Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 09:12 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Many if us do not support open borders, but found the call by many on the right, Trump included, to round up all eleven million illegal immigrants ..many of which had lived here productively for decades while we benefitted from their presence and looked the other way, as well as the tendency of many in the right to lump them all in with the criminals among them, as abhorrent.
And some if our cities, especially Rust Belt cities like my hometown of Dayton, are benefitting any many ways from the population infusion.

This.

Also might I add that illegal immigration IS a misdemeanor and typically that’s up to six months jail time with a deportation. I do think that there is a way to say “you did break the law so...........” without dehumanizing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 09:13 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So wrong on most of this.
Try all of it.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:19 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
While I hardly think that illegal immigration will be the death of our nation, it is costing us billions. I don't blame the illegals or legal immigrants for taking advantage of the current rules, but I also can't figure out why Democrats can say they support the rule of law when it come to the idiot in chief, but give hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants a pass.

I also don't see why we coddle people that don't speak English, and make no effort to do so. My great grand parents were Swedish. In those times immigrants wanted to be American more than anything. He even changed his last name from Johansen to Johnson so it would sound more like an American name. He was an illegal immigrant, ships carpenter. Was caught the first time, was successful the second. Built his own home and created a successful construction business.

Today, everyone, legal and illegal, brings their own culture and language, and try to make their neighborhood, (ghetto) as much like their home country as possible, even when it makes no sense. Like Indians wearing sandals in 17 degree weather.

I will still vote Democrat in November, Trumps tax plan increased my tax burden by $3,000, and I won't forget that, but I am hoping it's one of the more centrist Democratic moderates that is on the ballot. I'd like to see Bloomberg win.
In many areas...urban and rural ..immigrants from Scandinavia and Germany and ither places continued to speak their native tongues for generations.
In the late 1809s early 1900s my hometown of Dayton had German speaking neighborhoods, the Dayton Public Schools operated a number of German speaking schools, the city had a German language newspaper, there were many German street and school names, etc. World War 1 played a huge role in stopping that. Dayton renamed it's streets and schools that had German (the street that many years later would be the one I grew up on went from being Shartel Street to being Lincoln Street in 1917 after the declaration of war on Germany, and the school I later attended had it"s name changed as well). Many people even Anglicized their surnames at that time. Late nineteenth century American wasn't nearly as homogenized as many people today believe.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
In many areas...urban and rural ..immigrants from Scandinavia and Germany and ither places continued to speak their native tongues for generations.
In the late 1809s early 1900s my hometown of Dayton had German speaking neighborhoods, the Dayton Public Schools operated a number of German speaking schools, the city had a German language newspaper, there were many German street and school names, etc. World War 1 played a huge role in stopping that. Dayton renamed it's streets and schools that had German (the street that many years later would be the one I grew up on went from being Shartel Street to being Lincoln Street in 1917 after the declaration of war on Germany, and the school I later attended had it"s name changed as well). Many people even Anglicized their surnames at that time. Late nineteenth century American wasn't nearly as homogenized as many people today believe.
As long as you can speak English when communicating with me, I really don’t care what other language you speak in public or private. America certainly wasn’t as homogenized as one would like to believe. People took the most important aspects of their cultures and incorporated them into lifestyle of their new home.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:28 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,800,444 times
Quote:
While I hardly think that illegal immigration will be the death of our nation,
It certainly will be the death of our nation as we've known it. But I'm guessing that is not only ok, but probably even desired by many liberals.....?

Old 12-28-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
While I hardly think that illegal immigration will be the death of our nation, it is costing us billions. I don't blame the illegals or legal immigrants for taking advantage of the current rules, but I also can't figure out why Democrats can say they support the rule of law when it come to the idiot in chief, but give hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants a pass.

I also don't see why we coddle people that don't speak English, and make no effort to do so. My great grand parents were Swedish. In those times immigrants wanted to be American more than anything. He even changed his last name from Johansen to Johnson so it would sound more like an American name. He was an illegal immigrant, ships carpenter. Was caught the first time, was successful the second. Built his own home and created a successful construction business.

Today, everyone, legal and illegal, brings their own culture and language, and try to make their neighborhood, (ghetto) as much like their home country as possible, even when it makes no sense. Like Indians wearing sandals in 17 degree weather.

I will still vote Democrat in November, Trumps tax plan increased my tax burden by $3,000, and I won't forget that, but I am hoping it's one of the more centrist Democratic moderates that is on the ballot. I'd like to see Bloomberg win.
I think people are tribal by nature and will bring the most important of their culture with them. These ethnic enclaves exist as birds of a feather typically flock together.

“Johansen” really doesn’t sound that foreign so I’m pretty sure it would have sufficed (today) but that was a different time.

Regarding the sandals in cold weather. I don’t think it’s wise for anybody to do that. I know a few Americans who do this too, so it’s not so much a foreign thing. But I’ve heard that our feet were really designed to endure all weather forms.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:34 AM

23,563 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Dems are relying totally on the media propaganda machine to sway public opinion and create an alternate reality.

Evidence is how Schiff ran the hearings and why the departure form the norm. Clear attempt to jump the starting line, suppress opposition response and brand their version into the public minds.

Dems entire strategy is dependent upon their media propaganda machine, without which they could never have gotten this far.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:36 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
This.

Also might I add that illegal immigration IS a misdemeanor and typically that’s up to six months jail time with a deportation. I do think that there is a way to say “you did break the law so...........” without dehumanizing them.
It needs to be a felony as it would discourage more from coming here. Right now it's only a felony if you enter our country illegally more than once. Who's dehumanizing them?

Old 12-28-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
It certainly will be the death of our nation as we've known it. But I'm guessing that is not only ok, but probably even desired by many liberals.....?
I would argue that the MSM only shows the worst of liberals and conservatives alike and that MOST are not opposed to some for of immigration control even if they differ in their opinions regarding to approach.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:43 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
As long as you can speak English when communicating with me, I really don’t care what other language you speak in public or private. America certainly wasn’t as homogenized as one would like to believe. People took the most important aspects of their cultures and incorporated them into lifestyle of their new home.
IMO, if you know how to speak English but won't speak it in public it's a non-assimilation factor to me. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. At least have the decency not speak it so loud that you take away from the enjoyment of shopping, dining, etc. from native English speakers.

What's with all these Spanish ads over the intercoms in stores now? Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English. If they are catering to Spanish speaking "legal" immigrants then why don't they cater to immigrants in other languages also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies