Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 02:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes!!!! This.

My mom's house burned down when she was like 8 and all the family documents burned with it. She was born at home, the hospital is long gone. I have no idea what kind of birth records she has.

Birth certificates issued by hospitals are token documents and not legal documents. The birth would be registered with the county or state by the hospital or doctor.

Quote:
How on earth are you supposed to go 60 miles to the DMV when your local one was closed down if you can't drive?

This is something you need to do every four years, if you lived to 78 years old you would need to do it 15 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 02:18 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Birth certificates issued by hospitals are token documents and not legal documents. The birth would be registered with the county or state by the hospital or doctor.

This is something you need to do every four years, if you lived to 78 years old you would need to do it 15 times.
In my state its 8 years and you can renew online every other time.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:20 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
I support legit voter ID requirements to ensure fair elections. What has been going on is excessive, with the single purpose of keeping poor Whites and all non Whites from voting. In AL for instance they passed a law that you needed a driver's license id to vote... then closed tons of clerks offices in the Black majority counties. Some people are over an hour from the nearest place where they can get a license! Also most places exclude secure and reliable govt issues public housing id's. Wonder why?

Old 06-11-2020, 02:29 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Both my parents were born at home (they are white). They would be 99 and 90 years old. A birth certificate is need for many things like a DL, marriage, military, social security. Today replacement can be obtained easily on line. Why is it so much harder for a black person to get these documents than a white one.
You didn't read the whole thread -- but it isn't just black people although they are impacted more.......

If you read all the documentation online and throughtout this thread -- there are circumstances where the person has a birth certificate and social security but not the marriage certificate -- so they are denied their voter ID.

You are assuming that the conditions of getting a VOTER ID are consistent and reasonable....but they aren't.

Many older folks are turned away because of new legislation, spelling errors on documents, etc.

These are people not inclined to be applying for a passport -- maybe haven't driven in years......etc......

Love how folks are saying-- just order it online....lol.....you have to have access for that.

I do think that if we had consistent policies throughout the states and as time passes and the record keeping has become more efficient, we will see this voter ID issue become less of a concern.

In the meantime...having a n 80 year old person who has voted number of times be denied the right to vote because their birth certificate doesn't have the same last name as some other document and they can't find their marriage certificate -- seems ridiculous.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:37 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
In the meantime...having a n 80 year old person who has voted number of times be denied the right to vote because their birth certificate doesn't have the same last name as some other document and they can't find their marriage certificate -- seems ridiculous.
Easy enough solution: grandpa gets grandfathered in. As of when the legislation takes effect, everyone of a certain age or older (maybe start with age 70) is exempt, as long as they state their name, address, and date of birth to an election officer at the polling place, and the information matches their records for someone who has voted before. Every year, the minimum age goes up, so that over time, fewer and fewer people are exempt. So this way, the very elderly who lost their records in a fire many decades ago can still vote, but younger people can get their IDs if they don't already have one.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:38 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
My Dad, who passed away 2 years ago, was born in Puerto Rico. He had a legit birth certificate. However, over 10 years ago, the PR government declared all PR issued birth certificates null and void. It seems that many native-born PRs had become victims of ID theft committed by illegal aliens. Thus the government declaration. I remember telling my Dad that if he found himself ever needing to show his birth certificate, he would need to get a secured copy. He never did that because he figured that at his age, he doubted that he would ever need to do so. All that said, my Dad also had a current passport and, until a few years before his passing, had a valid drivers license. He never had any problems obtaining valid ID.

His younger sister, who is still alive, was born on the Mainland. She, too, has a valid passport and until she stopped driving, had a drivers license.

Neither of them ever had any problems securing these documents.

In the past, in similar threads in different places, when I've told their story, I was accused of being a liar by those who believe that all older minorities have no ID.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Exactly. If you want me to have an ID just to vote it should be free
Are you aware that every state has programs to help those who can't afford to secure valid? IOW, if they are financially needy they can get it for free.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:46 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You need an ID to get healthcare, open a bank account and to board a plane also. Those who argue against voter ID have an ulterior motive. They fool no one.

Or pick up from a pharmacy.
Or enter a government building.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
They are poor Americans, almost 100% in rural areas who were born at a time that rural America was basically third world. Some of these folk are probably Amish, Fundamental Orthodox Jews and Fundamental Mormons (don’t know about the last one as most Mormons I know are tapped into the modern world), some of these folk are poor black and Hispanic folk in places so rural the only access you have to them is a two lane road filled with potholes some of these folks are white folks in that exact same situation. People rant about extreme poverty in Urban areas but don’t know about true rural poverty in America which is much worse than any urban area.
Amish have birth certificates. In fact, when those who are of age want to leave the community, their parents are required to give them their birth certificates if they are asked for them.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:11 PM

556 posts, read 622,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
The issue for many older black folk is the Real ID part. My dad had to update his license a year ago and it took weeks to do so, why? Because he had to show his birth certificate to update his license.

My dad is a 70 y/o guy who served in the military for 27 years and moved all over the place. There was no way we were finding that birth certificate. So we had to order a new one, which was easier because they took another form of ID and is SS card, pay for that, wait for it to arrive.

Then we could update his license which also had a fee. So two payments and weeks later he finally would have able to update his voter registration if he needed to. In essence he would have needed a 2 month lead to get this done if I was not helping. I think most people believe this is a 1 day process.

What I saying is many older black folk do not even know where their birth certificate is. And if it is an original document then good luck with the state accepting it. Some of those documents, and I am talking real documents, look fake as heck. Just a few lines and a signature on regular paper is all down black folk were given at birth.

White folk forget old Black people were not born in white hospitals with good official documentation given at birth. Heck most were born at home and never really had an “official” birth certificate.

This is one of those topics that I think could get sorted out quickly if we had a functioning political system. Solving this should not require this much argument about ID.
Did he have a passport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies