Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 08:14 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Many older people probably believe that

they lived through polio, measles & flu epidemics, after MSM had hammered them with “scary” claims that turned out to greatly exaggerate the eventual consequences of each epidemic.

I think it is impossible to convince people one way or another. At the very beginning of the pandemic, I was on this board everyday to share useful information because I thought, "Well, we are all in this together." I love my country and I love my fellow Americans, and I need to do something. (this is what I thought)

But now, I believe we should all do whatever is the best for US, and US only. It is impossible to change minds. We can only change our own behavior. You do what you have to do, and I do what I have to do.

I was born in 1985 and have always been a pretty good athlete. I don't want this virus in my body, period. I don't know why so many people choose to focus on mortality rate, honestly, "you probably won't die" is just not good enough for me. I don't want to end up with permanent lung damage. My aunt has permanent lung damage (unrelated to covid), Even after treatment, weakness can be an issue. I don't want to end up like her. What's the quality of life after that? Nah, I don't want to "take a chance."

I will do what is the best for me. I have lost the desire to convince others that they should take it more seriously. It is a complete waste of time,

Divided Politics, Divided Nation, this is what we have. I honestly worry about this country's future.

Must add that I am not saying people should stop living. When I go out, I wear a mask, Social distancing for me is stay 15 feet away from others. *not 6* lol

In term of personal hygiene, well, I've been perfect anyway. =) If people don't want to do what I am doing, then it is not my problem
I had measles, but I was too small to remember it. Polio needed no MSM; people saw it personally in their communities. The consequences of epidemics could be seen in their families and friends.

Folks certainly did not need MSM to know what was happening with flu in 1918.

No, there was no MSM making unfounded claims about epidemics of infectious diseases. Hand hygiene and social distancing are free. There is absolutely no reason not to do them. Refusal to use a mask is just asinine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 08:16 AM

8,112 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The CDC recently admitted that the lethality rate for CV19 is only .26%. Thats 1/4 of 1%. Considering that the vast majority of the deaths are among people in their 70's and 80's who are already in poor health, there isnt much for the general population to fear.
Nope. Using NYC numbers from the antibody testing the rate was about 1%. With corrections for false positives and sample bias probably higher.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:17 AM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I had measles, but I was too small to remember it. Polio needed no MSM; people saw it personally in their communities. The consequences of epidemics could be seen in their families and friends.

Folks certainly did not need MSM to know what was happening with flu in 1918.

No, there was no MSM making unfounded claims about epidemics of infectious diseases. Hand hygiene and social distancing are free. There is absolutely no reason not to do them. Refusal to use a mask is just asinine.
Common sense is not so common these days.

To some, putting on a mask is mission impossible. lol

I have a friend (who is not a stupid guy) claims that he doesn't want to wash his hands if government told him to. How can you change minds like that? You can't.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:18 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
NY are currently towards the bottom of the list with the lowest rate of COVID transmission.... .
Well, sure, now. They didn't flatten their curve at all, so they got the worst of it out of the way quickly. Other places did manage to do so, which means their peak was delayed by a few months. It's also the reason why NY was basically the only place in the country that actually had hospitals get overwhelmed.

Their pathetic failure led to many unnecessary deaths, but it did manage to get to the end of the curve more quickly than other places who did a better job of things.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:20 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
MSM isn't what is telling me my fave restaurants are closing because of the spread of COVID.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:21 AM

well, the bottom line is that "good luck to you" if you think AT THIS POINT, you can still change minds.

Just do what is the best for you. OP certainly has good intent, but unfortunately, she's wasting her precious time.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:22 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I call BS until they condemn the BLM rioters and insurrections as the threat that they are. We all heard how dangerous and irresponsible it was for protestors on the opposite side were. If COVID-19 suddenly stops mattering when your political allies are protesting, rioting and wrecking everything in site, then clearly it never really mattered to you all that much. You never really considered it to be a serious threat to anyone. It was just a convenient excuse to make violating the rights of the political opposition seem legitimate.

What will they say if there's a massive spike in Covid-19 in all those Democrat-controlled cities -- the ones that their psychotic little Communist foot-soldiers just burned down -- in about a week or so? My money's on them them saying not a damn thing.
Is that why it is spiking in Texas and Florida?
Where hardly any protest went on?

Old 06-13-2020, 08:24 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Quote:
well, the bottom line is that "good luck to you" if you think AT THIS POINT, you can still change minds.

Just do what is the best for you. OP certainly has good intent, but unfortunately, she's wasting her precious time.
Exactly! Just let those that feel like they need a security blanket roll around with a mask that does almost nothing to protect themselves from getting sick if that's what they need and let everyone else live their lives. Trying to win over hearts and minds is kind of pointless, people will do what they want to do in the end.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:27 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Divided Politics, Divided Nation, this is what we have. I honestly worry about this country's future.
While I do agree and do worry about our country's future, try not to let a small sample (which CD is relatively small compared to the rest of the nation's populace) skew your frame of mind and perceptions of the wider picture.

Social media also skews the reality. There's a facebook group of locals with an individual who seemed extremely aggressive and angry at masks. Yet, I saw him at the grocery store.. .yep... wearing a mask. I guess starvation is a great motivator... haha.

My area was hit hard by COVID due to our proximity to NYC. My area is intimately tied to every thing NYC; economics, real estate, work, people, community, etc. Things are improving quickly and starting to open up slowly because people are practicing social distancing and wearing masks. Some would say they were scared straight... I like to think they came to their own senses.

In NJ, all but 1 county has a transmission rate of less than 1. That's good considering we were at over 5 when stay-at-home was ordered.

States that opened up quickly in hopes to get the economy jump started, unfortunately, are probably going to end up doing the opposite and hurting their own economy as transmission rates spike up and down.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Posters/people with self centered attitudes with little no regard for their fellow Americans nor society are actually making a STRONGER case for government control... not less.

Many/most of our laws legislated are a reaction to the peoples' honorary attitudes towards others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Exactly! Just let those that feel like they need a security blanket roll around with a mask that does almost nothing to protect themselves from getting sick if that's what they need and let everyone else live their lives. Trying to win over hearts and minds is kind of pointless, people will do what they want to do in the end.
Actually, I agree with both usayit, and bobby, both made excellent valid points.

It just sucks and we all have to deal with this covid-19 b.s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies