Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 11:03 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Potential COVID patients are not waiting in the waiting room. That would be crazy.

They are brought directly to negative pressure isolation rooms.

The COVID crisis has also scared a lot of people away from the hospitals. So people who use the ER for frivolous purposes, are not coming anymore. And unfortunately, some patients who really SHOULD be going to the ER, are very hesitant to come.
Exactly -- big article in our paper about this. People chose not to go to the ER....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 11:04 AM

39,227 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hang on I wasn't calling you out at all on anything. I was talking that the ventilator was a last resort treatment and that doctors usually don't use them unless they are sure the outcome without it is going to be dead. I think you totally misread my post. It was supporting what you said about the risks of using ventilator and supporting that they are used in dire cases only.

And of course I will call out anti-science...

And ventilators aren't blue or red...

AND I called out the article where the Rpeublican politician solicited physicians to support the hydroxychloroquine as propaganda.......because it was. Not long after that whole campaign to try and support this drug treatment because the President mentioned it .......we found out that it is a very dicey treatment for many patients and was then only used in some cases.

I didn't say anything about propaganda or politics in the ventilator post.
whatever

Old 05-17-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:

It is true regular ER visits are down. That's a good thing and probably a result of social distancing. Less accidents, less injuries, etc.
Not a very good thing if people have heart attack, stroke, cancer.. etc, etc, etc

A friend of mine's gallbladder needs to be removed, surgery postponed.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Not a very good thing if people have heart attack, stroke, cancer.. etc, etc, etc

A friend of mine's gallbladder needs to be removed, surgery postponed.
The ER isn't turning people away.....they aren't having as many people show up. Emergency heart attacks, strokes are still being dealt with. I haven't heard about hospital turning away ER cases.

Cancer --- the people I know undergoing treatments are still getting them. They go in daily, they just can't bring people with them.

Are there hospitals denying cancer treatments? Wow -- that is sad.

And the gallbladder surgery was an emergency ? and they refused -- that is scary. That's a problem with that hospital for sure.

The ER's here aren't turning people away, they just haven't seen the incoming......

Old 05-17-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
The ER isn't turning people away.....they aren't having as many people show up. Emergency heart attacks, strokes are still being dealt with. I haven't heard about hospital turning away ER cases.

Cancer --- the people I know undergoing treatments are still getting them. They go in daily, they just can't bring people with them.

Are there hospitals denying cancer treatments? Wow -- that is sad.

And the gallbladder surgery was an emergency ? and they refused -- that is scary. That's a problem with that hospital for sure.

The ER's here aren't turning people away, they just haven't seen the incoming......
Never said anything about ER turning people away.

The point is: people shouldn't be afraid to use ER, but they are.

The only point I was making is that this covid-19 has turned hospital into a war zone, and maybe a doctor should be in charge of crisis communication, not media and SOME politicians.

If you asked my uncle, he'd say, "Come to the ER and we will take care of you. Chest pain cannot wait" It is sad that people are so afraid. I have no doubts in my mind that people die of non-covid 19 related illness. unnecessarily,

Old 05-17-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Never said anything about ER turning people away.

The point is: people shouldn't be afraid to use ER, but they are.

I think that's why they did the article in the paper about the ER being available and ready.

It is true, if you need ER you should go to the ER.

I still think that the decline is less about folks NEEDING an ER and not going and more bout the fact that there are less people NEEDING and ER.

I can't imagine someone having a heart attack and just sitting it out at home because they are afraid of the ER......eek.

We would see an upswing in other kinds of deaths if that happened.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:27 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Gallbladders are rarely true emergencies.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I can't imagine someone having a heart attack and just sitting it out at home because they are afraid of the ER......eek.

Friend's grandfather is in his 80s, he used to go to ER or his doctor every time he experienced chest discomfort, now, his regular doctor only does telehealth, and he refused to go to ER.

I am not a doctor but I believe life is a balancing art. When hospital is viewed as a war zone, I am pretty sure a lot of people will die unnecessarily.

I understand that we need to flatten the curve, our hospitals cannot be overrun, but life is a balancing art, how do we give other patients proper care during a global pandemic? Certainly other diseases carry much higher mortality rate.

I wish I have an answer, but I don't. Very depressing that we all need to deal with this crap.

Gallballder being emergency or not, the pain is real, surgery has been postponed due to this stupid virus, this virus sucks!

Old 05-17-2020, 11:42 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Friend's grandfather is in his 80s, he used to go to ER or his doctor every time he experienced chest discomfort, now, his regular doctor only does telehealth, and he refused to go to ER.

I am not a doctor but I believe life is a balancing art. When hospital is viewed as a war zone, I am pretty sure a lot of people will die unnecessarily.

I understand that we need to flatten the curve, our hospitals cannot be overrun, but life is a balancing art, how do we give other patients proper care during a global pandemic? Certainly other diseases carry much higher mortality rate.

I wish I have an answer, but I don't. Very depressing that we all need to deal with this crap.

Gallballder being emergency or not, the pain is real, surgery has been postponed due to this stupid virus, this virus sucks!
I agree completely. It does suck. We are starting to get back to normal. Starting elective surgeries again next week. Hopefully we dont have to go through this again.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I agree completely. It does suck. We are starting to get back to normal. Starting elective surgeries again next week. Hopefully we dont have to go through this again.
I really respect your opinion. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences as a doctor, we really need that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies