Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 09:22 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,270,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Nothing would be shut down right now if a Democrat was POTUS. Not a thing. Media created the hysteria.
The Democrats control the global media too?

Old 05-05-2020, 09:23 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,990,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I am shocked at how people surrender to polticians who have an agenda with no questions asked. ...People also don't question the politicians who keep saying just 15 or 30 more days.
The thing is that people are not surrendering to politicians. It's the politicians want to open the country. From what I see, it's the people who don't want to die and the local and state politicians are torn between saving their constituents and obeying Trump. The protesters are not at all anti-government. They are supported by Trump and his allies. The ones opposing the government are the ones who want to listen to the medical experts. It doesn't make sense to shelter at home for 6 weeks and then just 2 weeks shy of the peak, go back to work.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:23 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Prior to the shutdown -- so many places didn't have delivery - they implemented because of the shutdown. Will they keep it up after -- who knows.

If you have grandparents it means not only them staying home but you can't go see them because you aren't staying home.

Do you think Trump is going to get into a rally crowd right now.

The day he gets down in there and shakes hands -- I'm all in.....lol.
Well I don't know what back woods part of the country you come from, but in the civilized world, there's abundant delivery options and have been for a while now.

Yes, some grandparents will have to stay isolated.....but that's not a reason to crash the economy and destroy the lives of 300+ million Americans. Of course, that's not all grandparents, my parents are grandparents and while their symptoms were considerably more severe than mine were, they dealt with COVID-19 just fine despite having several serious risk factors. It's simply nowhere near as deadly as people are making it out to be. For the most part all they needed was Mucinex and eventually they stepped it up and got some Robitussin AC to help with the cough. Toss in some Tylenol to deal with some mild fever every now and again and that's 100% of the treatment they required....and that's the case for most even in their age group.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:25 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Liberals don’t really care. Their plan of “stay lockdown forever and get gov’t money” has backfired tremendously.

It’s very sad that folks think you could just run and hide and the virus was just going to disappear. Here we are, finally reopening the economy and COVID is still out there.

There’s a reason Sweden implemented herd immunity, they knew that was the only path.
How’s Sweden doing right now?

As well as New Zealand? Or Vietnam?

Compare and contrast:

“Sweden ranks seventh on the list of countries with most COVID-19 fatalities per capita.
Arguments for lifting any given lockdown can be made. At this point in the pandemic, however, Sweden’s experience no longer clearly supports them.
Twelve percent of Swedes who have tested positive have died. ”

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...-rate-is-high/

“Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield has announced a second day of no new cases or deaths from Covid-19 in New Zealand.”

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...w-cases-deaths

“Vietnam has confirmed 271 coronavirus cases. It has not reported any new case in the community for nearly three weeks.

All educational institutions were closed at the beginning of February when the first cases were reported in the country and all learning was moved online. Last month, the country imposed travel restrictions and closed businesses for three weeks.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...opens-70482895

Old 05-05-2020, 09:27 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,451,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
No. Leftists do. And leftists = democrats.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:27 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I hope that doesn't happen, but if Biden is elected, that is exactly what will occur. And that is the MEDIA'S goal. A Media that is 98% Democrat PROPAGANDISTS. They are the enemy of America.
They don't see it that way. What they see is this minor, short term economic hiccup being far better than 4 more years of Trump.

Because that's how they have it in their head - this is just a small, minor inconvenience, not economic doom, and Trump is the Devil himself, not just head of the Executive branch with an R after his name. In their minds, a minor inconvenience to rid ourselves of the hellspawn orange devil is as patriotic and pure/noble as it gets.

The problem is that 99% of this country has the critical thinking skills of a housefly, with a shorter attention span. So whatever the media tells them, they believe as absolute fact. With a Republican President, their daily message is doom, gloom, misery, etc. With a Democrat, way more positive.

Again, pin these threads where the **cue ominous music** KILLER VIRUS!!!! is much discussed and how we are staying home and shutting down the economy in order to stave off the zombie apocalypse...and watch how fast this disease is "cured" the INSTANT a Democrat takes power.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Pretty impressive, no?

The Democrats forced all of those other countries to shut down by planting stories in their media.

Because of course they did.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:31 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
I’m ok with sensible restrictions but I’m totally against the draconian measures not equally enforced nor making sense in the businesses they allow to remain open (like liquor stores for example).

Old 05-05-2020, 09:33 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

The fact is that other than financial considerations, nobody is forcing these workers to risk their lives and health.......they have free will to make the choice if serving your couch bound ass is worth it.

Exactly that's why some don't have a choice. Money makes the world go round and if people are trying to earn money sometimes they don't have a choice as to how they earn that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

But, despite how much I want the roads to be empty like they were in the beginning, this lockdown needs to stop. In my county, there's not one single death - in my entire county, there's 12 cases. That's it.

NY and NJ account for half of all of the deaths. Then you have a few states that make up the bulk of the rest of the deaths. It's ridiculous to close down the entire fricken country over a handful of states.

The only issue with starting to open things back up is chaos. It will look like a teen heartthrob concert every day for a while because people were so stir crazy. You'll probably have to have reservations for the most casual of restaurants..so good luck getting a seat. If you want to stay at a hotel you'll be like baby Jesus because everyone will turn you away at the inn as there is no room. If you're lucky enough to get a spot it will be so in demand that it will break the bank. The malls and other stores that were previously closed will look like a mosh pit.

So I hope that when they open things up they make a new normal because even aside from not going back to my non essential job I kinda fear getting out of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
You had the choice. You simply want choice on their dime. That you properly do not have.

If you opted to quit, they would have allowed it.

Unemployment, properly, is not for those who quit on their terms.

Unless things change I don't have a choice. It's this or nothing. I can't live on survey money or any of the other online gigs I do. I don't know if I can make grocery delivery my main job either especially when my mom would have to do it with me. It's only good for extra money.

Now maybe I'm wrong and there will be a new normal where people will be just begging to hire me but no one wanted me before this lockdown.
I can't push them to fire me. That would be difficult for me to pull off and anyway I don't think my boss would allow that to happen as much as they know I need to be somewhere else.
I can't get disability. I've already tried that route. I don't have the work credits and anyway I do want to work just can't handle working there in that position.
I'd love to be more optimistic like a few people that have talked to me at work but I also know my limitations. If I had a choice I wouldn't have gone through the things I did and I would have been out of this state a long time ago. Since childhood I haven't had a choice..now I'm more in control and there's a chance people would want to take that away from me.
I'm in a decent position where my job will probably be the last to open but I know they will open eventually and I worry it will happen before I can leave.

Last edited by Nickchick; 05-05-2020 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-05-2020, 09:35 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm labeled a liberal here and I'm ready - and we have lost no income, no real HUGE changes in our lifestyle -- we are home bodies ---- and the ocean isn't really warm enough for me yet......dining out - take home has been great.

But it is time to ease into this --- especially in some of the smaller communities, warmer communities, let's ease into this -- go nice and slow and measured and thoughtful and we have to be smart.
While I’m ready for it to be over. Nice weather shouldn’t really be the barometer for opening things up.

I can’t wait to get back to the new normal but I definitely have reservations about reOpening just because people are tired of being indoors.

Of course, you need to make money I totally understand wanting to open things up. Just hope people are smart about this. I really think some people believe their friends and family can’t infect them because they know them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies