Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 04:08 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Simply, it's a poll tax. If ID is required, it must be provided for free. To anyone, including homeless.

I know homeless people who can make hundreds a day pan-handling for money.
They would have no problem getting ID, at least fronting the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 04:11 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I don't see this getting resolved before the next election and the Dems will clearly try to gain votes through voter fraud. This is all a smokescreen IMHO and if I had the time I would did into the survey to read the population sample stats and actual questions asked.

I don't think it is too much to ask for fair and free elections. Maybe we should get some signs printed up to put outside ALL polling places that say "Voter Fraud is a felony punishable by fine and/or imprisonment -- and may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law" (both in English and Spanish)...

Next they will say that is intimidation - but why would it be when that is exactly what the law says.
The only fraud is those claiming voter fraud is rampant.

Present proof or st*u. Like broken records of whining.

To the OP:

Requiring an ID is fine as long as everyone has access to one for free and low burden to acquire.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:20 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
We are being told that voter ID laws are discriminatory because it burdens poor people and some minorities.

Serious question for anyone who is black, a person of color or a minority: Do you, or anyone you know who is legally able to vote - have any difficulty getting the proper info needed for an ID to vote - or physically getting the ID ? Do you mind or have a problem proving who you are when voting?

I have asked this question locally and no one knows of any - and wanted to ask a wider audience. Is this discriminatory argument a diversion to allow those who are not allowed to vote access to influence the election to support one party?
I'm not black, a person of color or a minority. I'm 65 years old. Almost every time I purchase alcohol, I'm asked to provide ID. Some places in PA have signs that say they card everyone. How do people without ID purchase alcohol? I think this also applies to tobacco.

I usually don't agree with right wingers on most issues, but I don't have an issue with voter ID.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Simply, it's a poll tax. If ID is required, it must be provided for free. To anyone, including homeless.

Every state that has this will give you the ID for free if you need it for voting. The only expense someone might incur is for the birth certificate, the BC requirement is federal law to obtain "secure ID".

Furthermore if you want to make arguments about the expense and cost of this what about guns? Having an ID can be just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Then we could update his license which also had a fee.

If you need the ID to vote every state has a provision to obtain one for free, they aren't going to give you license for free but if you don't have a license he could obtain free ID to vote.

As side not estimates put the amount of eligible voters who already have ID in the 90% range, this narrows for registered voters.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I agree. Because, one, it's the right thing to do; and two, it takes away the "poll tax" argument, which in my mind is the only legitimate argument against requiring an ID to vote.

Then you have nothing to disagree with because every state with this law has provision to obtain free ID.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Fine. Issue anyone who wants one, and can provide the necessary documents to show their identity and citizenship status, a free ID that's only good for voting. Problem solved.

I don't know if they are doing this in every state but here in PA they were issuing a regular ID. This is something a lot of people that don't drive already have and lot of them are going to be low income. Getting it free is a benefit. If this was simply a program to give free ID's to low income people Democrats would be all over it, it's only when you tie it to voting they think it is a problem.

If you are young you will need it to get in bar/buy alcohol, if you want to get on plane you will need it, bank accounts?. I just switched the electric and gas for a house and one of the things I needed to do was email them a copy of my ID...

Old 06-10-2020, 07:39 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Quote:
We are being told that voter ID laws are discriminatory because it burdens poor people and some minorities.

Serious question for anyone who is black, a person of color or a minority: Do you, or anyone you know who is legally able to vote - have any difficulty getting the proper info needed for an ID to vote - or physically getting the ID ? Do you mind or have a problem proving who you are when voting?

I have asked this question locally and no one knows of any - and wanted to ask a wider audience. Is this discriminatory argument a diversion to allow those who are not allowed to vote access to influence the election to support one party?
I'll guess that the bulk of the forum here is middle class and unlikely to know personally of poor people in that ID bind. But it's not a matter of what we're told - there are statistics. The most common ID is a driver's license, and I can easily believe that a poor person in a small town would be less likely to have a driver's license.

The point isn't whether it's impossible for a poor person to get the ID. The point is that a democracy shouldn't be creating barriers to voting.

And let's keep in mind that the instances of voter fraud like this are almost non-existent. The problem is voter suppression, not voter fraud.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:40 PM

860 posts, read 322,064 times
Quote:

No problem at all. EVERYONE who votes should be able to prove who they are. It is insane to do otherwise. The only ones who cannot vote with voter ID are people who are dead.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'll guess that the bulk of the forum here is middle class and unlikely to know personally of poor people in that ID bind.

Estimates are that around 90% of eligible voters have the required ID whether it's non license, military ID etc. That narrows further for registered voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies