Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 08:31 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,506,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
This. Flu kills more people.

I think 100k is not a big deal. Imo. It’s nothing compared to most of us. Just old people dying primarily
Flu generally doesn't kill more people. An average year in the US is 30,000 deaths from flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You're free to quarantine yourself and I encourage you to do so. You are scared. The rest of us have lives to live.
We all have lives to live. Too bad you think you are the only person that matters, and refuse to take basic precautions to help your fellow citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Washing hands is my choice and should be done as part of hygiene. Most people wash their hands regular but again that is still personal choice. As for six foot distance, if i am in public i have a right to make that decision and i can ignore it. No government should be able to tell me how far i must stay and/or walk from someone else. Same with mask except in a private business.
If you cough or sneeze on me while not wearing a mask and being too close, I am likely to take a large hard object and beat you senseless. Wear a mask so you don't harm your fellow citizens. It ain't all about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I do not care for the reason they are asking. Basically i am not going to let the government control me.
The government won't be controlling you, it will be your fellow citizens beating you senseless for being an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The CDC recently admitted that the lethality rate for CV19 is only .26%. Thats 1/4 of 1%. Considering that the vast majority of the deaths are among people in their 70's and 80's who are already in poor health, there isnt much for the general population to fear.
Why do you want my 84 year old mother to die? She's in good health for her age, but has a history of respiratory issues from having pneumonia multiple times as a child in South Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Lmao. The media mostly attacked the lockdown protesters while praising the “racism” protesters. Fact
The lockdown protesters were, and are, self centered, mouth breathing, brain dead morons. They deserved to be attacked. The "racism" protesters actually had a compelling reason to be out and about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 08:32 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Well, sure, now. They didn't flatten their curve at all, so they got the worst of it out of the way quickly. Other places did manage to do so, which means their peak was delayed by a few months. It's also the reason why NY was basically the only place in the country that actually had hospitals get overwhelmed.

Their pathetic failure led to many unnecessary deaths, but it did manage to get to the end of the curve more quickly than other places who did a better job of things.
This is actually wrong. Flattened since April. It is still flat today.

Other states experienced their own rise on a later timeline and also flattened but are currently rising again. The states that are rising were among the first to reopen aggressively.

Unnecessary deaths.. well thats a statement on bias and perspective. All deaths are unnecessary but you'd like to paint NY in bad light.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:33 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Is that why it is spiking in Texas and Florida?
Where hardly any protest went on?
I see you didn't watch the news.....

There were massive riots/protests in Texas just as I'm sure there was in Florida.....and the "spike" in Texas is less than what we're seeing in California right now.....wonder why those trying to spin things always leave them out?

Anyone with a brain knows that the hundreds of thousands of knuckle draggers taking to the streets "protesting" one of the 44 murders that happen every day in the US would lead to a LOT of people getting sick, but they were encouraged to do so by those who seek to benefit politically from bad things happening in the country.....and now those same bad actors are seeking to pin it on everything else.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I see you didn't watch the news.....

There were massive riots/protests in Texas just as I'm sure there was in Florida.....and the "spike" in Texas is less than what we're seeing in California right now.....wonder why those trying to spin things always leave them out?

Anyone with a brain knows that the hundreds of thousands of knuckle draggers taking to the streets "protesting" one of the 44 murders that happen every day in the US would lead to a LOT of people getting sick, but they were encouraged to do so by those who seek to benefit politically from bad things happening in the country.....and now those same bad actors are seeking to pin it on everything else.
The spikes started before the protests.... but yeh.. protests will also contribute but it is still early to tell their impact.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
This is actually wrong. Flattened since April. It is still flat today.

Other states experienced their own rise on a later timeline and also flattened but are currently rising again. The states that are rising were among the first to reopen aggressively.

Unnecessary deaths.. well thats a statement on bias and perspective. All deaths are unnecessary but you'd like to paint NY in bad light.
LOL, it didn't "flatten", it hit it's peak early because there was no "flattening". It's objective fact that NY did a pathetic job, it's kind of hilarious to even see someone trying to argue otherwise. Their response was a national embarrassment.

When I say "unnecessary deaths", I'm talking about those who died in NY and those states caught in their wake, who only died due to the local medical resources being overwhelmed.....something that didn't happen anywhere else.

Those states that re-opened earlier than others were those who did a good job dealing with the pandemic who never had massive spikes in cases, never had their medical resources overwhelmed.....hell Texas never got above 15% or so. When you have a flat curve, you can afford to relax things knowing that while there will be increases, they won't be increases that you can't deal with.

At the same time, you had hundreds of thousands of morons take to the streets all across the country which is going to make things considerably worse than it should have been, but it is what it is. No state is as incompetent as NY, so I'd bet they manage their medical resources and avoid the catastrophe that happened in the NE.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The spikes started before the protests.... but yeh.. protests will also contribute but it is still early to tell their impact.
By "spikes", do you mean "slight increases"?

Slight increases were expected and planned for, the morons in the streets complicated things, but even then there hasn't really been "spikes", just increases.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:47 AM

8,154 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
By "spikes", do you mean "slight increases"?

Slight increases were expected and planned for, the morons in the streets complicated things, but even then there hasn't really been "spikes", just increases.
Lol. TX has had about 40% increase in hospitalizations since Memorial day. Also the positive rate went from 5% to about 8% during the same period. If you call this a "slight increase", than ... Oh, well.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol. TX has had about 40% increase in hospitalizations since Memorial day. Also the positive rate went from 5% to about 8% during the same period. If you call this a "slight increase", than ... Oh, well.
Yup... MIL lives in Houston which has experience the increase. She had been mentioning it since before the protests. She was actually in support for reopening... the issue was the manner in which they did open...

Old 06-13-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
So they've gone from 57,744 cases on Memorial day to 85,641 as of yesterday, the case totals were always going to go up, a "spike" would be a situation where the total number of cases doubled in a week or even two weeks.

You'd have to multiply the number of cases in Texas by more than 3 to equal just what the state of NY is currently dealing with now that they are on the downside of their "curve".....that's why Texas was able to re-open and stop hurting their people a bit earlier than in other states.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
LOL, it didn't "flatten", it hit it's peak early because there was no "flattening". It's objective fact that NY did a pathetic job, it's kind of hilarious to even see someone trying to argue otherwise. Their response was a national embarrassment.

When I say "unnecessary deaths", I'm talking about those who died in NY and those states caught in their wake, who only died due to the local medical resources being overwhelmed.....something that didn't happen anywhere else.

Those states that re-opened earlier than others were those who did a good job dealing with the pandemic who never had massive spikes in cases, never had their medical resources overwhelmed.....hell Texas never got above 15% or so. When you have a flat curve, you can afford to relax things knowing that while there will be increases, they won't be increases that you can't deal with.

At the same time, you had hundreds of thousands of morons take to the streets all across the country which is going to make things considerably worse than it should have been, but it is what it is. No state is as incompetent as NY, so I'd bet they manage their medical resources and avoid the catastrophe that happened in the NE.
Just like your comment tying the increase to protests.. you are misinformed.

NY state didn't overwhelm but NYC did... that's a fact of life in a high population density area with lots of people flowing in and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies