Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 08:56 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,083 times

Advertisements

To be fair, and saying this as a white male trumper Republican...

He would still be alive had this incident not occurred.

Now whether that merits Democrats throwing temper tantrums and burning down their own cities is debatable....

Old 05-29-2020, 08:57 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Just do as the officer asks and give him what he asks for.
It's not hard.
It's also not hard to look up the number of people who complied with every order the police officers gave them and were killed by the officers anyway. Lots of audio, video, forensic, and eyewitness documentation on that. It's way past time to drop the worn out old victim blaming baloney. It's not working.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:57 PM

26,507 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...mbined-health/

This is a big reason why I often caution people to wait for the evidence to come out before coming to certain conclusions as a matter of fact and law.

Now, the officers still behaved inappropriately and I believe that the knee to the neck was STILL excessive and warrants some kind of charge. But, in light of these findings (and understanding that the Floyd family is requesting a private autopsy), I now see no realistic way that the ex-cop gets convicted of murder.

The standard for convicting police officers who cause death or injury while acting in their official capacities is already challenging. But I was hopeful that, if the evidence showed that the clearly excessive knee to neck hold literally caused Floyd to be choked to death (there was already skepticism based on that by the fact that Floyd was able to state repeatedly that he couldn't breathe, which shows that he was able to breathe . . . people get on the MS mayor for making a similar point--and I've said that just because something is factual doesn't mean that it should be uttered) then there would be a clear cut case of unlawful homicide even with the cop's status (and, to be clear, I want all of the cops on the scene charged with something).

If I was the now ex-officer, I may not even request a jury trial.
This will be interesting.

Floyd was able to talk well, which does suggest he could breathe, as well.

You can still make a great claim for police brutality and if Floyd had heart conditions I think a prosecutor could still argue the excessive police force triggered his preexisting health conditions with the stress of it all.

The public wants blood revenge, but I think murder is out, manslaughter is still on the table.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:00 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's predictable that they would say he didn't die of the police actions, but, in a sense, they did.

In other words, that man would not have died on that street right then and there were it not for what the police did to him. What they did "exacerbated" (the words used by the ME) his current conditions.

So, no, they are not in the clear. But keep cheering for those pos.
If this was a civilian on civilian death, the charge of murder would be open and shut. As if it was the case if the cop's placement of the knee in the neck for 10 minutes literally killed Floyd. But, as I've mentioned before (you clearly ignored that part), there is a different legal standard for charging and convicting police officers acting in their legal capacities.

It is almost certain that Floyd would be alive today if not for being cuffed and placed on the ground by the cops. But that is NOT the standard that will be used at trial.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:00 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Do you think he will be in jail for longer than 12.5 years which was the sentence given to the racist Somali American cop in Minneapolis who killed Justine Ruszczyk an unarmed white woman?

Keep in mind Justine was shot and killed in July of 2017.

Noor wasn’t charged until March of 2018. Nine months later. Compare that to this situation where the officer was charged days later. Where was the outrage? Looting? Riots? Burning of cities?
Do I think he'll be in prison (not jail, prison) longer than 12.5 years?

If they toss out murder and give him manslaughter, I think he'll do 10 or less with "good behavior"...that is, if they charge him at all.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:02 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,758,043 times
Nobody cares. Look at America right now.

The guy would still be alive if it not for a dumb idiot police officer who put a knee in his neck for 9 min, even after Floyd was passed out for 3 min

7,343 posts, read 4,371,544 times
Who wants to bet that we will also eventually find out he was on cocaine or meth as well?

Just do crazy that the msm edited the video. Crazy, I tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
This will be interesting.

Floyd was able to talk well, which does suggest he could breathe, as well.

You can still make a great claim for police brutality and if Floyd had heart conditions I think a prosecutor could still argue the excessive police force triggered his preexisting health conditions with the stress of it all.

The public wants blood revenge, but I think murder is out, manslaughter is still on the table.
That's the argument I'd put forward as the prosecution. But if the cop didn't know of Floyd's medical conditions, that information could possibly be legally irrelevant.

Make no mistake about it, it appears pretty evident to me that George Floyd would be alive today if not for the police action that day. And if this was a case of civilian on civilian homicide, the case would be an open and shut one. Likewise, if it was shown that the cop's knee to the neck for 10 minutes literally suffocated Floyd to death, the case would be easy in my eyes, even with a killer cop. But things get more difficult when faced with the preliminary autopsy report here.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Nobody cares. Look at America right now.

The guy would still be alive if it not for a dumb idiot police officer who put a knee in his neck for 9 min, even after Floyd was passed out for 3 min
That's not the standard needed to convict a police officer. And, again, pointing to the knee in the neck doesn't have the legal significance that many thought it did pre-autopsy.

Whether protesters see this or not doesn't change those facts. They won't be responsible for convicting the killer cop of anything.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:05 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,673,749 times
That man didn't die from the gunshot. He got so scared after I fired the gun, he died of a heart attack a split second before the bullet hit him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies