Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 05:27 PM

2,264 posts, read 973,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Considering the evidence on cloth masks, you’re incorrect.
Cloth mask = cloth condom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 05:36 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I really don't see why the mask is political.

Do what you can to protect others. It's really not that difficult for an hour or two.
Wrong. It is difficult for someone like myself who is struggling with anxiety. I wore one to a store this week and found myself pulling it off my face to regain my composure so I could finish getting the few things I needed. As soon as I hit the doors to leave I pulled it off and in tears. Thank goodness I carry my break through anxiety meds with me because they came in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I only wear a mask if going into a store that requires it. Other than that NO.
This is what I've decided too.

I just find it funny how so many people have realized how truly nasty they are but think a mask is going to save them.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:37 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenchi View Post
Hate to break it to you, but you can't make it a law. There is already law that protects against it.

Though, sure... you could disregard that law, and well.. just do what you want (like many local governments are doing and losing to in court), but that will only work so long, and then... a virus will be the least of your worries. /shrug
Society can make that law. And there is no law that prevents it.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:38 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It's simple: Masks = Democrat, Anti-freedom, Communist Cucks. No Mask = Proud, America-loving, Non-coward.
I'm going to assume this is sarcasm.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Considering the evidence on cloth masks, you’re incorrect.
A cloth mask will still prevent most of your droplets from infecting common areas.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, ok... so we are disregarding the constitution and then moving to the "might makes right" form of society.
No the constitution doesn't give you the right to go without a mask. Go read it. Just like the government can require you wear pants when going in public, they sure as hell can make you wear a mask.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Well, if it gets "most", then you are safe. After all, the virus doesn't infect you unless you get "most" of the droplets.

No really, its science.
That doesn't make sense. Don't talk about things you don't understand.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:49 PM

17,670 posts, read 6,928,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
That doesn't make sense. Don't talk about things you don't understand.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:29 PM

989 posts, read 456,722 times
Quote:
What does not?

You claimed the mask stops "most of the droplets" as if to imply that somehow that will keep people from getting infected. You do realize ANY contact (ie any droplet) will likely result in being infected? So the argument that it "stops" most is kind of well... silly. Any contact and you are infected. That is why they are pretty pointless.
Not proven yet that *any* contact causes infection. Below are some excerpts related to the infectious load of the virus which has yet to be determined. Since it behaves like any other disease, there is an infectious dose and anything people can do to reduce that dose/load is going to be in your favor.

Quote:
The average number of viral particles needed to establish an infection is known as the infectious dose. We don’t know what this is for covid-19 yet, but given how rapidly the disease is spreading, it is likely to be relatively low – in the region of a few hundred or thousand particles, says Willem van Schaik at the University of Birmingham, UK.
Quote:
A high infectious dose may lead to a higher viral load, which can impact the severity of Covid-19 symptoms.

Viral load is a measure of virus particles. It is the amount of virus present once a person has been infected and the virus has had time to replicate in their cells. With most viruses, higher viral loads are associated with worse outcomes.

“The more viral particles that get into the lungs, the more damage to the lungs that is probably happening,” said Hardy.
Quote:
Higher SARS-CoV-2 viral loads might worsen outcomes, and data from China suggests the viral load is higher in patients with more severe disease. The amount of virus exposure at the start of infection – the infectious dose – may increase the severity of the illness and is also linked to a higher viral load.

Healthcare workers can be exposed more often due to numerous infected individuals’ exposures. In the early stages of an outbreak, initial contacts might not be recognized, particularly contacts with those with mild symptoms, or when the use of protective measures is suboptimal. Reducing the frequency and intensity of exposure to SARs-CoV-2 might reduce the infectious dose and result in less severe cases.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:31 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
A cloth mask will still prevent most of your droplets from infecting common areas.

In theory. Maybe. Possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies