Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you think these governers want to keep extending the lockdowns?
They actually care about peoples 29 25.22%
Political reasons 86 74.78%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 09:33 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Yes, evil is the word I'd use.
Evil and Unconstitutional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 10:11 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Evil and Unconstitutional.

Agreed.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:53 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
So you are a single issue voter....the gym rat lobby isn't gonna take it anymore.
Yes, I’m becoming a single-issue voter. This crisis has upended everything for me. As recently as February, I’d scoff at the militants who based their voting-decisions on abortion. Like the guy, and his policies,… but he’s pro-choice? Fail! Vote for the opponent. Well, here’s where presently we stand. I remain pro-choice, but I’ll gladly vote for a crackpot theocratic zealot, who wants to make abortion under any circumstance, a capital offence (?) – if part of his platform is the full and immediate opening of gyms. Yes, it’s that important to me. I’ve been attending the gym religiously for 30 years, included when I had a broken leg. It is absolutely fundamental to who I am, where I wish to go, and what I value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I spoke to an aunt of mine the other day. She was a little girl during WW II. To put your current "inconvenience" into context. .... If my Aunt could wait several years for her chance to get a little balloon...certainly you can wait a little longer until the gyms open back up.
Things were probably even worse in Palestine during the Crusades, or Baghdad when the Mongols invaded. Closer to our time, consider that very same WW2 example, but on the Eastern Front. 27 million dead, in the USSR. More than 10% of the population… many from starvation, untreated wounds, or outright torture.

It’s easy to find examples where in relative terms the present hardship is nugatory. And? Ought we not to consider the relative impact and consequence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
The liberal governors know they must lighten up to save face because their executive orders are being ignored now that they can no longer use police to enforce their unconstitutional decrees.

Standing in the way of easing restrictions and an improving economy isn't a path to winning elections.

You know this.
Actually, we don't yet know this. There may very well be a majority of voters that remains supportive of this inanity, preferring a "slow" and milquetoast opening, and eager to re-close with the least flaring-up of new cases. Never underestimate the power of fear!

These executive-orders are being ignored only sporadically and half-heartedly. And if the neighborhood gym flaunts the closure-diktat and dares to open, it's hard to believe that the local constabulary would idly stand by. It would be a confrontation. And wherever one stands on the issue of guns, you can bet who's going to win that confrontation.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:24 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
It's 100% political at this point.

In mostly Democrat governor controlled states, the continued stay-at-home/shelter in place orders are being extended as far out, and close to the election cycle as possible, in order to keep the economy closed and hurt it--as much as possible.

Then, pin everything on Trump. The deaths from COVID-19, the hurting economy, the unemployment.

This entire thing has been a sinister, devious plan from the start, as absolutely terrible and unbelievable as that sounds.

The hatred for Trump is that great, and Trump threatens the global elite's plans for globalism.

Trump has to be defeated--no matter the cost, in their minds.

It's an evil world we live in, and very sad how things are playing out.

I agree with your assessment. It's very sad. What's even more sad is the Democrats have had 4 very long years to groom a suitable candidate to defeat Trump and all they can muster up is Joe Biden? Before Biden, it was Hillary freakin Clinton??? Come on! What a sad lot of politicians. So if they can't beat Trump at the polls the traditional way, they go with the ultimate Hail Mary and use COVID as a weapon to marginalize Trump in hopes of stealing the November election.

It's dirty politics at it's finest.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:24 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It's none of the above. It's a combination of cover-your-posterior, a wholesale worship of the God of Safety, and a misallocation of priorities.

Nobody ever got fired or otherwise reprimanded for being "too safe". Ergo, the safety-culture runs rampant. The workman who gets the job done, without a hard-hat or safety-harness or the right equipment or whatnot, receives no reward for being quick, expeditious or cost-conscious. His counterpart, who refuses to start the job before every box on the checklist is checked, is instead the paragon of virtue.

Politics matters, but this goes beyond politics. It's more a question of culture.

We get 2 safety points if we are caught say climbing on top of the rail car without the harness on, and one point if we are not using our cut resistant glove. 6 points and you can get fired. Good safety gets you brownie points with OSHA, prevents lost time accidents, and unnecessary costs for medical care and potential lawsuits. It really makes sense we are having the response we are. It's not like in the 80's where you just hide your injury and keep working. Good post, by the way.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:35 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Any guvnerz (D or R because both teams have done them) that imposed lockups or shutdowns should stand trial for the crime.
They have been every bit as destructive as the looters/rioters in Mn.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Any guvnerz (D or R because both teams have done them) that imposed lockups or shutdowns should stand trial for the crime.
They have been every bit as destructive as the looters/rioters in Mn.

And many believe that the cost in human life of the lockdowns is greater than the cost in human life of the "pandemic".

Old 05-28-2020, 12:54 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
What do you think their motivation is?
Severe economic contraction that would otherwise take decades to transition into.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:08 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Then, pin everything on Trump. The deaths from COVID-19, the hurting economy, the unemployment.

This entire thing has been a sinister, devious plan from the start, as absolutely terrible and unbelievable as that sounds.
Look out. There's a sinister Democrat lurking under your chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Nobody ever got fired or otherwise reprimanded for being "too safe". Ergo, the safety-culture runs rampant. The workman who gets the job done, without a hard-hat or safety-harness or the right equipment or whatnot, receives no reward for being quick, expeditious or cost-conscious. His counterpart, who refuses to start the job before every box on the checklist is checked, is instead the paragon of virtue.
Safety is a bad thing now? Who knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So ... That would be all of them, then. What crimes have they committed, specifically? Please cite the law(s) in each state that backs up your assertions.

Here's a link to the Ohio Revised Code to get you started:
Lawriter - ORC

Old 05-28-2020, 02:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
What do you think their motivation is?
Government.

As I've said a Million times in the last 30 years, you can always count on government to over-react.

Over-reacting is what governments do best.

Governors and mayors ask Americans to social-distance and refrain from unnecessary activities.

Americans -- who are not Japanese or South Koreans or Taiwanese -- in typical American fashion gave The One-Finger Salute and did whatever they felt like doing.

Government in typical government fashion over-reacted by shutting down everything.

There was a middle ground.

It's unfortunate no one saw it.

The middle ground is a flexible response.

You order all businesses at 50% capacity, personal services like salon, gyms etc, everyone masks up, and for non-personal services like retail and restaurant, staff/employees mask up and the owners/managers can require patrons to wear masks. Everyone sanitizes daily. No exceptions. If necessary, call up National Guard units to enforce.

You see a restaurant violating the order, you get the manager and tell them they're now at 25% capacity and if you have to come back, they'll be closed as a public health risk.

That's really all that needed to be done.

Business owners will police themselves and Americans will pay attention to what store owners/managers say, but not what government says.

For large venues, you'll have to shut them down. Nothing you can do about that, but there'd have been less economic damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies