Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 09:12 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,754,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I work at university cafe; they closed for Spring break March 6th ... I don't have a life, so I have been at home since then ... it's been about 3 years for me.

That was me last year. Did you know that a person can cough so hard they hemorrhage? Because of the pain, I went to the ER and they told me the tear wasn't large enough to warrant a surgery and doing one, might cause an infection, but ... that is when I was diagnosed with the COPD --- I found a low-cost clinic for my area, set up appointment to get approval. They approved and set me up an appointment, but before I could make the appointment and because I had no mediation yet ... I had a really big issue; had to call 9-1-1 and was hospitalized and treated for 4 days in June. It was like a 3 month process to get everything set up on medical care for myself; it was July before I saw the dr for the first time and August, before I felt like I was cured. But that feeling was short lived.
Some times I have gotten lucky ... this year there is a repeat and I hope to get a dr appointment next week. My saving grace for not having to push myself out the door for work like I did last year (and every year before) has been the shut down.

When I was a child, my mother would not let me go out in the cold or the rain, saying I always get sick. Every year, she would haul me into the dr office for a penicillin shot. Penicillin was all the rave in the 60s to cure what ails you ... any way that, plus other issues I've had all my life, now I know the name of my pain.

Just letting you know, I can sympathize with your situation as you have posted.
So you are able to stay in on a saturday when the weather is nice and sunny and 80 degrees?

Old 04-19-2020, 09:26 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
In South Cqrolina it was March 27th.....and now beaches and retail stores are being told to open.....

Because our governor thinks those things are the economic engines for our state.

Beach communities will not be opening up (yes I kind of sad but understand). Until more people go to work --- the beaches would be over run with folks and putting an unnecessary burden on the small communities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
120 deaths, 4,377 cases, population 5 million

Those are below US average rates of loss to covid.

As of 3-11-2020, 99 in SC had died from the regular flu.
People don't like it when you do this, you know that right?

The first case confirmed (I had to research to get this) was January 21st, Washington DC --- I believe it was, as I scanned the article for the date, not location ... 97 days ago ... find the number of people decease and do an average per day, since day one.

It's like the number of survivors vs non-survivors --- no one wants to know that. And they definitely don't want it compared to anything else.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:38 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
I work at university cafe; they closed for Spring break March 6th ... I don't have a life, so I have been at home since then ... it's been about 3 years for me.

That was me last year. Did you know that a person can cough so hard they hemorrhage? Because of the pain, I went to the ER and they told me the tear wasn't large enough to warrant a surgery and doing one, might cause an infection, but ... that is when I was diagnosed with the COPD --- I found a low-cost clinic for my area, set up appointment to get approval. They approved and set me up an appointment, but before I could make the appointment and because I had no mediation yet ... I had a really big issue; had to call 9-1-1 and was hospitalized and treated for 4 days in June. It was like a 3 month process to get everything set up on medical care for myself; it was July before I saw the dr for the first time and August, before I felt like I was cured. But that feeling was short lived.
Some times I have gotten lucky ... this year there is a repeat and I hope to get a dr appointment next week. My saving grace for not having to push myself out the door for work like I did last year (and every year before) has been the shut down.

When I was a child, my mother would not let me go out in the cold or the rain, saying I always get sick. Every year, she would haul me into the dr office for a penicillin shot. Penicillin was all the rave in the 60s to cure what ails you ... any way that, plus other issues I've had all my life, now I know the name of my pain.

Just letting you know, I can sympathize with your situation as you have posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
So you are able to stay in on a saturday when the weather is nice and sunny and 80 degrees?
Are you talking about when I work at the university cafe --- ? The answer to that is no. It's a Christian college and I don't even get off on Sunday for good behavior ... The day I went to the ER, my employer was not happy, they would have rather I worked in pain, than go home or to ER. Do you want to know what they did when I fell at work and broke my hip in Nov? First is was --- disbelief ... the rest was a wild ride.

When we work --- we work every day of the week, cafe opens at 7:30 a.m. many have arrived at 5 a.m. to get started and it doesn't close until 7:45 --- Food service work, no matter where one works is much like Amazon --- sweat shop work that doesn't pay for the labor one puts into it --- but it puts bacon on the table.

Since being (shut down from work) at home, when the weather has been nice I have opened the door to let the air in along with whatever oxygen it might create --- so far as of yet, I don't have an oxygen issue, but that will come in time.

PS: I didn't really understand the question, so I just took a stab at it.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:05 AM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
People don't like it when you do this, you know that right?

I will stay with facts while they emote, anyway.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:15 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I'm of the opinion it's time to start reopening America. I think there is enough real-world data to at least start looking at this.

Perhaps a zoned approach would be appropriate based on population density, current infection rates, and risk of future infections. Perhaps keep interstate and international travel to a minimum until a threshold of decreasing infections is met.

We, especially the governors of states, really need to start evaluating actual state-by state results against modeled predictions because we may be shooting ourselves in the foot by creating a one size fits all risk profile. The predictions seem to get less dire every week as real-world data is fed into the models. Really, I don't trust the models, their base assumptions, or the data being fed into them. If they are using the same type of model they used to predict global warming results, then I really give them very little credence. Governors should look at the actual, discernible patterns within their state and auditors need to be evaluating data for accuracy. For example, not everyone with CV dies from CV, but their deaths are being attributed to the virus and that is erroneously driving up the death rate.

Manufacturing is ramping up for PPE, distribution lines are sound thanks to our not so crumbling infrastructure. The malaria drug looks more and more promising every day. How are those conditions presented to the predictive models? Are they even used?

Has our fear of contracting the virus been used to shape a political outcome? I'm all about erring on the side of safety, but ruining the economy of the US with this near total shutdown is not a smart move for any political party. We need to get the nation off of its knees.

I'm thinking we should start looking at it. What do you think? Still too early?
Unfortunately, opinions are like... Well, you know... Your opinion, based on the views of the Enquirer counts for very little.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
120 deaths, 4,377 cases, population 5 million

Those are below US average rates of loss to covid.

As of 3-11-2020, 99 in SC had died from the regular flu.
Here we go again; quoting statistics when we aren't testing enough people. Without enough tests, the numbers are inaccurate. Perod, end of story. It's like using polls to determine who will vote for a candidate. One doesn't equal the other. Also, for those who argue that low testing rates mean that the death rate is in fact lower than the tests indicate, that isn't true either. If a person is immunocompromised or has another illness and contracts it, they wouldn't have died but for the disease and without the test demonstrating they have the disease for sure, they aren't counted among the victims, so the numbers are lower than suspected cases.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:21 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,451,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Unfortunately, opinions are like... Well, you know... Your opinion, based on the views of the Enquirer counts for very little.
Right, well, I started this thread three weeks ago, Now they are in the process of opening some states.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:23 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
Think the best thing is set a certain threshold of new cases for States. New cases bi-weekly have to be no greater than 250 cases.

Increase testing for COVID-19.

Allow businesses at their discretion to allow asymptomatic COVID-19 employees to work or quarantine for 14 days.

Think need to continue to encourage businesses to allow employees to work at home.

Shut down non-essential businesses on Sunday.

Non essential Government departments Federal, State, and Local open Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

Government operated facilities/parks/campgrounds only allowing 25 to 50 percent of max occupation of visitors.

Encourage individuals when unable to social distance to wear a mask.

Allow businesses to refuse service to individuals not wearing a mask.

Work towards setting up volunteers to deliver essential items for populations most vunerable to COVID-19.

Encourage 65+ shopping hours at grocery stores.

For Statesy look at weekly COVID cases at healthcare facilities. Create an average number of PPE supplies needed and quadruple that number. Ensure that number of supply stays like that.

Allow businesses to remain open and encourage to adhere to social distancing guidelines.

Increase public transportation services and limit number of individuals using public bus/rail/car at a time.

Increase distribution of automatic hand dispensers in public hot zone areas.

Cancel all large Government run events over 50 people.

Private events of large gatherings can continue. However, encourage these businesses and individuals to cancel large events for safety concerns.

Utilize factories to make needed medical supplies.

Utilize distilleries to make sanitizer.

Lift FDA regulations on pharmacuticals to fight COVID-19. Allow use of drug to be a choice of provider and patient.

Reassess restrictions every 2 months.

Last edited by RunD1987; 04-20-2020 at 07:44 AM..

Old 04-20-2020, 07:23 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
Florida opened some beaches back up.

Time to re-open dat ‘conomy!

Old 04-20-2020, 07:56 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,556,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Somehow you clipped out the 2nd paragraph, making it look like you quoted the article in whole:
Never said I quoted the whole thing. But again it is a liberal news paper so you have to give them that thrown in hysteria line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.