and lower budgets.
That’s not happening. My oldest child will be applying next year, so I am up to date on this right now. Colleges are much more competitive now because more Americans are going to college than ever before. I dont know that I would get into my alma mater if I had to apply today. Even my safety school, the school I applied to because I knew I would definitely get in, even if I didnt get in anywhere else, is now considered a competitive school.

The reason they are losing money, is because foreign students pay an inflated tuition. Now that there are less of them, the schools have to take Americans, at the lower tuition rate.

Edit: It even says as much in the OPs article:
Quote:
International students are significant to school budgets, as many colleges and universities collect higher tuition from them. At Peninsula College in Washington State, international students are charged about $10,000 a year in tuition, while in-state students pay about $5,000.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:39 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If you think USA is racist, it shows you have never traveled internationally, except to maybe Canada and some parts of western Europe.
That's very true. Racism can be found everywhere; it's an ugly but common side to human nature. We just tend to notice it more often in the USA because of the melting-pot nature of this country.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:15 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That’s not happening. My oldest child will be applying next year, so I am up to date on this right now. Colleges are much more competitive now because more Americans are going to college than ever before. I dont know that I would get into my alma mater if I had to apply today. Even my safety school, the school I applied to because I knew I would definitely get in, even if I didnt get in anywhere else, is now considered a competitive school.

The reason they are losing money, is because foreign students pay an inflated tuition. Now that there are less of them, the schools have to take Americans, at the lower tuition rate.

Edit: It even says as much in the OPs article:
I would also add something else. Because more students are trying to save money, many either stay home and attend college in their home state. And some students take a year off to live in another state. Both cases, out of state tuition is avoided.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:29 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Who said that it happening? This is resulting in empty seats, and lower budgets.
How is it resulting in empty seats? Those are filled by American applicants. Ever heard of waiting lists? Every spring, students not outright declined but placed on waiting lists sit on pins and needles hoping to get into their 'dream school.'

Old 11-20-2019, 05:32 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Why is this a bad thing? These aren't illiterate peasants scampering up the banks of the Rio Grande. They hail from the best high-schools abroad, with strong family backing. They major in things like engineering. They go on to join university faculty, start-ups, tech firms, research organizations of various stripes. They're leaders in patents, in scholarly publications, in new ideas. Wouldn't it make sense to invite such persons with open-arms, with a ready pathway from F-1 visa, to H1b, green card and citizenship?
Yeah, but all that stuff aside; they aren't all white or potential members of the NRA and can probably think for themselves rather than glean all their knowledge from FOX news.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:33 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so how does a 10% drop in enrollment play such an outsized role? 25% of economic activity, and 14% of jobs?
There is no significant drop in enrollment. Most if not all admission slots are filled by American students on the waiting list. Universities maintain such lists for exactly that reason. Not every student they accept chooses to attend. If enrollment dips, they go to the waiting list. Those on the waiting list can be just as qualified, but lack the "diversity" many universities strive to achieve. White suburban HS student? You have no "hook."

Old 11-20-2019, 05:36 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Yes, you guessed it, its Trump's fault.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/educ...ing/ar-BBWZHfW

The continued decline in international student enrollment since the fall of 2016 has cost the US economy $11.8 billion and more than 65,000 jobs, according to estimates from NAFSA: Association of International Educators, an international association of professional educators.

"There's many variables, but largely it's been the policies and rhetoric from the current administration that's really driven the numbers to move in that direction," said Rachel Banks, director of public policy at NAFSA.
"has cost the US economy $11.8 billion and more than 65,000 jobs," All those liberal "professors" now have to find REAL jobs, if thy can. Don't feel sorry for them 1 bit.
And may of the students AFTER they education Visa's expired STAYED here ILLEGALLY.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:43 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In your own damn article it says the decline began in the fall of 2016.

Are you aware that Trump was not president at that time????
The summer of 2016 is when America`s worst were front and center for all the world to see.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:46 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
I'm not Finn, but this is an easy answer: sits are not limited. There are more colleges than students here. And in fact, with less enrollment colleges tend to increase tuition, just like any greedy business. So I'd say affordability will either stay the same, or will be reduced.

"Daddy, booze now costs twice higher. Does it mean you'll drink less? - No, kid, it means you will eat less"

Hoping for cost of education to come down is a pipe dream. Colleges are in the business of education, they are not there for education
If someone gets education in college, it's a byproduct, not the intent. Intent is to milk student as much as possible. The "education" part of it is optional
Everything is limited.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:49 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
A lot of illegal immigrants are from Visa abuses... And of course Democrats want them all in and free citizenship with it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies