Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 12:02 PM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I can't imagine someone having a heart attack and just sitting it out at home because they are afraid of the ER......eek.

We would see an upswing in other kinds of deaths if that happened.
There are many stories of people doing exactly that. As a doctor in this article says, people don't stop having strokes and heart attacks because of coronavirus is out there. If the ER is empty, that is a worrisome thing, not a good thing.

https://khn.org/news/eerie-emptiness...ts-delay-care/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 08:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Because hardly anyone is in the ICU....even in red states that relaxed their lockdowns weeks ago.

The evidence is irrefutable, this virus presents virtually zero risk.
No, silly you. What are they gonna report on? Trumps initiative has created a flood of ventilators? If the news doesn't hurst Trump, it I snot news.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And if there's no shortage, they can't blame the shortage on Trump
Absolutely! The only reason they were harping on ventilators was that they were thinking it hurst Trump. Did they ever go back to the same hospitals with crying nurses wanting ventilators? No, that would help Trump hence not newsworthy. On to testing now.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times
The US had a very strict policy on who can take the test and who can be hospitalized.
Many people just died in their (nursing) homes.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:33 AM

8,244 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Not a very good thing if people have heart attack, stroke, cancer.. etc, etc, etc

A friend of mine's gallbladder needs to be removed, surgery postponed.
We've had some people in the building go without going to the e.r. A few days ago one of them passed.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:21 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
A month or so ago I started designing and building a ventilator. It's ready now, but the urgency has gone way down. For the same reason you haven't heard much about ventilators on the news. There's no crisis there any more, there are plenty to go around.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:16 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Look, the whole “ventilator crisis” started because Italy ran out of ventilators, and doctors were stuck with the horrible position of having to choose who gets them, and who was left to die without one.

At first, it was anyone over 80 didn’t get a ventilator. Then when they still ran out, they lowered it to anyone over 70. I don’t fault anyone here in the US who was trying to scramble to get more ventilators, because too many ventilators is not a problem, but too few, is a problem.

As it turned out most of the people on the ventilators, especially in those age groups, died anyway. It just took days or weeks, rather than hours like the people who didn’t get ventilators. But regardless, we are the USA, not Italy. I know this statement is unpopular in certain circles, but we have the best medical system in the world. It has it’s flaws, but if I had a life threatening illness, there is no place I would rather be. If we ran out of ventilators, it would just give a lot of ammunition to the people who love to disparage our health care system.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:31 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Look, the whole “ventilator crisis” started because Italy ran out of ventilators, and doctors were stuck with the horrible position of having to choose who gets them, and who was left to die without one.

At first, it was anyone over 80 didn’t get a ventilator. Then when they still ran out, they lowered it to anyone over 70. I don’t fault anyone here in the US who was trying to scramble to get more ventilators, because too many ventilators is not a problem, but too few, is a problem.

As it turned out most of the people on the ventilators, especially in those age groups, died anyway. It just took days or weeks, rather than hours like the people who didn’t get ventilators. But regardless, we are the USA, not Italy. I know this statement is unpopular in certain circles, but we have the best medical system in the world. It has it’s flaws, but if I had a life threatening illness, there is no place I would rather be. If we ran out of ventilators, it would just give a lot of ammunition to the people who love to disparage our health care system.
exactly! totally agree 100%

Old 05-18-2020, 08:13 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
Recent data suggests that ventilators do work in many cases, so they are effectively back in play.

Quote:
"We think that mortality for folks that end up on the ventilator with [COVID-19] is going to end up being somewhere between probably 25% up to maybe 50%," Cooke says.

Scary, but hardly a death sentence.
New Evidence Suggests COVID-19 Patients On Ventilators Usually Survive

Old 05-18-2020, 08:24 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Recent data suggests that ventilators do work in many cases, so they are effectively back in play.

New Evidence Suggests COVID-19 Patients On Ventilators Usually Survive
Well, regardless of what one may read on social media, they were always in play. This is for lack of any other feasible way to keep people alive long enough to give them a chance to recover from the illness.

But, this is what I am seeing as well. In the short term, it seemed that everyone that went on the ventilator was dying. But those are people who would have died much quicker without the ventilator. But now that time has passed, it seems that those who make it past the initial few weeks on the ventilators, have a much higher likelihood of surviving.

In the first few weeks, our ventilator mortality rate was 90%. But as time has passed, that number dropped to 70%. And it is still falling. People who have been on the ventilators for 4-8 weeks, are starting to come off the ventilators, and the final tally may be 50% or better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies