Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 09:01 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Just like your comment tying the increase to protests.. you are misinformed.

NY state didn't overwhelm but NYC did... that's a fact of life in a high population density area with lots of people flowing in and out.
There are plenty of high population density areas in the US and NYC was the ONLY one that handled things so poorly as to overwhelm their resources. If you look at the states by deaths per capita, you see that NYC was such a pathetic failure that the top 3 states are a direct result of that failure.

But sure, you'll defend it while going after states that handled the pandemic infinitely better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 09:02 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
So they've gone from 57,744 cases on Memorial day to 85,641 as of yesterday, the case totals were always going to go up, a "spike" would be a situation where the total number of cases doubled in a week or even two weeks.

You'd have to multiply the number of cases in Texas by more than 3 to equal just what the state of NY is currently dealing with now that they are on the downside of their "curve".....that's why Texas was able to re-open and stop hurting their people a bit earlier than in other states.
Again.. mis informed to compare the two. Population density plays an important part of transmission rate. Population density of NYC for example 27000 people per sq mile and texas is something like 500 with Houston, being hit, at just over 3300 per sq mile.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Again.. mis informed to compare the two. Population density plays an important part of transmission rate. Population density of NYC for example 27000 people per sq mile and texas is something like 500 with Houston, being hit, at just over 3300 per sq mile.
No, I'm not "mis informed", it is a fact that NY did a pathetic job handling the pandemic. Pointing out that other states had different situations does not deflect blame for the pathetic job the "leaders" in NY did.

I get that you can't acknowledge that due to partisan reasons, but it is what it is.

The reason we have the system of government we do is exactly because different parts of the country require different responses. An incompetent response in NY to something like this will have much more dire consequences than an incompetent response in North Dakota, but pointing that out doesn't take heat off of the incompetent NY "leaders" who failed.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
There are plenty of high population density areas in the US and NYC was the ONLY one that handled things so poorly as to overwhelm their resources. If you look at the states by deaths per capita, you see that NYC was such a pathetic failure that the top 3 states are a direct result of that failure.

But sure, you'll defend it while going after states that handled the pandemic infinitely better.
NYC is the highest in the nation in terms of population density. They are also a major hub of transportation.. one of the largest in the nation. The two together are unique to NYC. Again misinformed.

Other states did not handle the pandemic better. They handled the economic impact of the pandemic better but at a cost to human lives. I am actually for opening states... but just not in the manner they decided. I'm happy that NJ and NY states are reopening... both made it clear that reopening is based on transmission rate not political.

Your political only process of thinking is shining through.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
No, I'm not "mis informed", it is a fact that NY did a pathetic job handling the pandemic. Pointing out that other states had different situations does not deflect blame for the pathetic job the "leaders" in NY did.
I'm pointing at states that have reported spikes in recent days.... It is not without reason (data is backing) and i'm not deflecting like you who ignores the uniqueness of the situation in NYC. There are other states that are doing better.... I haven't singled out a particular area.. you have. If anything you are deflecting with blame.

NYC is down and others are up. There is a lesson in there... but people willfully ignore.

You are misinformed.

Could we have done better in NY, NJ and NYC. Yes. Of course. Even NY governor said he could have done better but it was a dynamic situation with little data. Hindsight 20/20 is a btch! Others to ignore the NYC and NY situation and ignore the lessons that can be learned.. that's a problem.. that's failed leadership.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:12 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Well, let’s start with your Hollywood idols that pledged hundreds of thousands to bail democrat riot terrorists out of prison.
I have no "Hollywood idols", but thanks for your concern. As for bailing out protesters - who are different from rioters and doubtful that all are Democrats - that is a personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
So would you be willing to contend that these "protests" did not coincide with massive amounts of looting, burning, assault, murder, arson, etc.? Would you be willing to make the case here and now that none of "peaceful protestors" engaged in violence, looting, arson and rioting?
There have been dozens of protests in my county - none have involved violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
What experts are saying is irrelevant. It's just a flu. For that reason i refuse to wear a mask.
How sad for you that you're missing so many essential life skills, including responsibility and empathy. Furthermore, it's not "a flu"; it's a completely different virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
It’s no big deal. 99% get over it.
Incorrect. They don't die, but they don't "get over it":

https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...health-effects

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuac.../#160edff95979

https://www.click2houston.com/health...from-covid-19/

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
if they were just protesting they wouldn’t need bail, now would they?
How little you know about police.

Quote:
It turns out a lot of people didn't read properly and it went viral on social media.
What a surprise, eh? I have family in Michigan; they all along have been able to buy seeds and visit their vacation home.

Quote:
I've always wondered if the notion that you are an individual with no impact nor participation in society is part of the cohesive qualities of our society here in America.
That's fodder for another thread, but I fear it wouldn't be productive. So many people don't realize that with freedom comes responsibility, or don't understand what it means to live in a society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
This. Flu kills more people.

I think 100k is not a big deal. Imo. It’s nothing compared to most of us. Just old people dying primarily
Flu does not kill more people (look it up), nor is it killing only "old people". You can look that up, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
"Peaceful protestors" didn't and don't think COVID19 is a big deal.
Hm. Wonder why so many of them were wearing masks, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You can live your life while doing three simple things:

1. Wash your hands often. Use sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
2. Keep a six foot distance from other people.
3. Wear a mask indoors in public and outside if you cannot easily maintain social distancing.
That seems to be too difficult for so many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
As for six foot distance, if i am in public i have a right to make that decision and i can ignore it.
Then I would choose to ding you with my shopping cart if you don't keep your distance.
Quote:
No government should be able to tell me how far i must stay and/or walk from someone else. Same with mask except in a private business.
Here we go again with rights and responsibility. You can't have one without the other.

Do private businesses also have the right to tell you to keep 6 feet away from other patrons, or are you just going to do whatever you please there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Posters like that understand the reason, they just don't care about anyone but themselves.
You got that right. Disgusting behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
I’ll wear a mask a bit longer, but definitely not forever.
Well, at least you're doing that much, to your credit. The virus can't spread if it can't find a host. If the virus is confined in my mask, it can't infect you. The more people who wear a mask, the better off we all will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't want this virus in my body, period. I don't know why so many people choose to focus on mortality rate, honestly, "you probably won't die" is just not good enough for me. I don't want to end up with permanent lung damage.
And if that isn't a good enough motivation to wear a mask and keep 6 feet away from others, there is no hope for the spoiled, self-important, selfish people who are making a big fuss over simple disease mitigation measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
If you expect me to care about Covid now, you can bump right off.
You first.

Quote:
a mask that does almost nothing to protect themselves from getting sick
Have you read a newspaper, watched TV news, or listened to a state or municipal health department at all? Because that's not how masks work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
We all have lives to live. Too bad you think you are the only person that matters, and refuse to take basic precautions to help your fellow citizens.

If you cough or sneeze on me while not wearing a mask and being too close, I am likely to take a large hard object and beat you senseless. Wear a mask so you don't harm your fellow citizens. It ain't all about you.
Again, too complex of a concept for so many to understand. Pity them for being so brainless.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I'm pointing at states that have reported spikes in recent days.... It is not without reason (data is backing) and i'm not deflecting like you who ignores the uniqueness of the situation in NYC.

You are misinformed.
You are making excuses for NY while pointing fingers at states who handled things much better who have had slight increases since being able to re-open....despite the fact that a couple weeks ago hundreds of thousands of morons took to the streets to "protest" one of the 44 murders that happen every day in this country....

I'm just calling out your double standard. You accept pathetic failure while winging about those who did a better job.....and continue to do a better job.

Again, a true spike is when the case totals double every week or every two weeks. That's not a situation that is happening anywhere.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:17 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,145,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If you cough or sneeze on me while not wearing a mask and being too close, I am likely to take a large hard object and beat you senseless. Wear a mask so you don't harm your fellow citizens. It ain't all about you.

The government won't be controlling you, it will be your fellow citizens beating you senseless for being an idiot.
Keep dreaming, i can self defend myself. Your life do not matter to me, so no I will not be wearing a mask. If you are that afraid of getting sick, my suggestion is to stay home.

Quote:
You are making excuses for NY while pointing fingers at states who handled things much better who have had slight increases since being able to re-open....despite the fact that a couple weeks ago hundreds of thousands of morons took to the streets to "protest" one of the 44 murders that happen every day in this country....

I'm just calling out your double standard. You accept pathetic failure while winging about those who did a better job.....and continue to do a better job.

Again, a true spike is when the case totals double every week or every two weeks. That's not a situation that is happening anywhere.
You again... have no data to back it up.

I'm not pointing fingers.. I haven't singled out any state nor city. The data of the current rise in certain states is pointing the finger. not I.

Again.. could they have done better. Of course but given the lack of data/knowledge and being one of the first to see the situation, they did what they could do.

The issue here is not learning from the NY and NYC situation. That's willful ignorance.

Your political blindness is showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Have you read a newspaper, watched TV news, or listened to a state or municipal health department at all? Because that's not how masks work.
I would argue, given my profession, that I know how masks work considerably better than you do. The cloth masks, which are the majority of the masks you'll see worn, provide almost no viral protection. They can prevent people from touching their mouths and they can reduce the area you contaminate, but that's about it.

We're not talking about a situation where people are walking around with M95 or even legitimate surgical masks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies