Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 01:30 PM

14,319 posts, read 11,719,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Two of my coworkers are dead. Both were in their late 50s/early 60s and didn't have a serious underlying disease. They had issues that more than half of Americans deal with: overweight, one (to my knowledge) had high blood pressure, the other was a type I diabetic.
Sadly, although all three of these issues are very common, they are nevertheless serious underlying conditions.

I hope that one positive change that comes from this crisis is that people no longer say with a straight face that someone who is obese with diabetes and/or high blood pressure is healthy and doesn't have a serious underlying condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 01:48 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
My area just saw what happens when a nearby county spiked. Our area received the residual effect. We are now on the upclimb again. Our hospital.just confirmed more receipt of ventilators . They are a few days ahead of this recent release of positive tests counts.
My city just last week.released a right to defiance order by our D.A. he basically set a fire to revolt . Now business's are opening ahead of preventive measures. And none can 'golly jeepers mr olson' attitude ,correlate that their selfish behavior has created this new release of susceptibility.
I already have my medical directives in place, which i do not want a ventilator. Not when you are trach'd afterwards . But my medical directives will mean nothing because not one of my delegated person's will be allowed on premise. They could pretty much leave me hooked up for whatever time I have left. The virus is wretched but my fear is the staff. I'm a number in a bed.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Because we have plenty of them and there is no shortage.
There is now a huge surplus and Trump is giving them to Mexico, Brazil etc.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:00 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,733,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is now a huge surplus and Trump is giving them to Mexico, Brazil etc.
You beat me to the punch.

Your not hearing about this, because "ventilators" is no longer something the media can bash Trump about on a daily basis.

Trump, "trumped" the ventilator issue, and is now giving them away where they may be needed most.

CN

Old 05-16-2020, 02:06 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
I live in southern california.

So we all agree the incubation for covid19 is 14 days, right?

It's been 23 days since thousands of people packed the beach in Huntington Beach, OC during that very hot weekend.

16 days since thousand people showed up to the street in OC to protest stay at home order by Emperor Gavin Newsom.

My friend is a Brazilian Jiujitsu (a grappling martial art similar to wrestling) instructor in Irvine, OC. He reopened his gym 14 days ago in defiant of stay at home order. So far nobody in his gym is sick.

I checked out 4 local hospitals today in the OC. It's not busy in the ER. The parking lots are half empty. No body bags lining out the door. USN Mercy (hospital ship) just left the port of LA yesterday after treating 77 non-covid19 patients after 2 months in LA.

So......what is going on?

Old 05-16-2020, 02:20 PM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
What an average layperson like you needs to understand is that scienrific understanding of something new is not in a static state of perfection at the start. It starts with hypotheses; then as data is collected, hypotheses are proven or disproven. New treatments and new hypotheses take place. This is how the scientific method evolves toward better knowledge and better results. We should all try to be more like this on our own evaluations of the world.
I'm afraid the point of this explanation will be lost on many people. We're still hearing complaints from people in this forum about how recommendations have been revised. They'll never be able to grasp the idea that medicine is mostly science but also part art, and changing data means changing protocols and guidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
The evidence is irrefutable, this virus presents virtually zero risk.
Please provide said "irrefutable" evidence. The families of 88,230 deceased in this country are curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Take out people with a serious underlying disease and those over 80, and the fatality rate drops to a fraction of 1%. That might have been the “near zero” the poster meant.
I guess than 1 percent doesn't matter, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You apparently don't have a need to work and provide for yourself and your family-others are not so fortunate.
You assume a lot. Where do you get your (mis)information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I could turn it around and ask why YOU don’t care about people who will feel so destroyed that they will end up suiciding, or O.D.ing, or abusing a defenseless child.
I'm amused at the conservatives' sudden compassion for people with behavioral health issues and substance addictions. No doubt that will fade as quickly as it began once the peak of the public health crisis passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We do have a scientific method, and a critical part of it is trying advance science is to promote and test a variety of different hypotheses. Yet we don't do that-the only ideas we consider are the ones promoted by government bureaucrats, sometimes posing as scientists. We accepted their word that there was no human-to-human transmission. We listened as those experts (CDC) said we don't need internationally available test kits, nor from American companies or universities-the CDC had it covered, and in fact banned (via the FDA) other tests. And then they screwed the pooch hard, made a test that failed, and cost us weeks before we could start testing. Real science would have multiple sources of kits, and test all of them for their efficacy.
Yes, you're right - the Trump administration screwed up royally in the early days of the pandemic.

Quote:
We spend billions funding the CDC-they should be providing guidance and leadership to medical professionals "in the trenches". Instead, it is the troops on the front lines that have to run their own studies, develop their own treatments and do their own science.
More failure from the top. So what's your solution?

Old 05-16-2020, 02:23 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Yup, and we have plenty of hospital beds.

So much for progressives declaring the end of the world

Old 05-16-2020, 02:30 PM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
There never was a shortage.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:48 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Because 80% of the Covid patients that went on them died anyway.
Right. Because the only people the doctors ever put on ventilators, were at death's door already.

Of the people in that condition that the doctors put on ventilators, 80% died.

Of the people in that condition that the doctors DIDN'T put on ventilators, 98% died.

Were you going to explain your objection to putting patients on ventilators sometime here?

Old 05-16-2020, 03:04 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
“We took all of these drastic measures to slow the spread of this disease. Now look at how slowly the disease is spreading! Why are we taking such drastic measures to stop a disease that spreads so slowly?“

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies