Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 12:53 PM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times

Advertisements

We are being told that voter ID laws are discriminatory because it burdens poor people and some minorities.

Serious question for anyone who is black, a person of color or a minority: Do you, or anyone you know who is legally able to vote - have any difficulty getting the proper info needed for an ID to vote - or physically getting the ID ? Do you mind or have a problem proving who you are when voting?

I have asked this question locally and no one knows of any - and wanted to ask a wider audience. Is this discriminatory argument a diversion to allow those who are not allowed to vote access to influence the election to support one party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 12:55 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Simply, it's a poll tax. If ID is required, it must be provided for free. To anyone, including homeless.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:05 PM

Are you able to answer the question?

Old 06-10-2020, 01:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
The issue for many older black folk is the Real ID part. My dad had to update his license a year ago and it took weeks to do so, why? Because he had to show his birth certificate to update his license.

My dad is a 70 y/o guy who served in the military for 27 years and moved all over the place. There was no way we were finding that birth certificate. So we had to order a new one, which was easier because they took another form of ID and is SS card, pay for that, wait for it to arrive.

Then we could update his license which also had a fee. So two payments and weeks later he finally would have able to update his voter registration if he needed to. In essence he would have needed a 2 month lead to get this done if I was not helping. I think most people believe this is a 1 day process.

What I saying is many older black folk do not even know where their birth certificate is. And if it is an original document then good luck with the state accepting it. Some of those documents, and I am talking real documents, look fake as heck. Just a few lines and a signature on regular paper is all down black folk were given at birth.

White folk forget old Black people were not born in white hospitals with good official documentation given at birth. Heck most were born at home and never really had an “official” birth certificate.

This is one of those topics that I think could get sorted out quickly if we had a functioning political system. Solving this should not require this much argument about ID.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:14 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Simply, it's a poll tax. If ID is required, it must be provided for free. To anyone, including homeless.
Said ID should be free if it isnt your drivers license that you already have.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:19 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
I am a minority - I’m Jewish - and nobody I know ever had difficulty getting an I.D.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Just a few lines and a signature on regular paper is all down black folk were given at birth.

White folk forget old Black people were not born in white hospitals with good official documentation given at birth. Heck most were born at home and never really had an “official” birth certificate.

So - here it is 2020. Someone who is 90 years old was born in 1930. I have a hard time believing that over the course of someones life - 90 years - they did not interact with govt. or be asked for documentation of some sort. Not your dad but these "others" that may be out there.... and I think there are exemptions for elderly folks already. The born in hospital / home part seems like a stretch honestly to this white folk.

In the end though - do you know of anyone who wants an ID or has trouble getting an ID to vote? Does your dad who has been around for 70 years know of anyone?

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
The issue for many older black folk is the Real ID part. My dad had to update his license a year ago and it took weeks to do so, why? Because he had to show his birth certificate to update his license.

My dad is a 70 y/o guy who served in the military for 27 years and moved all over the place. There was no way we were finding that birth certificate. So we had to order a new one, which was easier because they took another form of ID and is SS card, pay for that, wait for it to arrive.

Then we could update his license which also had a fee. So two payments and weeks later he finally would have able to update his voter registration if he needed to. In essence he would have needed a 2 month lead to get this done if I was not helping. I think most people believe this is a 1 day process.

What I saying is many older black folk do not even know where their birth certificate is. And if it is an original document then good luck with the state accepting it. Some of those documents, and I am talking real documents, look fake as heck. Just a few lines and a signature on regular paper is all down black folk were given at birth.

This is one of those topics that I think could get sorted out quickly if we had a functioning political system. Solving this should not require this much argument about ID.
Any stats to back up that statement ?

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I agree. Because, one, it's the right thing to do; and two, it takes away the "poll tax" argument, which in my mind is the only legitimate argument against requiring an ID to vote.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:22 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I am a minority - I’m Jewish - and nobody I know ever had difficulty getting an I.D.
This explains a lot.. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies