Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 06:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Exactly. If you want me to have an ID just to vote it should be free
That was part of the deal in Texas to have to show ID to vote, they made it free to get. Not a license, but a state ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 06:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
We are being told that voter ID laws are discriminatory because it burdens poor people and some minorities.

Serious question for anyone who is black, a person of color or a minority: Do you, or anyone you know who is legally able to vote - have any difficulty getting the proper info needed for an ID to vote - or physically getting the ID ? Do you mind or have a problem proving who you are when voting?

I have asked this question locally and no one knows of any - and wanted to ask a wider audience. Is this discriminatory argument a diversion to allow those who are not allowed to vote access to influence the election to support one party?
I know that in Texas it is a giant PITA if you've misplaced your identification. All of mine was stolen. The office for the birth cert wants your ID to obtain a copy, but you need that to get your ID. My Dad is alive so I was able to get one that way. (A parent can show ID and get a copy of their child's bc).

I helped a homeless person before and it took a while trying to get out of this round and round with no parent. We had to go to the Austin vital records (via computer) and pay for a BC to be mailed. But no one told us this - I had to figure it out by being sure there had to be a way out of the round and round and calling several agencies.

If memory serves, that would not have even worked had he not had a DL from before in the system. No idea how we'd of started from true scratch.

AZ is better. $12 and your thumbprint and they will re-produce a DL or ID within 15 minutes. And they stay valid for like 30 years.

Where I live in Texas there are no buses to go to the DPS office. There is a charity org that will take people, but the process is cumbersome to discover such services.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:25 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Here is what amazes me. The left keeps crying that the 2016 election was hacked. Then they fight against any measure to strengthen election security. They are even pushing for mail in voting. So which is it we were hacked and need to do something about it or say screw election security and just hope for the best?

Old 06-11-2020, 06:44 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,104 times
If you go down skid row in Los Angeles you can talk to a ton of people without the ability, knowledge or means to get a photo ID. I've talked to a few people about this in that area when I was volunteering just recently, so yes I've had first hand info...

Just because you don't personally know anyone without the ability to obtain an ID doesn't mean these people don't exist. Certain areas in the US have a track record of voter discrimination. The last thing we want to do is empower these people with the ability to suppress votes even more. Just look at what has been happening in Georgia.

A poll tax is illegal and we will not stand by idly while the same old type of people goes to work to disenfranchise anyone!!! If you're the "law and order type" maybe you should try and be hard on real crime like voter suppression. Maybe there needs to be a high minimum sentence for the people who use their power to disenfranchise voters...

Old 06-12-2020, 06:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I support legit voter ID requirements to ensure fair elections. What has been going on is excessive, with the single purpose of keeping poor Whites and all non Whites from voting. In AL for instance they passed a law that you needed a driver's license id to vote... then closed tons of clerks offices in the Black majority counties. Some people are over an hour from the nearest place where they can get a license! Also most places exclude secure and reliable govt issues public housing id's. Wonder why?
A photo ID is required. A DL is only one form of photo ID one can use.

List of DMV locations in AL:https://www.safemotorist.com/Alabama/DMV_Locations/

Old 06-12-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You didn't read the whole thread -- but it isn't just black people although they are impacted more.......

If you read all the documentation online and throughtout this thread -- there are circumstances where the person has a birth certificate and social security but not the marriage certificate -- so they are denied their voter ID.

You are assuming that the conditions of getting a VOTER ID are consistent and reasonable....but they aren't.

Many older folks are turned away because of new legislation, spelling errors on documents, etc.

These are people not inclined to be applying for a passport -- maybe haven't driven in years......etc......

Love how folks are saying-- just order it online....lol.....you have to have access for that.

I do think that if we had consistent policies throughout the states and as time passes and the record keeping has become more efficient, we will see this voter ID issue become less of a concern.

In the meantime...having a n 80 year old person who has voted number of times be denied the right to vote because their birth certificate doesn't have the same last name as some other document and they can't find their marriage certificate -- seems ridiculous.
Yep. I skipped over the dribble about one 99 year old black person who has no form of ID and just cant get one.
So if your information doesn't match, fix it. You know what women have to go through when they marry changing names on all their documents.

Excuses.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
If you go down skid row in Los Angeles you can talk to a ton of people without the ability, knowledge or means to get a photo ID. I've talked to a few people about this in that area when I was volunteering just recently, so yes I've had first hand info...

Just because you don't personally know anyone without the ability to obtain an ID doesn't mean these people don't exist. Certain areas in the US have a track record of voter discrimination. The last thing we want to do is empower these people with the ability to suppress votes even more. Just look at what has been happening in Georgia.

A poll tax is illegal and we will not stand by idly while the same old type of people goes to work to disenfranchise anyone!!! If you're the "law and order type" maybe you should try and be hard on real crime like voter suppression. Maybe there needs to be a high minimum sentence for the people who use their power to disenfranchise voters...
How many of those folks do you think would vote if they had the intelligence to secure a photo ID. I mean how would they even get to the polls?

Old 06-14-2020, 02:32 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,164 times
This might be a stop-gap solution to protect against voter fraud: anyone who doesn't have the proper ID - but does have some form of ID - will be allowed to vote - but they must have their picture and fingerprints taken.

This has a two fold benefit: 1.) it protects against voter fraud and 2.) you now have a list of people who need a proper ID and can help them get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies