Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 06:34 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenchi View Post
Read what?

Go on, where is that part where the government has the authority to force people to wear masks.

Which one is it?

Please, educate me!
Does the government have the right to force you to wear pants in public, yes or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 06:36 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
In theory. Maybe. Possibly.
We have countless examples of Asian countries where people wear surgical masks (not the n95 ones) and all of them fared orders of magnitude better than European countries and us. If besides common sense is not enough, then certainly data should be. No one is saying you're 100% safe with a cloth mask, or surgical mask, but you're less likely to catch it and less likely to give it to others.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:47 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
We have countless examples of Asian countries where people wear surgical masks (not the n95 ones) and all of them fared orders of magnitude better than European countries and us. If besides common sense is not enough, then certainly data should be. No one is saying you're 100% safe with a cloth mask, or surgical mask, but you're less likely to catch it and less likely to give it to others.
Surgical masks and homemade cloth masks are not the same thing.

The WHO does not recommend that healthy individuals wear cloth mask, based on the evidence.

People who feel that masks would help can choose to wear them but they should accept that not everyone will agree and it’s not because of political party, it is due to the evidence.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:06 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,343,125 times
I wear a mask when I go shopping. I take it off, after sanitizing my hands, when I get back to my vehicle. I do not wear a mask when doing outdoor activities or when I go places where there won't be a large crowd that I have to be in close contact with for an extended period of time. For instance, I went to pick up some food, curbside. I did not put on a mask just because I had to come within a few feet of someone while they put my food on an outdoor table so I could take it.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:16 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
Why not? YOU are the one that's sick, Somebody. They "someone" you got within a few feet of probably was wishing YOU had a mask on.

This is really taking a long time to sink in. The mask is for The Other Guy. It's polite. It may even be helpful.

Or we can go the other way:

To not wear it is rude. It may even be harmful.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:33 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Do people really think that simply walking past another person, even with your mouth closed will put the other person at risk? Just being near another person for a brief moment is a big risk?

Aren’t you more worried about touching things in the grocery store, the cart, the spray bottle used to clean carts, the pin pad that many others have also just touched?

Old 05-14-2020, 08:43 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I'll wear a mask if they are asking me too, but only when in stores and close proximity to others, walking down the street by myself or in the car, no... not wearing a mask then.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:53 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,171,947 times
The nonsensical, illogical resistance to wearing masks by conservatives is the same reaction they had when seatbelt laws first appeared. "No one's going to tell me how to drive," "You're a sissy if you wear a seatbelt." After enough non-seatbelt wearers died and those who did use a belt survived, the conservative mindset slowly came around. Selt belt resistance has all but disappeared.

It'll probably be the same with masks: if there's a major flare-up in the "reopen" states and lots of people die, then maybe the thick-skulled mask resisters will reconsider their foolish position.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:17 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
I choose not to live in a police state and don't want martial law. So no lockdowns and no masks for me. But I might slap you around if I see you're coughing and out in public. Or if you tell me to wear a mask.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:38 PM

2,264 posts, read 973,367 times
If you're going to take the thinning the herd approach to dealing with a pandemic because you hate the government more than you love grandma and grandpa you need to do it right. Timing is everything. If you drag it out too long your economy implodes and here comes a depression. If you do it too quickly you overwhelm hospitals.

So far the U.S. has been thinning the herd too slowly and its economy is on the rocks while hospitals are laying off staff. It needs to speed up the tempo by encouraging large public gatherings of like-minded people, none of whom are wearing masks and all of whom are engaging in close physical contact. After three days, encourage them to circulate among their friends and family members at events like weddings and other large family gatherings. To make the most of the situation they should make sure everyone's life insurance policies are paid up.

Three or four months later tops the herd should be thinned out and America too can declare mission accomplished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies