Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 07:48 PM

860 posts, read 322,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Estimates are that around 90% of eligible voters have the required ID whether it's non license, military ID etc. That narrows further for registered voters.
Pretty easy to arrange for the other 10% to get free ID's.

Only 40-60% of those eligible to vote actually do so.

About Half of People Eligible to Vote Actually Vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 07:55 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Every state that has this will give you the ID for free if you need it for voting. The only expense someone might incur is for the birth certificate, the BC requirement is federal law to obtain "secure ID".

Furthermore if you want to make arguments about the expense and cost of this what about guns? Having an ID can be just the tip of the iceberg.
You need an ID to get healthcare, open a bank account and to board a plane also. Those who argue against voter ID have an ulterior motive. They fool no one.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:17 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,215,852 times
I have a simple solution to take care of the lions share of this problem. Simply require people who receive govt. benefits of any kind to provide the same valid proof of ID to receive their benefits as those required to vote.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:25 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You need an ID to get healthcare, open a bank account and to board a plane also. Those who argue against voter ID have an ulterior motive. They fool no one.
This is our elitism showing. The issue with voter suppression has everything to do with Americans who have never been on an airplane and in some cases never opened a bank account and in some cases never had health insurance.

Now you might say this is a small amount of people but 8% of Americans don’t have insurance, 7% of adult Americans don’t have a bank card, Somewhere around 13% of Americans have never flown on an airplane, their is massive overlap between all 3 of these groups and just by looking at your post for example that’s probably something like 5% of adult Americans who don’t have any ID from any of the above. Not every poor American receives welfare roughly 13 million people.

The entire voter ID argument is an elitist argument, it is me middle class American doesn’t know anyone who doesn’t have ID so why can’t we have these laws on the books.

I believe that these laws aren’t inherently bad but as others said ID must be provided for free or it’s a poll tax which is illegal by law. Also this combined with the unfortunate massive reduction in polling places over the years can easily be framed as voter suppression.

The problem here is y’all do what Oldglory does in his post, including myself and assume every American has flown, opened a bank account or have insurance.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I have a simple solution to take care of the lions share of this problem. Simply require people who receive govt. benefits of any kind to provide the same valid proof of ID to receive their benefits as those required to vote.
As I point out in my post this doesn’t solve the issue their are millions of poor people who don’t receive welfare.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:33 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,215,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
This is our elitism showing. The issue with voter suppression has everything to do with Americans who have never been on an airplane and in some cases never opened a bank account and in some cases never had health insurance.

Now you might say this is a small amount of people but 8% of Americans don’t have insurance, 7% of adult Americans don’t have a bank card, Somewhere around 13% of Americans have never flown on an airplane, their is massive overlap between all 3 of these groups and just by looking at your post for example that’s probably something like 5% of adult Americans who don’t have any ID from any of the above. Not every poor American receives welfare roughly 13 million people.

The entire voter ID argument is an elitist argument, it is me middle class American doesn’t know anyone who doesn’t have ID so why can’t we have these laws on the books.

I believe that these laws aren’t inherently bad but as others said ID must be provided for free or it’s a poll tax which is illegal by law. Also this combined with the unfortunate massive reduction in polling places over the years can easily be framed as voter suppression.

The problem here is y’all do what Oldglory does in his post, including myself and assume every American has flown, opened a bank account or have insurance.

Why does having the right to vote have to be easy? Who exactly are the people you throw statistics out for? Do you know any of them? Why don't they make an effort to make their voice heard? It is bunk to argue the the entire voter ID argument is elitist.

Someone posted a link to an article that showed the plight of 2 elderly people having trouble voting or getting the necessary documentation to do so. They got help and got what they needed. And they were elderly and disabled. Then there was an atty who said he deals with people who have trouble getting documentation all the time -- but do they qualify even? And is he telling the truth? Let's help those who can legally vote get what they need. Simple. The "they're too poor or they're too lazy or stupid" argument doesn't fly in the face of facts. Statistics are meaningless is you can't pinpoint the actual people counted. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE ?

Old 06-11-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Why does having the right to vote have to be easy? Who exactly are the people you throw statistics out for? Do you know any of them? Why don't they make an effort to make their voice heard? It is bunk to argue the the entire voter ID argument is elitist.

Someone posted a link to an article that showed the plight of 2 elderly people having trouble voting or getting the necessary documentation to do so. They got help and got what they needed. And they were elderly and disabled. Then there was an atty who said he deals with people who have trouble getting documentation all the time -- but do they qualify even? And is he telling the truth? Let's help those who can legally vote get what they need. Simple. The "they're too poor or they're too lazy or stupid" argument doesn't fly in the face of facts. Statistics are meaningless is you can't pinpoint the actual people counted. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE ?
They are poor Americans, almost 100% in rural areas who were born at a time that rural America was basically third world. Some of these folk are probably Amish, Fundamental Orthodox Jews and Fundamental Mormons (don’t know about the last one as most Mormons I know are tapped into the modern world), some of these folk are poor black and Hispanic folk in places so rural the only access you have to them is a two lane road filled with potholes some of these folks are white folks in that exact same situation. People rant about extreme poverty in Urban areas but don’t know about true rural poverty in America which is much worse than any urban area.

The argument that we have to care is that if you only believe in all the amendments only for 95% of Americans we have failed as a country. Americans have the right to vote or not vote, but to limit that in anyway is an infringement on their constitutional rights.

It’s not a racist argument it’s an elitist argument again, your asking who are these people because you’ve never seen them do to being a middle class American. The only reason why I’m not in the same headspace as you is because I come from Nigeria and I’ve met Nigerians, yes, Nigerians with the exact same mentality, except in their case it’s a delusion because we are talking half of that country there. If Nigerians who are educated, wealthy/middle class can hold the delusional believe that extreme poverty basically doesn’t exist in their country it’s 10 times easier for Americans to fall into that belief.

For example I’m sure this has been thrown at you but go to the poorest parts of the Mississippi Delta and drive around. In Texas post Harvey we went to a few of these communities all of them rural and it’s really bad in the poorest ones, rural Texas 9/10 is a gem. You just need to get some perspective and you wouldn’t be asking these questions.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 06-11-2020 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-11-2020, 10:01 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
They have certainly fooled their lapdogs, the stupid minorities.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:03 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
The requirements for the voter ID --- because those stats won't take your healthcare, bank account etc. as proof of your ID --- make it difficult for older black Americans to get their ID for technical reasons.

THey aren't trying to fool you --you are fooled on your own.

Just a side note -- most of the folks struggling to get their voter ID in states that are making it harder for them to vote every year probably on plane hopping much....

Old 06-11-2020, 10:09 AM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
I have read quite a few studies on this along with various methods use to arrive at the statistics. The question remains: where are these people who supposedly can't get the ID they need? I know from experience that statistics can be manipulated to arrive at any conclusion.

I have driven through the poorest neighborhoods and see people sitting on their porches glued to their smart phones. I have talked to black church leaders and none of them know of anyone who has trouble getting an ID or the documentation. Sure there are people who may need to update things - lawful voters - but this notion that they can't get it due to a burden of cost or time doesn't jive in reality with the published theory.

WHERE EXACTLY ARE THESE PEOPLE ? WHERE ?
In New Hampshire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies