Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 06:51 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what makes something a "spike" in cases? A sustained doubling? Tripling? Doubling hospitalizations in 2 weeks so the same #'s going forward would mean running out of ICU beds in 2 weeks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
There are all kinds of articles out there talking about the increases in many states. Hospitalizations are increasing in some. I encourage you to do your own research. I have. Whatever these states are seeing is giving them pause about opening up all the way.
if you've done your research, surely you can help us understand what constitutes a "spike" in cases.

I've seen the word "spike" used 100's of times - usually in the headline or the lede (opening paragraph). But I've never seen it quantified.

Oregon, cited in the article ...

US Average - removing the NY/NJ/CT/MA epicenter:

4,600 cases/MM
210 deaths/MM

OR:

1,275 cases/MM
41 deaths/MM

Oregon has not 100 cases in a day except exactly 1 day - June 3 was > 200 cases. So 1 day out of 120 is a spike?

here's their graph

https://public.tableau.com/profile/o...eOptions=false
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 06:53 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The virus & disease it causes was so heavily politicized, no productive discussion can be had about it. Everybody, on all sides, either has it all wrong or is outright lying for political reasons.

It's absolutely disgusting how people are using this, and that includes most on this board.

Frankly, the reaction to this has done more to convince me our society is cooked than the years of culture nonsense preceding it.
agree 100%

Old 06-13-2020, 06:59 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The CDC recently admitted that the lethality rate for CV19 is only .26%. Thats 1/4 of 1%. Considering that the vast majority of the deaths are among people in their 70's and 80's who are already in poor health, there isnt much for the general population to fear.
I am 72. I guess in your estimation I do not count?

Old 06-13-2020, 07:03 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
It’s no big deal. 99% get over it.
Then why do hospitals get overrun?

Old 06-13-2020, 07:05 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You can live your life while doing three simple things:

1. Wash your hands often. Use sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
2. Keep a six foot distance from other people.
3. Wear a mask indoors in public and outside if you cannot easily maintain social distancing.
I’ll wear a mask a bit longer, but definitely not forever.

It

Old 06-13-2020, 07:21 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am 72. I guess in your estimation I do not count?
Many older people probably believe that

they lived through polio, measles & flu epidemics, after MSM had hammered them with “scary” claims that turned out to greatly exaggerate the eventual consequences of each epidemic.

I think it is impossible to convince people one way or another. At the very beginning of the pandemic, I was on this board everyday to share useful information because I thought, "Well, we are all in this together." I love my country and I love my fellow Americans, and I need to do something. (this is what I thought)

But now, I believe we should all do whatever is the best for US, and US only. It is impossible to change minds. We can only change our own behavior. You do what you have to do, and I do what I have to do.

I was born in 1985 and have always been a pretty good athlete. I don't want this virus in my body, period. I don't know why so many people choose to focus on mortality rate, honestly, "you probably won't die" is just not good enough for me. I don't want to end up with permanent lung damage. My aunt has permanent lung damage (unrelated to covid), Even after treatment, weakness can be an issue. I don't want to end up like her. What's the quality of life after that? Nah, I don't want to "take a chance."

I will do what is the best for me. I have lost the desire to convince others that they should take it more seriously. It is a complete waste of time,

Divided Politics, Divided Nation, this is what we have. I honestly worry about this country's future.

Must add that I am not saying people should stop living. When I go out, I wear a mask, Social distancing for me is stay 15 feet away from others. *not 6* lol

In term of personal hygiene, well, I've been perfect anyway. =) If people don't want to do what I am doing, then it is not my problem

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-13-2020 at 07:38 AM..

Old 06-13-2020, 07:50 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Posters like that understand the reason, they just don't care about anyone but themselves.
Posters/people with self centered attitudes with little no regard for their fellow Americans nor society are actually making a STRONGER case for government control... not less.

Many/most of our laws legislated are a reaction to the peoples' honorary attitudes towards others.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:03 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
US Average - removing the NY/NJ/CT/MA epicenter:
NY are currently towards the bottom of the list with the lowest rate of COVID transmission....

I think there's a lesson in there somewhere... but people will ignore it.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:04 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The CDC recently admitted that the lethality rate for CV19 is only .26%. Thats 1/4 of 1%. Considering that the vast majority of the deaths are among people in their 70's and 80's who are already in poor health, there isnt much for the general population to fear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not really. There have been several in the media to say they are at risk of Covid like the Gridlockers who left their vehicles. I guess you don't pay enough attention to the MSM... Fox don't mention it because they know if the country doesn't reopen, we get Biden. They are motivated purely on politics not journalistic integrity.
Lmao. The media mostly attacked the lockdown protesters while praising the “racism” protesters. Fact

Old 06-13-2020, 08:11 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,451,436 times
If you expect me to care about Covid now, you can bump right off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies