Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 09:28 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Regardless, they are not as loud as the Religious Right. The Religious Right is a constant, problematic threat to true religious liberty.
That's your opinion. I disagree. That's my opinion. /shrug
Quote:
Meh...one person who claims to pray for others has nothing on the Religious Right. They are an active, influential political faction consistently trying to push THEIR religion through the government.
Nope. None of them have the Speaker of the House religious bully pulpit as Pelosi does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 10:01 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's quite interesting, actually. What you're saying is that the level of education makes more of a difference for blacks than whites (although it makes a difference for both....just a matter of degree). Interesting.
Education makes a BIG difference for Black women, especially from Bachelor's degree and further on. This is my theory. Alot of Black females having kids out of wedlock also contribute to teen births. And the same pattern with White teen mothers is likely the same with Black teen mothers (I've known more White teenage mothers than Black teenage mothers, it goes along with where I grew up). Many of them aren't academically inclined, they don't seem to have many aspirations to reach for. Some come from a culture where it's the norm to have kids at a young age, and have basically accepted it.

On the flip, I've been around Black women who were in college, who were goal-oriented. Having a kid out of wedlock would derail their plans. Same with Black women trying to get a masters or doctorate. Be careful. My theory about Black women getting a Doctorate, I look at it like this. Some of it might boil down to Black women getting married later relative to White women (on the occasion of black women getting married). I've noticed among Black women and White women that I know, who are currently married, the married Black that I know have gotten married later and had kids later. I know several White women who got married by age 26, some got married while in college (like at age 20, 21, and no they weren't shotgun marriages. The kids would come along after graduating from college). The Black women that I knew, most weren't getting married until after age 26. Getting married later, and having fewer kids as a result.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So, he spent 66 years of his 77 year life living in Delaware. Can't really claim he's a Pennsylvanian.
He's more of a northerner than the people we're talking about. He most certainly didn't grow up in the Bible Belt. Like I said, Wilmington,DE is basically an extension of Philadelphia.

Quote:
That's where most Black Baptists live, yet look at Blacks' unwed birth rate and consequent single-parent household rate and childhood poverty rate. They're very religious (much more so than Whites) yet self-destructive. WHY?
Blacks are about as religious as southern Whites. What part of THAT do you not understand? And for the record, welcome to HYPOCRITE 101. Hypocrites exists all over the human race. They exist among southern Whites who claimed to be religious, but hated people who were a different race than them, they exist among the persons cheating on their spouses. You might want to ask some of the ministers why OOW birth rates are up the roof, along with other destructive behavirs.

Quote:
I've said Blacks and Hispanics, the two demographic groups who are more religious than Whites AND overwhelmingly vote Dem, ALSO have the highest unwed birth rates and consequent single-parent household rates and childhood poverty rates. WHY? WHY do Blacks' and Hispanics' stronger religious beliefs translate into them embracing self-destructive behaviors/cultural values at a much higher percentage than Whites?
And you're trying to correlate being religious with voting Democrat. I never said Whites as a whole were religious. I specifically mentioned southern Whites. Why? A huge number of Republican votes come from White southerners. Whites might be less religious relative to Whites, but a large number of religious Whites live in the South. White southerners are less likely to have kids out of wedlock than Blacks are. Sounds like being religious is not the issue.

Ask yourself this. Utah is a very religious state. It's very Republican. It's basically a Mormon semi-theocracy. Not many Mormons are having kids out of wedlock. I got invited to a Mormon service a few times (I went but never became a Mormon). I notice that premarital sex is explicitly forbidden in the LDS church. So is drinking and smoking, and the consumption of coffee is discouraged. And the church can punish you for premarital sex if caught.

The Nation of Islam has done a decent job of curbing premarital sex. Black Muslims know that if caught for premarital sex, you get excommunicated.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
They were quite loud when they came out in droves to defeat Prop 8 (same sex marriage) in California.
How often do you hear Black people come out in droves regarding abortion and gay marriage relative to White people?

Explain how the "religious right" is mainly White and has very few Black or Hispanic members, in spite of alot of Blacks defeating prop 8 in California.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:05 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
That's your opinion. I disagree. That's my opinion. /shrug
Nope. None of them have the Speaker of the House religious bully pulpit as Pelosi does.
Yes, that is my opinion as a Sabbatarian Christian, whose faith strongly believes in separation of church and state. The Religious Right disregards that separation and has done and will continue to do more damage to religious liberty than Pelosi saying she prays for people ever will.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:08 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,451,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This reminds me of another lazily researched statistic about there being more black men in prison than in college. This stat is only true if you're including all Black men regardless of age. The majority of black men of college age aren't in prison.
LOL. So the statement is true until you add a condition that makes it untrue. HAHAHAHAHA. Here's a blockbuster for ya: Not all people in college are college age.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yes, that is my opinion as a Sabbatarian Christian, whose faith strongly believes in separation of church and state. The Religious Right disregards that separation and has done and will continue to do more damage to religious liberty than Pelosi saying she prays for people ever will.
One thing I've thought about is this. One of the ways the religious right got started, ironically, wasn't completely about religious liberty. It was about "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone".

Bob Jones University, a private evangelical university in Greenville,SC. BJU explicitly refused to admit any Black students up to 1971. It admitted Asians, but not Blacks. The IRS refused its tax-exempt status because of its racially discriminatory admission practices. When this happened, some right-wingers had a fit.

People were hiding behind "freedom of religion". I have thought about it. None of this has ever been about freedom of religion. I think more and more conservatives were finding themselves on the out during the 1960s and 70s. The religious right came at a time when America was battling culture wars.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This reminds me of another lazily researched statistic about there being more black men in prison than in college. This stat is only true if you're including all Black men regardless of age. The majority of black men of college age aren't in prison.
A better question is this: How many Black men have attended and/or graduated from college vs those who have done time?

And consider this. Alot of school didn't report on how many Black men were attending. A big chunk of the "there are more Black men in prison than college" only uses the universities that reported how many Black men were enrolled in their schools. And several of those numbers came from HBCUs. There are at least 5,000 colleges/universities in America. There are 2.3 million people in prison, both men and women. Blacks are about 1/2 of the U.S. prison population. Considering there are far more men in prison than women, this means there might be about 850,000 Black men in prison. There were 1,040,000 Black men in college. And there are millions more who graduated from college. Black men might make up a majority in the prison system, but to say there are more Black men in prison than college, that would be a dishonest assessment.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:13 PM

2,400 posts, read 755,704 times
This really isn’t a race issue anymore because every group has declining morality and family values which is like a bomb going off in every city in the country. I think blacks led the way but out of circumstances out of their control to a point. Ill conceived liberal programs destroyed already struggling families and robbed black men of their pride..typical liberal thinking destroys everything.

I think we are headed for a break up of the country because there are still a lot of people who want law and order and peace. It won’t be pretty for people who think big, liberal government will always save them.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
This really isn’t a race issue anymore because every group has declining morality and family values which is like a bomb going off in every city in the country. I think blacks led the way but out of circumstances out of their control to a point. Ill conceived liberal programs destroyed already struggling families and robbed black men of their pride..typical liberal thinking destroys everything.

I think we are headed for a break up of the country because there are still a lot of people who want law and order and peace. It won’t be pretty for people who think big, liberal government will always save them.
I've always looked at OOW births as a moral problem, not a race problem. Yes, Black women are leading in that category and have been leading for a long time, even before "the welfare state". At the same time, I've seen OOW births from non-Blacks. For me, it's a moral issue. I look at it is "this is wrong. You should have your children in wedlock. Get married first, then have children". Marriage is part of the process in building a family. I look at it in Biblical terms.

To be honest, morality hasn't been a strong suit in America. What was considered moral back then isn't today. What wasn't back then, is today. Being in the KKK isn't moral by any means. I don't consider OOW births to be a good idea either. Being in the Klan in many parts of the USA in the 40s and 50s wasn't considered the worst thing to be. Today, you don't dare tell anyone. Back in the 40s and 50s, OOW births were met with shame. Today, alot of people don't care.

Out of wedlock births have been an issue in the Black American population going back to the 1930s. And I posted links in this thread proving such. I don't blame welfare for it because of this. Between 1930 and 1960, Black OOW birth rates varied between 27% to 40%, while only 5% to 6% for White women. Black men have dealt with their pride and ability to take care of themselves compromised and challenged from the moment they were brought to this country. It got even worse after slavery ended.

Question. How are we going to end up with a breakup of this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies